Adopting Senior Pets

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Adopting Senior Pets

Post by Lady tehMa »

Story http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-74947-1-.htm#74947

Kelowna
Senior pets never picked first at shelter
by Jennifer Zielinski - Story: 74947
May 9, 2012 / 12:10 pm

Gallagher is 11 years old, but you would never know it. He is very affectionate and purrs instantly when you approach him. He is available for adoption at the Kelowna BCSPCAKittens and puppies get all the attention when it comes to choosing a pet at the BCSPCA.

But what about the senior pets, who have just as much personality, why not adopt them?

According to Lorie Chortyk, general manager of community relations for the BC SPCA, kittens and younger cats, always find homes faster.

“People reason that they want to have their new pet for as long as possible, and the younger it is when they adopt it, the longer they’ll have it. Unfortunately, that means adult and older cats end up spending a greater portion of those years in a shelter.”

This month the BCSPCA is highlighting the benefits of adopting a senior cat or dog as part of Adoption Awareness Month throughout May.

Chortyk says older pets are more settled than younger ones.

"They’re housetrained, their personalities are fully developed and you know how big they’ll get. The best reason to adopt one, however, is because they deserve it.”

Senior dogs often have many good years left to enjoy and cats can live well into their teens and even their 20s, according to Chortyk.

"That means a senior cat of eight years and older who is adopted from a shelter could be with his or her new guardian for another eight or 10 years, or even longer."

Chortyk notes that compared to kittens and young cats, older cats are generally more accustomed to household life and content to snooze away much of the day.

"While they still enjoy companionship and affection, they don’t demand the level of supervision of their kitten counterparts."

Last year, the BC SPCA found loving homes for more than 18,000 animals across the province.

It would seem to me that if the SPCA offered adoptions of older animals at a discounted rate, that they would possibly be adopted out quicker.

An older animal will not live as long as a younger animal, but you pay the same fee to adopt regardless of age, don't you? Please feel free to correct me, I haven't adopted an animal yet.
I haven't failed until I quit.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Re: Adopting Senior Pets

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

It's a sad fact that older or senior cats and dogs are difficult to get adopted. Add the colour black to being old, and the chances are even lower.

I too have wondered if the SPCA in BC offers a reduction in adoption fee's for hard to place animals. If not, they really should. I guess some would argue that if you can't afford the full adoption fee, you can't afford the pet. The thing is, it's the older dogs and cats that can develop costly health issues, and then you are looking at the high emotional and monetary cost of having them pts sooner rather than later. I can understand a person on a limited budget shying away from perceived increased vet bills. I guess it depends on the heroics a person will go to, to prolong a life. My senior boxer now has dental and small tumour issues. Boxers have a high incidence of cancer, and I wouldn't be surprised if the tumour on her chest is cancerous. I am not going to spend thousands of dollars to prolong her life when it comes to it. When it's time, I will be with her as she crosses over the rainbow bridge. Yes, I'll be very sad, but I'll be happy she's in a better place and I'll draw on all the wonderful memories of her, and the joy she brought into my life.

I was just perusing our SPCA site here in NS and found a 12 yr old rotti/pit mix that is looking for a home and I desperately wish I could take her in. She sounds like a wonderful old gal who just needs a loving home to live out the rest of her life. The SPCA is even covering her food and medical costs.

"Betsy- Rotty mix female 12 years old...Betsy is a good natured happy dog...She has been at the shelter for 6 plus months...She is not very much work and she listens well and obeys commands...Wonderful friend to have around the house..She is part of the palliative care program at the shelter which consists of: Adoption fee waived FREE all her food, medical costs, supplies are covered by the SPCA...Please lets find a good home for this old sweet girl...We really need to find her a home....Call the shelter for more information..."

That is the way it should be. This poor old girl has many strikes against her for the average adopter, and it breaks my heart. She's a mix of a rott and a pit, she's old, and she's mostly black.

Older cats and dogs are wonderful. They are already trained (as a rule), they are past the chewing and high energy stage, and they really do adapt into a household very well. I would encourage anyone to consider an older pet over a younger one.

~D
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

While I'd wouldn't say Hannah is "old" she certainly is older than most. She's the most loving cat I've ever had. At age 5 you'd think she'd be lounging around a lot but really, she does unexpected things.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

*off-topic/Jo*
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I heard pretezals were being given away in another thread. Go see okay?

