Bike Riding with your Dog

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
CrazyKid

Bike Riding with your Dog

Post by CrazyKid »

So, I want to start bike riding with my dog. He needs to run and it seems like the best way. Plus it is nice outside and who doesn't like a nice bike ride. I have been doing my research online and there are particiular leashes you are supposed to use when biking with your dog. This makes it safer because they won't be able to run into your tires or pull you over if they see another dog. Does anyone know where I can find one of these leashes? I have attached a photo of one of the many styles of leash. I have been looking online and I can't find anything. Does anyone know where to get one?

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
Dog riding.png
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Bike Riding with your Dog

Post by Swoop »

...no offense - but I personally don't think riding a bike with a dog is a good idea at all...
CrazyKid

Post by CrazyKid »

It can be dangerous if you don't have the right equipment, but thats why I am being responsible and looking for the right equipment. I am not going to have a leash in my hand and try to bike ride with him, nor am I going to tie it around my seat. It is good excercise for myself and for my dog. I won't go too fast that he can't handle it. I don't really see the problem. I can tell when my dog is over heated or getting too tired in which case I will stop. I am also not going on highways or anything major, just the neighbourhood streets in my subdivision or maybe on a trail. How is this a bad idea?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

good on you for trying to do the right thing, now that the weather is nice i am riding my bike almost every day at the- OFF LEASH missiongreenway park-sarcasm-
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
ginger

Post by ginger »

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

What you're looking for is called a springer. Check your PM for info.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CrazyKid

Post by CrazyKid »

Perfect! Thank you!!
Robster

Post by Robster »

If you really must ride with a dog at your side please be very careful....I once had the supreme misfortune to hear the awful screams from a dog who'd just jammed its nose between the wire wheel spokes and front forks of a bike, this poor animal had its nose and a section of its gums and teeth almost torn off......

I like the device shown in an earlier post that keeps the dog away from the bike wheels, if you've made up your mind to run your dog like this, Please, Please, folks don't let them run on a loose leash.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

If your dog already knows to heel give it that command. That way it knows where it's supposed to be and you know where it is at all times. Also, turning can be a learning curve so take any bends and turns slow at the start.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I watched someone use one of these and it looked awkward for the rider and not so safe. Why not just burn your dog out at a park then he can work at his own pace?
If your determine to ride with your dog, it looks like the best way though.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

The springer devices work very well. I used one with my 45lb Standard Schnauzer and I could not feel him tugging/pulling at all. It is very safe and not awkward at all.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Cool
Kuhltiffany

Post by Kuhltiffany »

I just saw one of those last week at Global Pet! Looks neat, I wonder if it works well...
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

springer bike leash

Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

How active is your dog now? Please make sure your dog is fit enough to run while you bike. Most people run the dog hard because on a bike they can go fast. A dog needs to be conditioned to that much running. And please, stop to rest your dog and offer them a drink of water!

I hate seeing dogs running alongside a bike, people just run the dog too hard thinking that half an hour of hard running saves them the time it takes to exercise their dog properly.

left to their own devices, dogs don't run non-stop like people do. They run here, sniff and pee, run over ther, sniff and pee, chase after that bird, sniff and pee, etc. dogs are more suited to sprinting than continuous movement.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”