Vet Issues, the good, the bad & the ugly.

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Imagination
Board Meister

Re: Vet Issues, the good, the bad & the ugly.

Post by Imagination »

Triple 6 wrote:
Piper went in April and I did her rabies, but held off on the others. I've mentioned it before, Piper has addisons disease and has to have bloodwork every 3-6 months.

Oh my. Your vet wasn't reading the bottle on that vaccine because I bet it would not have been an option with Addisons (I've had a dog with Cushing's which is sort of related so I think I understand a bit of what goes on with Addison's). Hopefully Piper is okay with it, but before you ever do another please check the rabies immunity challenge info because I think you will feel more comfortable in passing on it in so far as immunity from one shot is showing to be lasting.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Imagination wrote:
Triple 6 wrote:
Piper went in April and I did her rabies, but held off on the others. I've mentioned it before, Piper has addisons disease and has to have bloodwork every 3-6 months.

Oh my. Your vet wasn't reading the bottle on that vaccine because I bet it would not have been an option with Addisons (I've had a dog with Cushing's which is sort of related so I think I understand a bit of what goes on with Addison's). Hopefully Piper is okay with it, but before you ever do another please check the rabies immunity challenge info because I think you will feel more comfortable in passing on it in so far as immunity from one shot is showing to be lasting.

Cushings and Addisons are similar. but the opposite. I belong to an Addisons Group for dogs and most agree on the rabies, but nothing else. Piper is fine. She still my little piggy and happier than a pig in poop!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
CameraShy

Post by CameraShy »

Being a local veterinary technician, my advice is this: your gut will tell you if your vet is a good vet or not, price does not reflect quality, in fact it can sometimes be just the opposite. I worked for many of the local vets here in Kelowna, and one of the best one's is also the cheapest. Some are downright immoral what they do behind closed doors. If anyone wants a reccomendation you are free to email me, as names are not allowed in the forums. There is one that I would like people to know who NOT to go to, for their animal's sake! Usually your instinct is correct, if you feel the vet is genuine, even though the bill might be higher than expected, trust me, it's worth it not to take your animal to a different place just because the price may be too high. Also, self education is great, the internet is wonderful for gaining knowledge, you just have to make sure you visit the credible sites (lol). Vaccines have been PROVEN to last up to 3yrs, so any vet still giving yearly shots is purely doing it for the income. An ultrasound charge for a urine collection?? Absolutely not essential, because even if they find no bacteria whatsoever, 99% of the time they give antibiotics anyways, and you have just wasted $90 or so on a cystocentesis. Crystals are not affected by the method of collection, a free catch, which costs you nothing, will detect just as many crystals as an ultrasound assisted cysto. There are so many "money grabs" by the immoral vets....I wish us vet techs could speak out a little louder for the animals' sake!!
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

CameraShy wrote:Being a local veterinary technician, my advice is this: your gut will tell you if your vet is a good vet or not, price does not reflect quality, in fact it can sometimes be just the opposite. I worked for many of the local vets here in Kelowna, and one of the best one's is also the cheapest. Some are downright immoral what they do behind closed doors. If anyone wants a reccomendation you are free to email me, as names are not allowed in the forums. There is one that I would like people to know who NOT to go to, for their animal's sake! Usually your instinct is correct, if you feel the vet is genuine, even though the bill might be higher than expected, trust me, it's worth it not to take your animal to a different place just because the price may be too high. Also, self education is great, the internet is wonderful for gaining knowledge, you just have to make sure you visit the credible sites (lol). Vaccines have been PROVEN to last up to 3yrs, so any vet still giving yearly shots is purely doing it for the income. An ultrasound charge for a urine collection?? Absolutely not essential, because even if they find no bacteria whatsoever, 99% of the time they give antibiotics anyways, and you have just wasted $90 or so on a cystocentesis. Crystals are not affected by the method of collection, a free catch, which costs you nothing, will detect just as many crystals as an ultrasound assisted cysto. There are so many "money grabs" by the immoral vets....I wish us vet techs could speak out a little louder for the animals' sake!!

