Should cats be allowed to roam at large?

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Re: Should cats be allowed to roam at large?

Post by Walking Wounded »

Domestic animals are NOT wild animals & are not ment to fend for themselves and any pet owner who thinks so needs to give up their pet.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Yeah, I don't get that thinking at all. Pets are companions - not meant to survive in the wild (throwaway pets).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

And when you'r kids are adults you chain them up?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Kids aren't animals. Pets are not disposable.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Fancy wrote:Kids aren't animals. Pets are not disposable.

cats are disposable,dogs not so much
omisimaw
Guru

Re: Ok This will be interesting

Post by omisimaw »

kgcayenne wrote:Thank you to all those who keep their pets indoors.

To the nimrod that lets a cat roam where I live:
Your cat tore holes in my patio screen, it's not an easy fix, dillhole. The neighbour across from me is tired of the smell your cat leaves behind when it has claimed the space under her breakfast nook as its litter box. If I find out who you are, maybe we’ll relocate all her contaminated soil to your balcony.[/end rant]

Tell your neighbour to put down a few mouse traps in the area of concern. Cat will be gone sooner than one thinks. They hate the sound of the snap and the small ones do no physical harm so they are fantastic deterrents and trainers for cats. IT WORKS
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I will do that, thank you.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Walking Wounded wrote:The other day at a small park by my place I had just picked up my dogs mess and as I heading for the trash there is a cat taking a dump in the sandbox. Where is this cats owner? Dog owners are expected to clean up after their dogs, I know some don't and that is wrong but I have never seen anybody out cleaning up behind their cat. Why not?

Maybe nowhere... there is a very large feral cat population in this valley
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

kgcayenne wrote:I will do that, thank you.

You are welcome!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Walking Wounded wrote:Domestic animals are NOT wild animals & are not ment to fend for themselves and any pet owner who thinks so needs to give up their pet.

You keep repeating this opinion over and over again. Pet owners do not want or allow their pets to fend for themselves at all and that is my opinion.
Cats and dogs fend for themselves very well thank you! They have natural instincts that kick in when they are thirsty and hungry or when they are protecting their young.
If you are so bent on people taking your side in this post some scientific proof to back this claim of yours.
The term feral refers to any type of animal or plant that was once domesticated but has now reverted to the wild. Domesticated animals become feral when they are released, abandoned or if they escape from human captivity. A feral animal not only include the once domesticated individuals but also any offspring the animals may have or will produce after they have become feral.

Most feral animals in any particular region arrive there due to human activity. In order for them to become feral they must be able to survive in the habitat independently. For this reason exotic pets do not normally survive long enough to be deemed feral.

Feral animals commonly include livestock such as goats and pigs and house pets like dogs and cats. When these animals are left to fend for themselves they almost always cause a problem either for people or the natural environment that they have come to inhabit. These feral animals are known as invasive species when they impact the environment and/or pests when they become a problem for their estranged human companions.

Feral cat populations may very well be the most abundant form of invasive species in the world. Cats, which were once endemic only to Africa, have made their way to every continent in the world. Currently there are only a few small islands that do not have cats inhabiting them.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-feral-animals.htm
Critteraid, the Summerland Cat Sanctuary, was established in 1992 to provide refuge for unwanted, abused, abandoned and feral cats. The sanctuary is based on a ten acre farm in Summerland, BC where cats, dogs and livestock are provided sanctuary for the time they stay with us. For some, that is forever. We are committed to keeping their lives free from anxiety, providing a healthy environment and medical attention and encouraging adoption to responsible caring human beings. Every cat that comes to Critteraid is neutered or spayed and receives vaccinations and examinations from a qualified veterinarian.

Critteraid is not a high profile animal group. We like to consider ourselves small but mighty! Critteraid volunteers work steadfastly to help animals and people with animals at the very grassroots level of our local communities.

Critteraid is a registered charity that operates entirely on donations and grants.
http://www.critteraid.org/aboutus.htm
Last edited by omisimaw on Jun 25th, 2013, 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cats and dogs fend for themselves very well thank you
Then why do so many get killed?
They have natural instincts that kick in when they are thirsty and hungry
What kind of pet owner allows that to happen?
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Fancy wrote:Kids aren't animals. Pets are not disposable.

You're missing the point, all creatures have the right to freedom, birthright, and not necessarily be subject to a whim of a person who thinks they know best. Allowing an animal outside is not anything near disposable, just because you think so doesn't make it so. But I see youre firmly grounded in your beliefs of black and white and there's no point in continuing.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A responsible pet owner ensures their property remains on their own property - not interfering with someone else.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Crazyoleme from your own post it states that feral cats are the most abundant form of invasive species in the world.
Invasive species are not a natural part of the food chain so therefore bad for our enviroment.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Cats and dogs fend for themselves very well thank you
Fancy wrote: Then why do so many get killed?
Same reason many humans do, accidents!
They have natural instincts that kick in when they are thirsty and hungry
Fancy wrote:What kind of pet owner allows that to happen?
I am not advocating that all persons who have pets should have pets, believe me that is just not realistic! but on the other hand I am not going to say that s#$t does not happen either.
Example .. I once had a cat that came to me as a very small kitten. It was born of a mother who was a barn cat and had to fend for itself. The role of the mother and others provided an important role keeping the rodent population down on the farm. Unfortunately the wild genes passed to the kittens and try as you would to keep the animal in or train (domesticate) it just did not work. It was never meant to be loved and wanted in an urban environment Unfortunately shortly it was the demise of the animal to a vehicle that finally stopped it while it was still a young under 1 yr old kitten!

Return to “The Pet Lounge”