House training a Yorkie

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
canadianairfarce

House training a Yorkie

Post by canadianairfarce »

Anyone got some experience with house-breaking a small yorkie?

My little guy is 9mths old today. His bowel movements are sporadic, so I can never be sure when to take him outside. He does not always let me know when he wants to go, and sometimes it happens quickly and too late to take him out. I am frustrated with him at this point, I have tried all the usual training tricks (I've trained other dogs before), but my yorkie seems impossible to train. He suddenly stopped sleeping on my bed about 6 days ago, and now sleeps in his kennel in the kitchen, and wakes me up anywhere in the middle of the night to go outside. I am bewildered as to why he doesn't want to sleep on the bed anymore. Help please. :200: :-X [b][/b]
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Happy New Year, simplify, and welcome to C-Nut!! :130:

Obviously nine months is pretty old for a pup to still not be house-trained, you must be at your wits end... :( I heard from a dog-trainer recently that this is sometimes caused when a pup is taken away from it's mother too early (less than 6/7 weeks..?).

I'd suggest taking your pup out every hour, on the hour, then every two, hours, then extend it to every three hours, etc.
Really praise him when he poops outdoors! :123: If he has an accident indoors, say 'NO!' firmly then immediately put him outside for a few minutes.

I'd also strongly recommend crate-training him, especially as he seems to want to sleep in his own kennel, rather than on your bed. If all else fails, have a chat with your Vet.

Good luck! :smt023
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Baba O'Riley wrote:Happy New Year, simplify, and welcome to C-Nut!! :130:

Obviously nine months is pretty old for a pup to still not be house-trained, you must be at your wits end... :( I heard from a dog-trainer recently that this is sometimes caused when a pup is taken away from it's mother too early (less than 6/7 weeks..?).

I'd suggest taking your pup out every hour, on the hour, then every two, hours, then extend it to every three hours, etc.
Really praise him when he poops outdoors! :123: If he has an accident indoors, say 'NO!' firmly then immediately put him outside for a few minutes.

I'd also strongly recommend crate-training him, especially as he seems to want to sleep in his own kennel, rather than on your bed. If all else fails, have a chat with your Vet.

Good luck! :smt023

Eight weeks minimum to be taken from mom. Six weeks they are still feeding from mom. I've had dogs but taken no earlier than 6 weeks - I was then feeding from hand (very tiring). As far as housebreaking, that is a feat no matter what the age of the puppy. Every time they drink or eat, expect to take the pup outside for an extended period of time. Right now, I'd be asking what has changed his habits?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Fancy wrote:
Baba O'Riley wrote: ... this is sometimes caused when a pup is taken away from it's mother too early (less than 6/7 weeks..?)

Eight weeks minimum to be taken from mom. Six weeks they are still feeding from mom. I've had dogs but taken no earlier than 6 weeks...

Absolutely! :smt023 I too think 8 weeks is the preferable age, but many other people say anything between 6-8 weeks. I recently heard of a case where someone had a pup at 5 weeks... :smt107 The trainer I spoke with said this could lead to house-training & aggression probs.

Fancy wrote:Right now, I'd be asking what has changed his habits?

I got the impression that simplify's pup has always had a house-training prob...? :129:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

From what I've seen Terriers are simply a pain in the hind quarters to train.

My significant other has a Cairn Terrier that's almost three years old and the little dufus still wets in the house when the urge hits.

He gets walked and does his thing outdoors yet often shortly after returning he'll go in the house.

Tried rubbing his nose in it, whacking him with newspaper, praising him when he goes outside yada yada yada but basically he does what he wants.

What I find most frustrating is that he's quite intelligent in other areas.

I've always had larger animals like Labs, Malamute, Samoyed and such which never ever caused me this much hassle.

I'm now of the mind that it has a lot to do with being an ankle biter breed.
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

LoneWolf wrote:I'm now of the mind that it has a lot to do with being an ankle biter breed.