In here you have said "I worked for many of the local vets here in Kelowna, and one of the best one's is also the cheapest" I know of a vet in Kelowna who advertises "cheap costs" and he is the worst vet I have EVER come across. I really hope your not talking about that vet. So because it would not be a good idea for me to mention his name here or in the paper (I asked a lawyer about doing that) I instead warn as many people as possible about him and in doing that I have discovered many more horror stories about this vet. Cheaper is not always cheaper, especially when you have to take your pet to another vet because the first one did not know what he was doing and got it wrong.
On the other hand I was recently in a vets office (not my own) which is an expensive vet. I witnessed (overheard the conversation) of an elderly woman from out of town who had a very sick pet and because I do know quite a bit about the health care and illnesses of this particular type of pet I could see that the vet technicians were suggesting a whole whack of testing that should be done. Not all of this testing needed to be done right away and one of the really expensive tests was really not needed and yet the one test that was cheaper that could have answered the question of what was wrong with the pet was not even mentioned.IMO they were taking total advantage of this very upset lady and I did speak up and question the vet tech and mentioned about getting the test that was never even mentioned done. Vets need to realize that if they are poor vets or are talking advantage of people financially that the word is going to get around.
I know I am spreading that word often because I love animals and don't want to see them hurt and I don't want people who love their animals to be hurt either (or ripped off). Damn I wish I could mention his name.
CameraShy

Post by CameraShy »

I hear ya! Luckily, I know for sure that the "cheap" vet I'm taking about is not the same one that you are, because mine is a "her" lol! She is now only doing horses, and has been in the Valley for about 30yrs....I'm sure you know who it is by now....but no names, even this is praise. She is awesome and is always very practical, I have learned a lot from her!
JVD3741

Post by JVD3741 »

Am shopping for a new vet, can I contact you for THE VET NOT TO USE? or you could recommend a good/affordable one?

p.s. Somebody should setup a website (same as RATEMDS people pretty much speak their minds on local Doctors) why not Veternarians?
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Just a reminder to please make sure that any negative reviews are done via PM and NOT on the public forum
Thanks
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Several threads on here about that subject and this is just one I found.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=55761
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

danner wrote:Am shopping for a new vet, can I contact you for THE VET NOT TO USE? or you could recommend a good/affordable one?

p.s. Somebody should setup a website (same as RATEMDS people pretty much speak their minds on local Doctors) why not Veternarians?

There is a vet rating site.
Of course the ratings are only as honest as the people doing the ratings.
Here's the site.
http://www.vetratingz.com/SelectThing.jsp?state=BC
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

CameraShy, I have sent you a PM but you have not checked it yet.
Waiting on an answer-Thanks.
natasha6635

Post by natasha6635 »

We have a new puppy and would love to get information on the best vets in the mission.
Tiianna_c

Post by Tiianna_c »

Hello!

My Fiance and I are relocating to Kelowna; we own a male cat and a female lab cross. We are looking for affordable and trustworthy Vet recommendations. We are also curious about the costs of Vet services in Kelowna, Ontario has very high prices with high tax. We are fervently hoping the cost is a bit better than what we are used to here. For my dogs spaying it almost cost me $1000.00!!!

Any word is greatly appreciated!!
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Lore wrote:There is a vet rating site.
Of course the ratings are only as honest as the people doing the ratings.
Here's the site.
http://www.vetratingz.com/SelectThing.jsp?state=BC

Perhaps check the vet ratingz website to get an idea.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It might depend on what area you will be living in as well.
We went to Tri Lake in Lake Country for many years but Dr Kaplan has left so we changed to a closer one.
We had some surgery done there and were happy with that but there were some other issues (not the Vet) and have gone to a different one which we are happy with so far.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
speedybeedy

Post by speedybeedy »

Owned large bread for years. Had a one year old female that jumped off a small retaining wall, yelped and went inside and laid down, took her to vet and vet said, acl is gone in the dog, and itll be 3800.00 for the required surgery, I went ahead and did it, brutal looking scar, surgery and rehab,

The dog passed away at 8 with cancer eventually, so enter another young pup, living on a farm the dog was very active and came inside one day and laid down and didn't want to move, was limping on hind legs, took to same vet, x ray and they said same problem as previous dog and needed the surgery, was going to 4400.00 this time.

I said no way, I went on the mastiff forums and talked to people all over North America about the issues and the possible remedies.

I took the time and leash walked to dog every time they had to go outside, to make sure he wouldn't run around and see if time and rest would eventually heal him.
A one year old dog isn't smart enough to know on his own not to run after things because there injured, so im sure he never would have healed without guidance.

That dog is 5 now and runs around like a deer, I hike him everyday and you would never have know he ever had a problem with his hind legs.

The thought that I went ahead with that surgery on the original dog knowing that there was a very good chance I could have healed her myself and that the surgery was a potential money grab from one of our local vets, still disturbs me to this day.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”