I am new to the area

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Misty J

Re: I am new to the area

Post by Misty J »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:No law against walking with a cane. ;-)

to young for a cane still ;)
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Misty J wrote:They are not illegal to carry as long as they are not concealed.

You can legally carry an extendable baton as long as it is not concealed and not used in a threatening manner. Extending a baton could be considered threatening in some circumstances and could result in criminal charges.

The carrying of an extendable baton is not recommended by Durham Regional Police.
They don't recommend it but it is legal.

http://www.drps.ca/internet_explorer/se ... =concealed

True, extendable batons are just on this side of legal but you get into a gray area carrying in public, whether it's concealed or in the open. If you're in the bush and carrying one, it's not a problem - it can be used if you get attacked by wild animals. The problem arises when you meander down city streets with one on the off chance you might run into trouble. That's when it's up to the officer to decide whether you get charged or not for carrying a dangerous weapon.

Talk to an RCMP officer ... the one I had a nice chat with today wouldn't recommend it - use a sturdy cane or walking stick.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Misty J

Post by Misty J »

Why did the RCMP officer you spoke to not recommend it, just curious?
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

1. It can be used against you ... no guarantee you won't get overpowered.
2. Technically it's a prohibited/restricted weapon - legal to own but hard to justify carrying in public unless you're law or bylaw enforcement or in the security business.
3. Nobody will give you a second glance if you have a cane or walking stick - it gives you a longer reach. Walk down the street carrying a baton people can see and it will give some the idea you're just looking for trouble ... some will be more than happy to see if it's true.
4. If attacked, especially from behind, will you have a chance to extend it?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Misty J

Post by Misty J »

oneh2obabe wrote:1. It can be used against you ... no guarantee you won't get overpowered.
2. Technically it's a prohibited/restricted weapon - legal to own but hard to justify carrying in public unless you're law or bylaw enforcement or in the security business.
3. Nobody will give you a second glance if you have a cane or walking stick - it gives you a longer reach. Walk down the street carrying a baton people can see and it will give some the idea you're just looking for trouble ... some will be more than happy to see if it's true.
4. If attacked, will you have a chance to extend it?

1. Yes that is true, but it does improve the odds in my favor
2. Legal is legal, if I am being attacking i can't ask the attacker to please stand by while i wait for the rcmp to come help me
3. I am 24, a cane is going to stand out more than a baton will, and I can't carry a walking stick with all the time
4. who knows but it does improve my chances of defending myself if i can get it out.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

From experience, nothing personal misty j, I am inclined to wonder what it would take to set you off to use either a baton or dog spray? There was a woman where we used to walk who would spray any dog that came at hers when the owner wouldn't call it off, but her dog was always off leash and could do whatever it wanted, including attacking other dogs.
We (the dog and I) have taken our lumps on walks in public, I personally have never considered carrying what could be considered a weapon as protection and am wondering how this would make you feel any safer?
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Misty J wrote:1. Yes that is true, but it does improve the odds in my favor Not really ... 99.9% of people who get attacked go into panic mode and can't think straight.
2. Legal is legal, if I am being attacking i can't ask the attacker to please stand by while i wait for the rcmp to come help me Legal to own certain ones but a gray area when it comes to carrying in public, but if you want to fight charges of carrying a restricted weapon, have at it.
3. I am 24, a cane is going to stand out more than a baton will, and I can't carry a walking stick with all the time A cane is not going to stand out more - lots of young people use one or carry one. Why can't you carry a walking stick while walking your dog?
4. who knows but it does improve my chances of defending myself if i can get it out. IF is the operative word here - more chance your attacker will grab the baton and use it on you.

Just out of curiosity, what type of dog do you have?

Misty J

Post by Misty J »

12 year old Golden Retriever,
So your saying i have no right to carry a "device" for self defense other than a stick?
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't carry anything - that's your decision. I'm just letting you know what a police officer told me.

If you're so concerned about your safety, have you thought about taking a self-defense course?

Misty J

Post by Misty J »

oneh2obabe wrote:I'm not saying you should or shouldn't carry anything - that's your decision. I'm just letting you know what a police officer told me.

If you're so concerned about your safety, have you thought about taking a self-defense course?

I have, but haven't looked into it yet, any suggestions for a good one, possibly one that includes baton training.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Have no idea what's available here. Call the non-emergency RCMP number and ask if they can recommend one or steer you in the right direction. Kids and I got our training from a police friend in Ontario.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”