Surrendering or re-homing a cat

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
AandMKelowna

Surrendering or re-homing a cat

Post by AandMKelowna »

Has anyone surrendered a cat to the S.P.C.A before? What is involved exactly?

Before moving here, a kitten found us. A very tiny tiny kitten. We already had two but where we were there was no local S.P.C.A. There was a dog pound and the vet's office. So we held onto her and tried to find her a home there. We couldn't find a suitable one(I will not just give a cat to some random Joe Schmoe) and ended up bringing her here with us. Now, we already had two grown cats so this addition has left things a little hairy! Nobody gets along(the four legged ones), she pees on things that she deems to be hers and will poop in a litter-box ONLY if the other two cats haven't set foot in it yet. We have tried to keep hers away from the other two but it's pretty near impossible. Just in case anyone asks, we have had her to the vet to see if anything is wrong with her that's causing her to just pee randomly but she's healthy and just fine. Very territorial but fine.

I have no problem posting an ad to give her to a home for free but I think we would feel more confident in the S.P.C.A. I am more than willing to pay a fee for surrendering but since it isn't listed on their site I was wondering if anyone has done this before?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Surrendering or re-homing a cat

Post by Bsuds »

Good luck cause they are over run with cats.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

I am going through a similar situation, a stray cat showed up in our yard this past summer, it started to look really scrawny so I started feeding it, now the weather is getting colder so I thought maybe I would try to bring it in the house but our older cat does not take to kindly to it. I have heard that the SPCA will turn cats away,I have tried really hard to find someone to adopt it but it looks like I am going to have to keep it but it breaks my heart to leave it outside when it is cold out. It is a beautiful,friendly cat and just wants a nice warm loving home
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Introducing a new cat

The introduction can take from two hours to six months, so don't be discouraged if your cats don't seem to get along well at first. Often the case is that they will eventually be "best buddies."

*Set up a comfortable "safe room" for New Cat. Put her food, water, litter box (not near the food), scratching post, toys, and bed or other sleeping mat there.
*Expect a great deal of "hissy-spitty" behavior through the closed door from both cats. This is natural and normal; they are just starting to explore their "pecking order."
*Scent is very important for cats. Let each of them smell the other indirectly, by rubbing a towel on one and letting the other smell it. They will soon accept the scent as a normal part of the house.
*Once or twice, switch roles. Put New Cat in the normal living quarters, and let your resident cat sniff out the new cat's Safe Room.
*After a day or so, let the two cats sniff each other through a baby-gate or through a barely-opened door. Gauge the rate at which they seem to be acclimating to each other.

When you think they're ready, let them mingle under your supervision. Ignore hissing and growling, but you may have to intervene if a physical battle breaks out. Again, take this step slowly, depending on how quickly they get along. If they do seem to tolerate each other, even begrudgingly, praise both of them profusely.

Make their first activities together enjoyable ones so they will learn to associate pleasure with the presence of the other cat. Feeding (with their own separate dishes), playing, and petting. Keep up with the praise.

If things start going badly, separate them again, and then start where you left off. If one cat seems to consistently be the aggressor, give her some "time out," then try again a little bit later.

Factors to Consider
*If you are thinking of getting a kitten to keep an older cat company, you might want to consider two kittens. They will be able to keep each other company while the older cat learns to love them.
*If you already have more than one cat, use the "alpha cat" for preliminary introductions. Once he/she accepts the newcomer, the other resident cats will quickly fall in line.
*Lots of snuggle-time and attention is indicated for all cats concerned during this period. Remember, the prime goal is to get them to associate pleasure with the presence of each other.
*If possible, ask a friend to deliver the new cat to your home, in her cage. You can act nonchalant, as if it's no big deal, then later let your resident cat(s) think it's their idea to welcome the newcomer.

With patience and perseverance, you can turn what might appear at first as an "armed camp" into a haven of peace for your integrated feline family. Congratulations on giving another cat in need a permanent home!
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Very very good advice oneh2obabe!!!!
Cats not getting along is a fixable problem, just
might take some time.
If the SPCA does take a surrendered cat (they are often full)
there is no guarantee that your cat will find a home.
The SPCA does euthanize some animals.
Nobody wants to think that happens but it does.
There are to many people wanting to surrender their pets.
Be responsible, when you get a pet it should be for life.
Mostly any pet issue that comes up is fixable.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

We had 2 cats for 10 years and they never did get along with each other for the entire time, when they older one passed away we decided to not get any more pets as we are in the stage of our lives where we would like the freedom to travel without having to get a pet sitter. The cat we have is getting older and this is her home so it is very hard for us to watch her having to get used to another cat. We are animal lovers and will not watch the new one suffer nor do we want to take her to the SPCA and take a risk that they put it down, it is a beautiful, loving, friendly cat and appears to be quite healthy it is also an extremely clean cat which is a good thing! We are so upset that someone could abandon an animal, that is just cruel! So, I guess we are now a 2 cat household again (against our will) but we will look after the new one and treat just like we do the cat that we already had so now we have 2 princesses in our house, spoiled rotten!!! Hearing the purrs of contentment does make it all worth while!!!!!
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

cubafreak wrote:We had 2 cats for 10 years and they never did get along with each other for the entire time, when they older one passed away we decided to not get any more pets as we are in the stage of our lives where we would like the freedom to travel without having to get a pet sitter. The cat we have is getting older and this is her home so it is very hard for us to watch her having to get used to another cat. We are animal lovers and will not watch the new one suffer nor do we want to take her to the SPCA and take a risk that they put it down, it is a beautiful, loving, friendly cat and appears to be quite healthy it is also an extremely clean cat which is a good thing! We are so upset that someone could abandon an animal, that is just cruel! So, I guess we are now a 2 cat household again (against our will) but we will look after the new one and treat just like we do the cat that we already had so now we have 2 princesses in our house, spoiled rotten!!! Hearing the purrs of contentment does make it all worth while!!!!!

