Cat scared silly

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Re: Cat scared silly

Post by MalaPropina »

Give kitty his own room!! Somewhere quiet without anything like a bed to hide under but with someplace he can feel safe. like a cardboard box or a chair with a blanket over it. Make sure there is food and water and a litterbox, toys, blankets etc. Leave him alone for a while so he feels safe there.

When you go in, talk softly but don't approach, Spend some time in the room with him once he calms down. Take your book or your coffee or laptop/tablet etc and just sit and let him get used to you. Once he relaxes a bit try to entice him with interactive toys (the 'fishing rod' type works well...lets him interact without making contact with you) He will eventually start to trust you and maybe you can get him to take treats from your hand. After he gets a little more comfortable get one of the wand teaser toys with the feathers on the end and play...if he's getting more trusting start 'petting' him with the toy.

You have to take it slow...but its important to keep him confined so he feels safe and secure until you start earning some trust. I've fostered feral cats and these methods worked like a charm to start forming a trusting bond. good luck. keep us posted.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The crazy thing is I did this with a wild cat a long time ago.

But this kitty had the run of the whole house, hides during the day and comes out to play at night. He's only really scared of me.

I am following Pointdexter's advice and pretending I don't see him, at all.

And Lore's with the chicken baby food in a few weeks. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Okay, I used the "red dot" to have him chase around and actually had him beside me and on the sofa attacking my toes.

[icon_lol2.gif]

So much for ignoring him. He knew I was playing with him.

Right now he's on the sofa getting pets and scratches from Mr. QK.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Haven't seen him all afternoon. Usually by supper he's up and around with us. :135:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Okay, he disappeared for the day and came out just an hour ago.

He jumped up on the sofa and proceeded to accept all kinds of luvin' up. Ear scratches, tail scratches, petting and even gave my hand a taste (kitty kiss?).

This is progress. I hope he doesn't revert back to running away at every little move though.

For now :yahoo:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ha, we are getting a repeat from what we saw yesterday. He's tuckered himself out playing with his favourite toy around the cat tree. Throwing into the air and pouncing on it, packing it around the tree and then throwing it again and pouncing. Yesterday he did this for an hour while we watched tv. Today he's doing it now, and yes, he can see us watching him play.

This is great progress. We don't rush at him to make him feel safe to play, in fact, it's better not to look over too obviously.

I suspect he'll be a great house cat for us in the future.

Question: why do cats prefer ratty old favourite toys over newer ones? :135:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote: even gave my hand a taste (kitty kiss?).

You better hope he doesn't like your flavor. :D :200:
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

He accepted treats from my hand today. :biggrin:

Progress!

And he ate it right from my fingers too. Again, I got a cat kiss.

But then skittered around me to go for the water bowl.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Up date:

The cat formerly known as "Still under the bed" has made himself right at home.

He was really canny about going to the vet, hid so well the first time we couldn't find him and the second time I had to drag him out, wrap a towel around him and shove him head forward into the carrier.

SO, what is it today? They're going for another ride, but dont' suspect a thing. We've been very very careful.

Report later.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”