Getting your dog's nails trimmed

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Getting your dog's nails trimmed

Post by Iamsomeone »

Do people regularly get their dog's nails trimmed? My 2 year old border collie/Aussy has been clicking around the house lately so I wonder if he needs a trim.

Growing up we had many dogs and never, ever got their nails trimmed. Is this common for some breeds or just a gimmick by dog groomers? Is it really necessary and how often is it done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Getting your dog's nails trimmed

Post by Bsuds »

If your dog is not getting enough outside time, ie walking on the road or sidewalk then the nails will grow as they are not being worn down. The groomer does my dogs nails every 3 months and I sometimes do them sooner if needed as her nails grow quite long. It's not hard to do if you are careful and don't take too much off.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Iamsomeone wrote:Do people regularly get their dog's nails trimmed? My 2 year old border collie/Aussy has been clicking around the house lately so I wonder if he needs a trim.

Growing up we had many dogs and never, ever got their nails trimmed. Is this common for some breeds or just a gimmick by dog groomers? Is it really necessary and how often is it done?

It is necessary to keep nails clipped if they aren't worn down naturally. When I hear clicking, I trim them. Saves hardwood floors, but most importantly saves their toes from getting sore or nails getting snagged if the nails grow too long. Nails can curl down and around and dew claws can imbend themselves into the skin in a worst case scenario.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

Thank you Bsuds and Fancy. I'll get them trimmed and then keep an eye on how long they grow. They don't seem to be bothering him but better to err on the cautious side.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”