cubafreak, that makes me happy to hear you will try to merge this new cat into your lives.
If you want any help/suggestions please pm me and maybe I can help.
If nothing else, I'm kind of like a cat whisperer.
AandMKelowna

Post by AandMKelowna »

I am one of those people who LOVES cats. I was the kid bringing home strays, and maybe that's why it's been so hard with this one. My oldest cat was found in a box by a dumpster at 5 weeks old. My second cat showed up at my parents house completely starving with kidney damage, after having kittens.

I fully agree that when you PLAN to get a kitten it should be a lifelong commitment, just like having kids. We did NOT plan this one; We took her in to get her healthy and find her a forever home. We have done EVERYTHING to try and get this to work. All of the things written above have been tried, all of them. I wish it were one of those situations where the cats could just not get along for ten years but her peeing on absolutely everything in my kids rooms is NOT safe for them. It is unhealthy and we cannot do it anymore. My human children come first.

While I would love to say "please stick to the topic" I know that won't happen, it is a public forum after all. However, this is not an, "I changed my mind and I hate this cat" kind of situation, so please don't treat me like it is. I am trying to do what's best for everyone and am only looking for some suggestions. I know pets are a very sensitive subject and I don't come at this very lightly. Thank you for all of your comments thus far.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

I don't know where you think that you are being treated in a bad light here? If that is directed at anything I have posted I think you are reading it wrong....I was only telling my story about what I am going through.I am very much a cat lover too and went through the bad behaviour with my cat that passed away last year so I understand the frustration you are going through.I wish I had some advice for you,same as I wish someone could help me with my situation too!
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

AandMKelowna wrote:I am one of those people who LOVES cats. I was the kid bringing home strays, and maybe that's why it's been so hard with this one. My oldest cat was found in a box by a dumpster at 5 weeks old. My second cat showed up at my parents house completely starving with kidney damage, after having kittens.

I fully agree that when you PLAN to get a kitten it should be a lifelong commitment, just like having kids. We did NOT plan this one; We took her in to get her healthy and find her a forever home. We have done EVERYTHING to try and get this to work. All of the things written above have been tried, all of them. I wish it were one of those situations where the cats could just not get along for ten years but her peeing on absolutely everything in my kids rooms is NOT safe for them. It is unhealthy and we cannot do it anymore. My human children come first.

While I would love to say "please stick to the topic" I know that won't happen, it is a public forum after all. However, this is not an, "I changed my mind and I hate this cat" kind of situation, so please don't treat me like it is. I am trying to do what's best for everyone and am only looking for some suggestions. I know pets are a very sensitive subject and I don't come at this very lightly. Thank you for all of your comments thus far.

You possibly took my comments as negative.
Was not meant that way.
Maybe I can help.
You have said you tried everything but possibly not.
You have said the cat has no medical issues going on, so thats a start.
My first question to you, in the hopes of helpng, is how many litter boxes do you have
and is it 3 cats that you have?
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

AandMKelowna wrote:Has anyone surrendered a cat

I don't know if there is one near you, but we visit Bosley's Pet Store near our home frequently (doggy's day out for a cookie). They always have a variety of cats there (kitten and older), usually strays, and they re-home them through an application process. Maybe phone them and ask.
AandMKelowna

Post by AandMKelowna »

No, my comment wasn't directed specifically at anyone, I was simply clarifying my situation because I know pets are a very sensitive subject and I've seen many a poster receive loads of crap for postings like mine(not here). I do appreciate all responses!

We have three cats and three litter-boxes, cleaned every two days. They are in a private spot and she will use it until one of the other cats does. We have tried different types of kitty litter, separate locations too.

It's been just over 7 months that we've had her and we've been dealing with this the whole time, and we just can't do it anymore. I will definitely give Bosley's a call.

Thank you to everyone.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

AandMKelowna wrote:No, my comment wasn't directed specifically at anyone, I was simply clarifying my situation because I know pets are a very sensitive subject and I've seen many a poster receive loads of crap for postings like mine(not here). I do appreciate all responses!

We have three cats and three litter-boxes, cleaned every two days. They are in a private spot and she will use it until one of the other cats does. We have tried different types of kitty litter, separate locations too.

It's been just over 7 months that we've had her and we've been dealing with this the whole time, and we just can't do it anymore. I will definitely give Bosley's a call.

Thank you to everyone.

Just in reading this I noticed you said that the litter boxes are cleaned every two days. If by that you mean scooping then that is not enough.
When there are multiple cats litter boxes should be scooped twice a day.
You may know all this info but if not here it is.
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9563/inappr ... s-answered
AandMKelowna

Post by AandMKelowna »

Thanks for the link. There isn't there that is much help unfortunately, she will even pee outside the box if it's a brand new litterbox.

I will attempt to do it twice a day, move them farther apart and consider "citrus-ing" my house.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

AandMKelowna, when you took your cat to the vets for an exam they should have tested your cats urine to test for a bladder infection or crystals.If they did not do this then that could very likely be the problem.
I only mention this because I know of at least one vet who has no business being a vet
and would probably mess up on a diagnosis.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”