Non medication treatment of anxiety dogs/cats

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Non medication treatment of anxiety dogs/cats

Post by normaM »

Thought this might be helpful to someone. Zoe was waiting for me in the car at the coffee shop when my vehicle was hit.. she wasn't hurt but a few days later was scared in the car - the noise of the accident caused her trauma. She can't take any medications because of a bad heart, so the Vet suggested DAP pheromone products. There is a collar, spray and a plug in disfuser you can get, I opted for all three. The doggie one gives off the sense to the dog of a lactating female dog..putting them in a "happy" place. Humans can't smell it at all. Apparently they recommend it for a variety of reasons - moving to a new house, problem behaviours, long travels, etc. Along with the products I am working on conditioning so the car goes back to being a fun safe place. The collar and spray seem to have really made a difference, Zoe seems just overall more relaxed and mellow, and the shaking, drooling and panting in fear have been reduced, I am hopeful that the 1 month of the product will be all we need.
I"m told it works great for cats ( the cat version) for trips to the Vets, stopping cat fights when you own multiple kitties, etc.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Non medication treatment of anxiety dogs/cats

Post by gardengirl »

Interesting. Where are they available?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I got it from the Vet's Fairfield. I would think you could buy it on line as well. The cat products I'm told are fantastic - easier to get the cat in the carrier for Vet visits, stopping cats from fighting amongst themselves. I don't know if it is the product my re-conditioning or what but the rides are getting less stressful for her. And as I said she seems, well more happy. She dislikes a collar, but she has made no attempt to try and scratch this off, so it must be something she is enjoying. They wear the collar all the time ( lasts a month)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
doc2013
Fledgling

Post by doc2013 »

Well I have ordered a collar from my vet for little Joe. Pray that it works. I really do not want to have to give him drugs that change his awesome personality. Wish us luck!!
redwine

Post by redwine »

I tried the collar on my pup when he was 13-18 weeks. He had traveled by plane to get to us and we figured that might have had something to do with with his fear - fear of people, loud noises, being alone etc but it didn't make one iota of difference. Not saying they don't work, obviously some have results. I also found something in the health food stores in a little glass bottle, it has a yellow label but for the life of me I can't think of the name. It didn't work for my pup but it did help my parents dog and my neighbors cats (she often fosters feral, unadoptable cats). You put a couple drops in their water.
perhaps the straight and narrow would be wider if more people used it
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Trail Blazers on KLO Road near Bevoulin may have something that will help.
http://www.tailblazerspets.com/tailblaz ... elowna.php
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
proudpetparent

Post by proudpetparent »

Hi everyone,

My first post of many I hope! I have over 20 years experience in the pet trade and have had pets my whole life. All of the suggestions mentioned in this thread are great! The best advice is to go see John or Barton at Tail Blazers. They have natural alternatives that will help your pet when she needs it most.

Check out this locally made natural product they carry... http://www.naturpet.com/en/behavioural- ... elief.html

Good luck!

Return to “The Pet Lounge”