Defining love for a pet

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Defining love for a pet

Post by Rosemary1 »

Cats are declawed to protect furniture, confined indoor to protect them from dangers of outside world.

Dogs's vocal cords are cut so they don't bark and annoy neighbours, kept on short chains all day long or enclosed for hours indoors waiting for their owners to get home from work so they can be taken for a walk and relieve themselves.

Irony: some of those same owners are same people who also worry about the quality of their pet's food or spend hundreds and thousands on a terminally ill pet that only prolong the pets suffering.

Seen these things first hand far too often.

Sometimes love for animals means foregoing indulgence of owning a pet.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Defining love for a pet

Post by kgcayenne »

I hate the concept of declawing. My cats get a manicure every couple of weeks and have scratching posts with ample kitty ganja (catnip).

There are bears and coyotes cruising through our back yard, so these two hang out indoors. Besides, I don't want them using someone's garden or flowerbeds as litter boxes.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Well the pet owners I have a peeve with are those who drive around with their pet in box of pickup. Hey if you can't bring them up front with you, then leave your pet at home.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dogs riding in the back of pickup trucks are particularly at risk. The safest way to transport your dog or other pet is to keep them inside your vehicle.

Remember, it's the law: Section 72 of the BC Motor Vehicle Act prohibits the transport of an unsecured pet in the back of a pickup truck.

http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/driving ... r-pet.aspx
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Its a shame the police don't appear to enforce that.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Omg people actually cut the vocal cords of dogs?? Excuse me while I go cry, that is horrific
hail Satan y'all
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.naiaonline.org/articles/arti ... go5gY.dpbs
I've known a few dogs that have had their vocal chords shaved - they can still bark but it's muffled.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Fancy wrote:http://www.naiaonline.org/articles/article/debarking-bark-softening-myths-and-facts#sthash.RNwgo5gY.dpbs
I've known a few dogs that have had their vocal chords shaved - they can still bark but it's muffled.

oh my gosh, that is horrific.
hail Satan y'all
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I wouldn't do it but those particular dogs came through it just fine and still kept their original owners. Too many are given up to shelters, even after surgery. I feel the same way about declawing - that's brutul surgery.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Fancy wrote:I wouldn't do it but those particular dogs came through it just fine and still kept their original owners. Too many are given up to shelters, even after surgery. I feel the same way about declawing - that's brutul surgery.

I feel the same way. When you buy a dog, you have to expect they are going to bark. Same with a cat, you know they are going to have claws. So if you aren't capable of dealing with the barking, and the clawing (such as with training, and clipping) then maybe they should reconsider getting that animal in the first place.
hail Satan y'all

Return to “The Pet Lounge”