12 friendliest dogs

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

12 friendliest dogs

Post by WeatherWoman »

"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: 12 friendliest dogs

Post by Fancy »

I'd agee with friendliest dog to adults, but not necessarily to little children, and assuredly not to other dogs or cats in some cases.
I'll go further though to see the best of the best, attend a dog show and talk to the breeders who have first hand experience.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

I had heard that despite the image of labs (and the amount of families that have them), retrievers in general are not 'good' family pets. Then again 99.5% of what makes a dog a suitable family pet is in the training and love you give it so. . . :129:
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

That's an interesting top 12. Some I would agree with, and some not so much. To me, when I think of a friendly dog, it's one who is happy and friendly by nature to everyone it meets and greets. I watched Dogs 101 tonight on tv and they featured the Papillon. One of the comments in the summation was it can be nippy with small children.

I know labs are very popular with families, but I've known more unfriendly labs than friendly ones. Just my experience though. The Brittany and Cavalier spaniel are definitely tops in friendliness. The Japanese Chin is a gorgeous little dog, but one you don't see often. I'd never even heard of them until a few years ago. I'm surprised the pug wasn't in the top 12. I've yet to meet a pug that is not happy and friendly and I wonder if a Pug even knows how to bite...lol

~D
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I am surprised at that list too but then again I went a while ago to look at the toughest top ten and the scariest top 20 and those lists surprised me as well. I wanted to make sure my choice in a dog wasnt gonna hit those lists and according to those who put the lists together I am betting it was just their own feelings based on dogs they met rather then a statistics kind of list. I saw one on utube and at the end of the very long video, the guy said thats my opinion, kinda erked me.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I have also met a couple very friendly pugs. Our Shih Tzu is also extremely friendly to all he meets. I was thinking they MUST be number 13!

In the research I did prior to adopting a dog, shih tzus rated high on the social scale. Can't recall pugs. Schnauzers, for example, were low on the social scale, but high on the protective and intelligence scales.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I saw that schnauzers and even the breed of dog I have need to be raised with kids to be very friendly and if raised as a pup that way they can be excellent for socializing. If not they can be over protective of an adult owner alone. They need to see the whole family thing and even cats if possible as a pup.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

What is friendly based on? My dogs are super friendly and would give any of those a run for their money.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

YAY! I have #1 :sunshine:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Here's an interesting list I found. The top 10 kid friendly dogs. I'm not surprised to see the beagle, boxer and spaniel's on the list. I was surprised by some others. Any list however is very subjective.

http://www.squidoo.com/top-ten-kid-friendly-dogs

~D
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

For a lot of breeds, it probably comes down to the dog's socialization when it was a puppy.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

^^^ Absolutely.

I really believe though that some breeds are naturally friendly and happy go lucky, others have a more protective instinct and some are naturally wary of strangers.

~D
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Again my dog isnt on there, oh well, she just being recognised in North america recently so gonna have to wait a while but then again she is supposed to be a working dog and like said earlier it is about the raising of them, Mine lived with small kids for her first 8 months so we will have to keep her sociallized to make sure she will stay friendly as well as doing her job.
I think I will try to tkae her on a bus a few times with Wolfie and see how she makes out with other people.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Wonder what they based those choices on ? The site owners favorites ? I agree with strawberry's comment below. Can't believe they didn't list my Aussie Shepherd there .

Then again 99.5% of what makes a dog a suitable family pet is in the training and love you give it
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Here is an interesting 'Top 10' pet lists people may find interesting.

http://www.petmedsonline.org/pet-top-10s.html

~D

Return to “The Pet Lounge”