Fevers in Cats

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Fevers in Cats

Post by gardengirl »

Our cat lost his voice last Sunday. We took him to the vet on Monday and they found he had a very high fever. They prescribed oral antibiotics. By Wed he was actually worse. He was listless, and vomitting and completely off his food. We took him back and they did a whack of blood and urine tests. "Everything came out fine. They switched to an antibiotic injection and added a fever/pain medication. They also did fluids as he was dehydrated. They took xrays to rule out ingestion of foreign bodies. They also did a test for pancreatitis which came out negative.

We took him back yesterday and things are pretty much the same. We were sent home with medications and fluids and have to bring him back on Sat.

He is not responding to the medications and they still have no idea what is wrong with him.

As of this morning, he has had a fever of 39-40 degrees C since Monday and has not eaten since Tuesday night.
Has anyone else ever had this happen? What was the outcome?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Fevers in Cats

Post by Catz »

No of mine have ever been that sick, sorry to hear that. Have they checked for feline lukemia?
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I just typed in fever with cats, and it has a few explanations, but I don't know how to copy and paste...sorry.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Puffy wrote:No of mine have ever been that sick, sorry to hear that. Have they checked for feline lukemia?

Yup. They checked for all the usual suspects, feline leukemia, feline aids, all the stuff they immunize for.

We need Dr. House for cats.
mlsram
Fledgling

Post by mlsram »

A few years ago our cat became ill and lost his voice so we took him to the vet. They did not perform any tests at the time but prescribed us colloidal silver that we had to administer by drops down his throat. It worked for us and within days he was much better but it took awhile for him to get his voice back. I have seen colloidal silver at health stores and is around $10 so it was a cheap natural remedy. Hope this helps.......sorry about your cat.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

mlsram wrote:A few years ago our cat became ill and lost his voice so we took him to the vet. They did not perform any tests at the time but prescribed us colloidal silver that we had to administer by drops down his throat. It worked for us and within days he was much better but it took awhile for him to get his voice back. I have seen colloidal silver at health stores and is around $10 so it was a cheap natural remedy. Hope this helps.......sorry about your cat.

Thanks for the suggestion. I suspect you go to Dr. Moira.
It is more than just no voice though, he is vomitting has diarrhea and a very high temperature.
I am starting to wonder if is some wicked flu virus.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Lesson learned. Don't take your cat to Puffys. Please keep us posted as the situation improves. Cats are tough little buggers.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-flu.htm

I'm assuming you've check up on the feline flu symptoms but I noticed the suggestion of tempting the cat with sardines (strong smell) if they are off their food.

Fingers crossed your cat makes a speedy recovery.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
mlsram
Fledgling

Post by mlsram »

Have you consulted another Vet? Perhaps the SPCA can offer some advice. When my cat was ill he also did not eat, he vomited but as far as I recall he did not have diarrhea. Sounds like a virus to me......poor kitty!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I know for a fact that there is a cat expert on these forums, just shy. Come on and help GG out okay LORE?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Just bumping this up - just wondering (as a cat lover) what's happening? Any good news to report?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Is there a chance the cat was in a fight, Cat scatches can cause that type of infection. So I have been told anyway. Best of luck.
Black Dogs Matter
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Tootsie wrote:Just bumping this up - just wondering (as a cat lover) what's happening? Any good news to report?

I am wondering, as well, and keeping my fingers crossed.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Kitty is much better. He is still on 2 kinds of antibiotics, but is eating and has better energy.
After all the examinations and all the tests, there is still no apparent reason for the illness.
Apparently, there is something called Fever of Unknown Origin. Basically, they can't figure out why the cat is sick.

There were 4 Vets at the clinic looking at the chart. They also did an online consultation on a Vet Forum and got no answers. We are to finish the medications and take him back next week for a check. They want to see him again in one month for follow up.

Visit #1
Monday
His first symptom was loss of voice and high temp 41c.
No apparent injuries, checked for bights, scratches, checked teeth, eyes and throat.
He was given Clavamox (antibiotic), and had no improvement.
Vomitting and diarrhea added to fever. Cat was very ill, lethargic and in obvious pain.
Objected to being touched.

Visit #2
Wed
They did urine tests and a pre-anaesthetic blood panel.
Found increase white cell count, indicative of infection.
Physical exam showed no injuries, abscesses or swelling.
Changed to Baytril (antibiotic) and added Metacam (antipyretic/analgesic), subcutanteous fluids.
Fever still present 39c, and cat was not eating or drinking, vomitting and diarrhea.

Visit #3
Thurs
Tested for FLV (Feline Leukemia Virus) and FLP (Feline Leukopenia Virus), both negative.
They did ultrasound and found nothing.
Xrays, found nothing. Retested urine and blood; nothing except increased white cell count which is indicative of infection. Sent bloodwork to Vancouver to test for feline Pancreatitis; nothing.
Continued meds and sub Q fluids. Fever of 39c.

Visit #4
Sat
No significant improvements. Initiated force feeding on Friday.
Continue meds and sub q fluids. Added Metronidizole to address diarrhea. That evening, showed improvement in energy level, temp returned to normal.

Visit #5
Monday
Great improvement, voice returning. Maintained normal temp, eating and drinking on his own, but physically weak. Sent bloodwork to Vancouver (CBC-Complete blood count) to be reviewed by pathologist.
Results show improvements in white cell count, no other apparent anomalies.

After all the tests and all the consultations with all the Vets, they are stumped.
On the upside, the cat is much better and getting his strength back.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I am so happy to hear that.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”