Riddle for the Castanauts.

Just what it says. Games. On a forum.

Re: Riddle for the Castanauts.

Postby Glacier » Aug 1st, 2017, 9:45 am

JagXKR and Glacier were having a heated argument at the pub last night. JagXKR smashes his pint on the floor and exclaims, "you clueless *bleep*, you'd have to be living in a cave to not notice that this has been one of the top five hottest Julys on record!"

Glacier slams both of his pints down on JagXKR's head and retorts, "no, July was actually bang on the average around here!"

GordonH wonders over from the neighbouring table, "I couldn't help but overhear your conversation. I just want to point out that you're both right."

Question: GordonH is right, but how can this be?
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 7682 posts

Postby neilsimon » Aug 1st, 2017, 9:59 am

Glacier wrote:JagXKR and Glacier were having a heated argument at the pub last night. JagXKR smashes his pint on the floor and exclaims, "you clueless *bleep*, you'd have to be living in a cave to not notice that this has been one of the top five hottest Julys on record!"

Glacier slams both of his pints down on JagXKR's head and retorts, "no, July was actually bang on the average around here!"

GordonH wonders over from the neighbouring table, "I couldn't help but overhear your conversation. I just want to point out that you're both right."

Question: GordonH is right, but how can this be?

Maybe I'm going about this too literally, but I'm a bit of a mathematician, so you'll forgive me.
Assuming by average you mean mean, if the mean is above the median, you can have an mean/average value only shared or beaten by a small number of samples, while the vast majority of samples are below average. This does tend to require some significant values on the high end of things to keep the average above the median.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 766 posts

Postby Glacier » Aug 1st, 2017, 10:20 am

You are on the right track, sort of. I hinted at the answer in the "Weather Appreciation" thread. Basically, JagXKR was talking about the average daily maximum temperature, which was the 3rd highest ever recorded in Penticton and the 5th highest in Kamloops. 31.7C in Penticton and 32.2C in Kamloops.

For interest sake, the hottest ever for Penticton was 1985 when the average daily maximum was 32.6C. For Kamloops, the hottest ever was 1960 when the average daily maximum was 33.3C.

By contrast, Glacier was referring to the average daily lows. Penticton had an average daily low of 13.4C in July and Kamloops 14.1C. The normal or average daily lows for these two cities in July are 13.3C and 14.2C. Therefore, Penticton was 0.1C above average and Kamloops was 0.1C below average. So Glacier was also right about July being average, though it looks like he was trying to get off on a technicality so to speak since no one really cares how cold it is at night when everyone is sleeping.

Again, for interest sake, the hottest ever for Penticton was 1998 at 15.8C; for Kamloops it was also 1998 at 17.1C. The coldest was 1954 at 10.4C and at both places.
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 1st, 2017, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 7682 posts

Postby neilsimon » Aug 1st, 2017, 10:23 am

Glacier wrote:You are on the right track, sort of. I hinted at the answer in the "Weather Appreciation" thread. Basically, JagXKR was talking about the average daily maximum temperature, which was the 3rd highest ever recorded in Penticton and the 5th highest in Kamloops. 31.7C in Penticton and 32.2C in Kamloops.

By contrast, Glacier was referring to the average daily lows. Penticton had an average daily low of 13.4C in July and Kamloops 14.1C. The normal or average daily lows for these two cities in July are 13.3C and 14.2C. Therefore, Penticton was 0.1C above average and Kamloops was 0.1C below average. So Glacier was also right about July being average, though it looks like he was trying to get off on a technicality so to speak since no one really cares how cold it is at night when everyone is sleeping.

Ah yes, a different solution, and one I missed. Good one!
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 766 posts

Previous

Return to Forum Games