Dog Fun Facts

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
onestop67
Guru

Dog Fun Facts

Post by onestop67 »

Every Friday I get a new one from the Cesar Millan newsletter.

Please throw out some other fun fact type posts!

Today: An adult dog has 42 teeth. http://ow.ly/36oWy #funfactfriday
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Dog Fun Facts

Post by Bsuds »

Well at least 2

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

lol! Who's a good boy? Yes, yes you are!!!
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Socializing your puppy to people and other dogs should begin from the first moment you arrive at your home.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Do not play tug of war with your puppy, as well, don't make growling noises when playing, as this teaches aggression.

Many dogs develop issues which later can lead to aggression, with having their feet touched, which later leads to resistance when getting nails clipped. When cuddling with puppy or new dog, gently rub feet and toes.

~D
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Educate yourself on dog nutrition and feed your dog the highest quality you can afford. If you can only afford crap food like Wallmarts Ole Roy, Iams, Science Diet, Kibbles 'n Crap, Purina etc., you probably can't afford to keep a dog.

Do yourself, but especially your dog, a favour and get it spayed/neutered. It's the healthiest thing for your pup, from both a behavioral and health standpoint. Unless you are a reputable and ethical breeder, do the right thing and have your female puppy spayed before it's first heat and have your male puppy neutered before it reaches sexual maturation. The time can vary, so it's best to research the breed and talk to your Vet.

~D
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:Do not play tug of war with your puppy, as well, don't make growling noises when playing, as this teaches aggression.
~D

Tug of war is a very common form of game with people and their dogs.

As mush fun as it seems, all you are doing is reinforcing your dogs "kill" instinct. Your dog is, in his/her mind, trying to KILL that toy.

Fun as it seems at the time, it will lead to aggresive behaviour, later,
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

By playing these types of games, all you are doing is encouraging aggresive behaviour...
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

onestop67 wrote:By playing these types of games, all you are doing is encouraging aggresive behaviour...

Absolutely and I've seen it time and time again. A family member had bought a toy poodle puppy. She would get down on the ground, growl at the pup, make charging motions with her body and hands, take the toy and play tug of war. I tried to explain to her why that was not such a good idea, but I was laughed at and told that all she was doing was playing with her puppy and having fun. She had two little girls and they would do the same thing. The puppy would growl back, yip and snap and they all laughed thinking this game was so much fun. Well the fun stopped when the puppy who was now about 6 months old had jumped up and bit her in the face. Then the pup bit one of the girls and guess what, that fun game wasn't so fun anymore. They ended up selling the puppy because it was too aggressive and could no longer be trusted around her two young daughters. Thankfully they have not had a dog since.

~D
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:
onestop67 wrote:By playing these types of games, all you are doing is encouraging aggresive behaviour...

Absolutely and I've seen it time and time again. A family member had bought a toy poodle puppy. She would get down on the ground, growl at the pup, make charging motions with her body and hands, take the toy and play tug of war. I tried to explain to her why that was not such a good idea, but I was laughed at and told that all she was doing was playing with her puppy and having fun. She had two little girls and they would do the same thing. The puppy would growl back, yip and snap and they all laughed thinking this game was so much fun. Well the fun stopped when the puppy who was now about 6 months old had jumped up and bit her in the face. Then the pup bit one of the girls and guess what, that fun game wasn't so fun anymore. They ended up selling the puppy because it was too aggressive and could no longer be trusted around her two young daughters. Thankfully they have not had a dog since.

~D

Sigh...
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Grooming isn’t just a form of affection. Keeping a dog well groomed can positively affect both his physical and psychological health.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

What was the sigh for? :137:

~D
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Hmmm... I play tug of war often. It's a fav. And hide & seek too!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
juliebeth
Board Meister

Post by juliebeth »

Triple 6 wrote:Hmmm... I play tug of war often. It's a fav. And hide & seek too!

Maybe its just for puppies? I play tug of war all the time, but her behavior has not gotten anymore aggressive since the day we got her. However, we got her as and adult. Also, when I tell her to "stop" play time is instantly over.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

I don't do tug of war but I would think its all in the training if they were to have that make them aggressive. I wrassle with mine and when the game is over, he knows its over like what Juliebeth said with a "stop" command. Training is training :129:
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”