Solution for all the misbehaving dogs.

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Solution for all the misbehaving dogs.

Post by GoStumpy »

Train them how to behave...

I was teaching some neighborhood kids how to build something safely, and I realized how little of the teaching was actually building... and how much was things like not leaving tools behind, not damaging things that aren't yours, how to measure, how to take a sliver out, how to hammer a nail, how to use a crowbar to remove a nail, etc...

And all this transferred to why my Dog is the absolute best behaved dog I have ever met.

Because I treat him like a child. I teach him what is right, what is wrong, scold him when he is bad, and praise him when he is good. If in doubt, ALWAYS PRAISE!!!!!!

Here's my mini blogpost on this:

http://epicrantthoughts.blogspot.ca/

(not promoting, I just don't want to copy&paste everything here)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Re: Solution for all the misbehaving dogs...

Post by vinnied »

here let me assist you

Why bad dogs are bad, and good dogs are good, and how to choose which your dog is.
Dog owners are a very divided breed. Your dog is either young & rambunctious, or old and lazy.... Then there are well behaved, badly behaved, hyperactive, etc etc etc....

At the end of the day, the only thing a dog is.... is a dog. They are your dog, my dog, his dog, her dog, or our dog. But they are dogs.... They cannot teach themselves anything except what they can see, hear, taste or feel.

If they cannot see another dog, they don't learn what other dogs do.

If they cannot smell another dog, they want to learn what another dog smells like.

That is a vital part of being a dog, the willingness to learn. The old saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but any dog is able to learn if they want to. Old dogs just don't want to learn sometimes!

If an owner (or master) does not do things that creates a learning environment for a dog, the dog will not learn. To make a dog learn, you must create an environment that helps them to act the way you, the owner, want them to act.

If you want your dog to come when you call him, call his name, and if does ANYTHING related to looking at you, coming towards you, or even just stopping where they are, praise them a lot! Every dog loves those simple words... "Good dog!". If they get a "Good dog!" every-time they come when their name is called, they will come even if they don't get a "Good dog!".

The popular choice for dog parents is the "Do the right thing, or I scold you" method. If the dog does not come when he is called, they call the name louder. Then, the name is YELLED, and a scowling face is created....... Why would the dog want to come and see that? Wouldn't he rather come to a happy face saying "Good Boy!"???

This applies to absolutely every part of teaching a dog tricks, or even just basic commands.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Re: Solution for all the misbehaving dogs...

Post by GoStumpy »

Thank you! I hate quoting myself ;)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”