Should cats be allowed to roam at large?

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Re: Should cats be allowed to roam at large?

Post by Walking Wounded »

In that link it also states that no north american cats were domesticated. They wete brought from europe so there are no natural predators for the domestic cat and they kill small prey that native species rely on. An invasive species.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Wrong.... you should maybe read the whole article again!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Maybe you should read it. It states what I said earlier near the end of the article.
Its just ignorant people who think their animal should be able to do as it pleases because they are to damn lazy to take care of it. Fine but any cat on my property will end up at the spca. I am sick and tired of having to clean up cat crap out of my garden and my kids sand box, and picking up dead birds around my yard.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Walking Wounded wrote:Maybe you should read it. It states what I said earlier near the end of the article.
Its just ignorant people who think their animal should be able to do as it pleases because they are to damn lazy to take care of it. Fine but any cat on my property will end up at the spca. I am sick and tired of having to clean up cat crap out of my garden and my kids sand box, and picking up dead birds around my yard.

Do you own a pet?
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I own pets. They are always under my care and control, at all times. My pets do not soil or cause any kind of damage in other peoples yards. I too am tired of cats that roam at large, especially the poop in my garden and yard. I know plenty of people who own cats and do not allow this to happen.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

I have several properties, hence several yards and have never had a problem with any neighbourhood animals creating any problem in my gardens, ever!
The only issue I have ever had is errant dogs roaming on properties when gates are left open and chasing the resident cats on their own property and pooping on the outside of the fence line (still on my property). As a matter of fact I have witnessed this occurrence many times with owners standing there tapping their toes like hurry up Buddy, do your biz and lets get moving!
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

crazyoleme wrote:I have several properties, hence several yards and have never had a problem with any neighbourhood animals creating any problem in my gardens, ever!

Lucky you.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

crazyoleme wrote:I have several properties, hence several yards and have never had a problem with any neighbourhood animals creating any problem in my gardens, ever!
zookeeper wrote:
Lucky you.

Ditto back at ya and if you have a dog (you do not specify your pet) and the dog is in the yard you can bet no feral cats or domesticated pet cats would venture to your yard, even as a pass thru!

If you are having problems with pests in your yard whether it be rodents, birds, bees, cats whatever there are methods, safe and non harming methods, of correcting the issue.

Remember if you have a sandbox coons love to use them as litter boxes too! and I highly suspect you are not able to tell the difference between cat, dog and *bleep* droppings... unless of course it is elephant med/lg dog size big ringers!
cover your sandbox, it only takes a minute and keeps your kinds sand clean! and free from mice droppings etc too!
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

You make it all sound so simple but the fact remains that if people would not allow their cats to roam free many of these issues and complaints would not exist. Period.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

And you keep blaming everything on cats when there is no way this is as big a problem as you make out! Other factors play into the equation and there are by percentage more dogs running at large crapping on private property than cats!

but yes it is simple to defer an errant cat from your property and it starts with dialoguing with the owner of the cat!
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Yes I have a small dog, and when it is out on walks she gets picked up after. Most cats are bigger than my dog, it was quite funny the one time I saw her try to chase a cat out of the yard all my dog got was a swat on the nose, she has not tried chasing cats since.
The bottom line is all domestic animals should be under direct control of their owners when outside.not roaming free. And I can tell the difference between a cat and a racoon, I have never seen a racoon dumping in my yard but I have seen plenty of cats crapping in my yard. I have never had a loose dog in my yard either. I am not saying that people who do not pick up after their dogs are not in the wrong, they are just as much a bunch of ignorant a__holes as people who let their cats roam free
Walking Wounded
Übergod

zookeeper wrote:You make it all sound so simple but the fact remains that if people would not allow their cats to roam free many of these issues and complaints would not exist. Period.

X2
Walking Wounded
Übergod

crazyoleme wrote:And you keep blaming everything on cats when there is no way this is as big a problem as you make out! Other factors play into the equation and there are by percentage more dogs running at large crapping on private property than cats!

but yes it is simple to defer an errant cat from your property and it starts with dialoguing with the owner of the cat!

I find it hard to believe that there are more dogs roaming free than cats in this city
dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

I believe cats should be indoor. I have seen many innovative outdoor runs made so kitties can enjoy the great outdoors, but I don't think they should be let out to roam freely. They are just fodder for passing vehicles and coyote food.

Also there are many bird species at risk and cats are good at catching birds. I would prefer the birds roaming freely and the cats inside.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Cats were at the onset outdoor domesticated animals kept for rodent control. My cats fulfill that job nicely. My neighbours all know the cats and all have dogs. I put up with the constant kennel bark and they have not indicated any "mistakes" by my cats. If the did I would control the issue for them. Keep in mind they also get the benefit of the rodent control. Do not know any people that like mice, moles, and rats around their property.
So bottom line... until some human became involved these animals (cats and dogs) were not meant to be indoors! They were kept close by the food source provided by humans. History is not always in need of change.
You can dislike those that support freedom for the animal all you like but have the decency to deal with the owner before you go racing off to the SPCA with your neighbours kittie!
Also if you say you have seen a cat s$@% in your yard then you have had ample opportunity to shoo it away... if your little dog was taken on by a bigger cat? chances are it is a ferral animal and does not belong to anyone! Know the owners and animals around you so you can act responsibly!

Return to “The Pet Lounge”