As for "old senior pets being difficult to adopt out", then reduce the adoption fees to make up for the vet fees to follow.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

The SPCA in Kelowna, for one, does discount the adoption fee on "Seniors". We adopted an older dog with some health issues a few years ago and her fee was half the regular rate. She is a beautiful soul and worth many more times that rate to us. :)
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

Actually the spca does NOT give a discount to the senior pets. I just purchased a small senior (12 years old) dog about 2 months ago. At first i was told that there was a discount because she was a senior but then the other worker said no, the new person in charge decided not to give out the discount. So I paid the full it was either $250 or $around $300 - I can't remember. But as soon as I met my new family member I knew she needed to come "home".

She is a jack russell cross, and we have another JR purebred at home. I cannot say enough wonderful things about her. She is so much better then our first dog. She still has spunk, but I don't have to worry about her making messes in the house or eating shoes, or any of the puppy things. We know she's here for a short time - based on the breed and her health about another 3 - 5 years. We would love to know more about her history, but it doesn't really matter - neither did the adoption cost. She was meant to be part of our family.

I would say, that the discounted for the senior dogs would maybe encourage people to adopt them. But in my heart didn't matter the cost - it was like a long lost member of the family coming home.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

Perhaps it varies from shelter to shelter, or perhaps it is based on how long the dog has been there and the shelters' view of how "adaptable" the dog is. We adopted a 10 year old severely obese dog with multiple health problems who had been there for a while - probably not the best candidate for adoption. We did not know until we went to pay her fee that she was "discounted". It was just an added bonus as we already knew she was coming home with us. I can see where smaller dogs may have been chosen before our 140+ lb. beauty, even if they were the same age.
I still feel that with what is included - vet check, immunization, bag of food etc. even the regular adoption fee is reasonable, given what a dog can cost you in it's lifetime. Her fee could not have covered the medications she received and the food she ate while she was at the shelter. We have long ago spent the other half of that adoption fee on vet bills, medication, etc, and we feel she is more than worth it. Potential pet owners should be more concerned with what after adoption costs can be, in my opinion, than what the SPCA charges to recoup some of their costs. If they did, there might not be so many animals in the shelters.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I wouldnt want to adopt an older pet... they die sooner which is just too hard to endure time and time again.

Suffering that loss every 12 years or so (barring accident) is one thing, but every 5 years is another.

Plus with older animals comes more vet costs in a shorter period of time.
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

The shorter years are something to consider. But honestly, getting a puppy doesn't mean that you've going to have 15 plus years of happiness. Since adopting her, we've had one health concern, which ended up being attributed to old age. It reminds us on some days that she isn't a pup any longer. But quite frankly, she had only been in the spca for I think under 2 weeks when we got her, and the day I saw her - she just didn't deserve to be there. I mean none of them do, but she was just such an amazing girl with no vices other then her age - I couldn't live with myself knowing I had met her, and we had the ability to make room in our life for her, and leave her there. And on those days that she is feeling her age, we just think to those many moments and we've had so many since getting her that she's made us laugh, and she's greeted us at the door, so happy and full of herself.

Its not about the quantity with a senior dog, its about the quality. And she reminds us each day to appreciate every moment we have with her.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

fvkasm2x wrote:I wouldnt want to adopt an older pet... they die sooner which is just too hard to endure time and time again.

Suffering that loss every 12 years or so (barring accident) is one thing, but every 5 years is another.

Plus with older animals comes more vet costs in a shorter period of time.

You have a point that is shared by many, many people. I used to feel the same as you about older pets. Many cats and dogs, but in particular dogs, can and do develop expensive health and genetic issues when they are younger. My beautiful cocker spaniel developed expensive eye issues when she was young, and went on to having other health problems that eventually led me to have her pts at a young 6 yrs of age. That was probably one of the worst things I had to do and I suffered greatly. Mourning the loss of my beloved pup and the guilt of saying enough, and having her pts. It took me a number of years before I could even think about bringing another dog into the family. Since that time, I've grown and evolved a lot in regards to our pets dying. Yes I will be sad when it's time for the two I have now to go, but I'm ok with it when it comes as I know they lived a great life with me, and it's just their time. I will not be heartbroken, and I will not spend months, or even years mourning their loss. I will draw comfort that I gave my two rescue babies a safe and loving home, and what I have given to them, they gave back to me ten fold. We've been a perfect match, and I look forward to the day when I can bring another rescue dog into the family, which will likely be an older one.

My boxer is going to be 11 in Sept. so I know her time is limited. I just had her at the beach the other day with my son, and I told my son that when it's time for her to go, I hope she goes in an instant, doing what she loves. Running up and down the sea shore, chasing the ball, running into the ocean, and just having a great last hoorah.

~D

Return to “The Pet Lounge”