I need a trainer! Any recommendations?

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
joeyhidber

I need a trainer! Any recommendations?

Post by joeyhidber »

Hi dog lovers,
I need help. I rescued a 2 year old Terrier mix from Paws it Forward. He has some issues...
When we go for walks he tries to bite people and other dogs that come near him. He gets really nervous as they approach and if they come to close he will show his teeth and lunge at them.
This is our first dog and wère new to it but want the best for him. He is GREAT around people he does know. Always loves to be pet and is so good when we leave the house.
Bottom line, the lunging and biting is the only issue. He bit my niece the other day and I dont want to worry about people coming over to visit.

I need some names of good trainers in the Kelowna area so I can get Eddy the help he needs and can show me some tips to be a better handler. Preferably a trainer that excels in this area.

Thanks people, I appreciate your feedback :)
pattergrub
Fledgling

Re: I need a trainer! Any recommendations?

Post by pattergrub »

not too sure of trainers but start with a yellow ribbon on its collar/leash to keep others away when in public for now would be a good idea. just seems scared to me...
satisfaction is the death of desire!!
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Liz Corrigan. Google her and you'll get her #.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

pattergrub wrote:not too sure of trainers but start with a yellow ribbon on its collar/leash to keep others away when in public for now would be a good idea. just seems scared to me...
fraid the yellow ribbon does not mean anything on a collar so I would recommend what trip suggested
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Isyboe

Post by Isyboe »

I also agree with Liz Corrigan being an excellent trainer.

Your little rescue guy sounds like he is a Fear Biter.
Our little rescue fellow was the same. He had been abused and would bark and lunge, then bite other dogs before they bit him. He was also fearful of people he did not know.
I have used Liz for all our Dogs over the years, and she was excellent with this issue.
I had her come to my house for 1 private session, to see the house dynamics, and she gave me so many tips and pointers it was well worth the $75.00

He was so much better by the time we got into one of her classes. ( Our little Russell X was only 4 months old at the time)

I am happy to say, he is a happy, well adjusted little fellow now.
We still have a few issues to work on ( He is only 14 months now), but me worrying about him biting strangers is not one of his issues.

Go see Liz..She is wonderful, and trains with kindness and common sense!
Good Luck
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

Fancy wrote:fraid the yellow ribbon does not mean anything on a collar so I would recommend what trip suggested

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=48893/
If more people see the yellow ribbon around, more and more will catch on. It may not help the dog right now but it is supposed to warn people to stay away or approach with caution. It would be a good idea while the dog is in training...
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers

Return to “The Pet Lounge”