Possibly..? :132: I'm not a yappy ankle-biter fan either...! :127:

Sounds like your 'friend' needs an outdoor kennel - then he can pee when/where he likes!! :lol:
canadianairfarce

yorkie house-training

thanks for all the replys.....just to clarify things a bit.....my little guy was with his mother & father and other pups until he was 12 weeks old, thats when I got him. (But I don't know when he was weaned from Mom) He also was on a small farm, with lots of outdoor play. I have crated him, scolded him, rewarded him, done everything the books tells me, but sometimes he just does it when and where he feels like it. Sometimes, he lets me know he wants to go by frantically pacing back and forth to the door, other times, he just quietly squats and does it inside. But he is very smart at everything else! Because I live in a townhouse condo, it is not safe for him to be left outside by himself, birds of prey hover sometimes looking for lunch! Nothing has changed in my life, he just has been difficult right from the start, he is definitely better, but still has "accidents" I can't trust him at all. He is not destructive in any way, thankfully. Maybe because he is so small, his bowls are not fully developed yet? :125:
shynee

house training

Post by shynee »

Monitor his food and water intake closely. Always take him out shortly after he eats or drinks. The crate should be small for a small dog. If you only have a large crate, put a box in it upside down to make his living quarters smaller. Make sure the pup is only getting a good quality dog food and avoid any treats, bones or people food that may be upsetting his system.

When he is out of the crate, I would keep him on a leash, close by you during the training period. This will enable you to monitor hims closely. If he has had ANY accidents in the house clean them with a special enzyme cleaner (you can buy it at walmart) to remove any trace of urine or fecal matter.

Good luck.
canadianairfarce

training my yorkie

Hi all:

I am happy to announce that my little yorkie has finally turned the corner, and now lets me know when he needs to go out. Yep......I would say yorkies are harder to train than other breeds. Perhaps its their small organs that it is at the heart of the matter. I think in part, he caught on from being in doggie daycare for a whole day once a week. Perhaps they learn from watching the older dogs. I now enjoy my little guy....what a change. :123: thanks for all your comments :130:
westsidemom
Board Meister

Post by westsidemom »

After my yorkie-cross was house trained, we hung a little bell on the door. When he has to go outside, he walks up and bangs the bell to let us know. It works great and has eliminated whining and/or barking.
Ignorance is curable; stupidity is not...
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

How cute is that! I knew a guy who had a beautiful collie, it was very smart and very well trained. The owner installed a doorbell at the bottom of the door with a special large button, so the dog could ring when he wanted in.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
westsidemom
Board Meister

Post by westsidemom »

gardengirl wrote:How cute is that! I knew a guy who had a beautiful collie, it was very smart and very well trained. The owner installed a doorbell at the bottom of the door with a special large button, so the dog could ring when he wanted in.

I love collies, they are sooo smart! A doorbell is such an awesome idea! :124:
Ignorance is curable; stupidity is not...
Belle Rose

Post by Belle Rose »

I :skippingsheep:
Last edited by Belle Rose on Feb 29th, 2008, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

My Parents are the proud owners of a Coker Spaniel (Pig) named Boris. I named him many moons ago after a Who song "Boris The Spider" anyway....

In 2000 My Mom was home recovering from a serious bout of cancer. WE had to move her bedroom to the main floor of the house. Boris her loyal companion would never leave her side. Only to go to the bathroom. He would go to the back door and scratch, but Mom could never here it. So needless to say Bo-Bo started peeing in the house.
So Dad had an idea:

He put the bell at the at the back door and spent a day with Bo-Bo showing him how to use the bell.

Success!!! Whenever he had to go out, he would use his paw and slam it down on the bell. Thus letting Mom hear him and go let him out.

To this day (My Mom is cancer free) Boris still uses the bell.

Animals are absolutely amazing!!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
canadianairfarce

house training a yorkie

KDG......I had my puppy fixed at 7mths, but to be honest it did'nt help with the house training.

Triple 6.......I initially tried tying 2 xmas bells on the end of a rope to the door knob, and showed him how to use them, but he was afraid of them. I tried it for a long time, but no succes. Mostly he is trained now, but he is not clear about letting me know that he needs to go outside. Sometimes he paces around franticly & I'll take him out. Other times, he gives me no signal at all, and he will poop inside. In the last few days he has pee-ed twice and pooped 3 times. S0000000000.....maybe I'll get a bell like yours and teach him how to use it. I'll keep the receipt (in case it doesnt work) thanks for all the feedback

Return to “The Pet Lounge”