Diabetic cats and dogs. How do you cope?

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Re: Diabetic cats and dogs. How do you cope?

Post by Tootsie »

And to the throwing up...see my post above.....we found that we have to wait a bit till buddy-boy has enough stuff in the gut (about an hour)...then no puking.
Sighhhhh...yes we'll see our furbabies through ! Takes it's toll on moms though !

Stay strong Mama DC (diabetic cat) !

** As per the insulin pen thing that you're doing...just wanted to say that we worked it out 2 weeks ago with out vet (we thought about the pen thing) & we figure it's more cost effective what we're doing now. Your situation may differ with the dosage -what dosage are you giving ?

At any rate, feel free to PM me or post otherwise.

It's an expensive adventure to keep our babies healthy & I for one, welcome any first-hand advice others can give so I hope I'm helping you.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

If you are not using a lot of insulin, I would definitely recommend the pen. Once a bottle of Lantus has been punctured, it loses its effectiveness in a month or less. You're cat's blood sugar will start to spike and you won't know why.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
thomasgunnar

Post by thomasgunnar »

My rottweiler is diabetic. She has been since Oct 2014. We have a daughter that is diabetic as well. We figured we kept her alive while she was living at home we should be able to handle a dog.

We use a human insulin, two shots a day. Once we got her food down pat (hungry at meal time but not starving) we tailored her insulin to that. We do regular blood testing. The best place for her is in the lip, probably not good for a cat though.

We had her into the vet a few months ago to have a skin tag looked at. After looking at it and some microscope work the vet determined it was just that, a skin tag. Her heart, lungs were good. They sent some blood off and it came back good. The vet said she had the blood of a puppy although they did say her sugars were on the lower side of normal.

I think once you have been at it a while it will be as natural as your morning or evening coffee.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”