Rescue Animals

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Rescue Animals

Post by just popping in »

I know Canada needs help adopting rescued animals but is it this bad? I hope not.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/151416/ ... d#comments
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Rescue Animals

Post by Bsuds »

Canada is helping as those dogs are from California and yes it is bad there.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Unfortunately, there are a lot of very overwhelmed shelters in the US, and yes, a large majority of their animals end up being euthanized.
It is especially bad for large breeds and 'bully' breeds.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

I do not agree with the mass (commercial) importing of dogs. They are rarely vetted adequately and there is no support available for the adoptive families. So if the dog is not a good fit for the family, it ends up on the doorstep of local rescues/shelters who are already overburdened.

Logistically, the US has what, 10/50/100? Times the population of Canada and WE are taking THEIR dogs? They must be laughing their *bleep* off at us.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Bunnyhop wrote:I do not agree with the mass (commercial) importing of dogs. They are rarely vetted adequately and there is no support available for the adoptive families. So if the dog is not a good fit for the family, it ends up on the doorstep of local rescues/shelters who are already overburdened.

Logistically, the US has what, 10/50/100? Times the population of Canada and WE are taking THEIR dogs? They must be laughing their *bleep* off at us.

The mass commercial importation of rescue dogs ?
This is about a local trainer who is bringing up 10-12 dogs from a shelter in California.
The dogs will be worked with and trained, and support given to potential adopters.

Rarely vetted ? have you ever tried to import animals across the border ?

Yes, I'm sure Americans find it hilarious that at least some of the dogs they euthanize every day are being saved and finding loving homes.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

In the first line of the story it says 100 dogs were brought to Vancouver from California.

The 10-12 that will be brought to Kelowna will be from another shipment. Training 10-12 is a big undertaking. Is the local trainer going to take back any dogs that don't work out with their adoptive families? Or will they end up with a local rescue group?

Will she pre-screen adoptive families and each dog to make sure it's a good fit? Or make sure the dog isn't going into a bad situation? Like being sold for research labs or used in a dog fighting ring? Don't kid yourself that that is not going on here. Or will they just hand the dogs out at the airport when they arrive, like in the story?

And FYI, dogs entering Canada from the US that are over 8 months of age, being imported for commercial purposes (this scenario fits the definition) only require a valid rabies certificate. No other health requirements must be met.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

Not at all saying that this is the case here, but some "rescues" are just businesses hiding under a "registered society".
I know of one on the coast in particular that consistently has over 30 dogs on Petfinder/Kijiji/wherever they can peddle them for their minimum $450 "donation". (no receipt given - cash only please) They promise vet certificates that never appear, and will only meet you at locations of their choice - never let you come to where the dogs are actually housed, and refuse to answer queries about the dog after adoption. The dogs are all advertised as last second dramatic rescues making themselves out to be heroes, but the number of dogs they flip in a month tells another story. I am all about supporting honest rescue organizations, but after dealing with this particular one I was totally disgusted.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

beancounter wrote:Not at all saying that this is the case here, but some "rescues" are just businesses hiding under a "registered society".
I know of one on the coast in particular that consistently has over 30 dogs on Petfinder/Kijiji/wherever they can peddle them for their minimum $450 "donation". (no receipt given - cash only please) They promise vet certificates that never appear, and will only meet you at locations of their choice - never let you come to where the dogs are actually housed, and refuse to answer queries about the dog after adoption. The dogs are all advertised as last second dramatic rescues making themselves out to be heroes, but the number of dogs they flip in a month tells another story. I am all about supporting honest rescue organizations, but after dealing with this particular one I was totally disgusted.

Unfortunately, when 100 dogs are brought in at a time, it would be very, very difficult (and expensive) to give 100% support to all of them.

As for the local person wanting to bring in 10 - 12 dogs, I see they have set up a GoFundMe page to raise $4,000 towards their efforts. This suggests they do not have sufficient resources to care for all of these dogs. What happens when one or more of the dogs needs major vet care? When one of the dogs turns out to be HW+? IMO, they are not equipped to be doing this, as well meaning as they are.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

The fact that this lady is putting in her own time and resources to train/rehab these dogs, and that she trains dogs for a living make me think that this is one of the many "better" rescues out there. I have no problem helping her fund this, and I know that she has set also help set up fundraisers for local people who can not afford high cost emergency veterinary care. I have heard that she does great things with dogs, so those are 10 pretty lucky pups. Yes there are lots of dogs in BC that could use the same help, but these ones are here now and they don't know anything about borders.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

What really needs to be done, is to have things like Kijiji, Facebook, Craigslist and even Castanet prohibit the sale of animals.

There are literally dozens of dozens available at almost every shelter in every town. These online sites only encourage/enable puppy mills.

Take away the places for these people to advertise their poor dogs, then they will realize they dont have as many options to sell and will hopefully move on to some other scam that doesn't hurt animals.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

People adopting Pound Rescue Dogs are urged to get the animals thoroughly checked by a veterinarian before getting attached to them.

My son adopted a large mixed breed (Dane plus Mastiff ??) in Vancouver and so far it has had to have both back legs repaired at a cost of $3,600 dollars per leg and extensive "schooling" to curb his appetite for going for the neck of any dog that appears to be at all aggressive when coming toward him.

On the other hand he thinks all people without a stick in their hand are wonderful.

As far as I can see he will need constant watching for the foreseeable future when out walking. Yes we are crazy to keep him but you know how it is with pets.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Donald G wrote:People adopting Pound Rescue Dogs are urged to get the animals thoroughly checked by a veterinarian before getting attached to them.

My son adopted a large mixed breed (Dane plus Mastiff ??) in Vancouver and so far it has had to have both back legs repaired at a cost of $3,600 dollars per leg and extensive "schooling" to curb his appetite for going for the neck of any dog that appears to be at all aggressive when coming toward him.

On the other hand he thinks all people without a stick in their hand are wonderful.

As far as I can see he will need constant watching for the foreseeable future when out walking. Yes we are crazy to keep him but you know how it is with pets.

Youd be surprised how many dogs that come from " breeders" that have pretty much the same issues.

My friends in the doggy world tell me some of these that came in with this rescue have similar issues too.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

An update on how the imported dogs are doing. At least 5 of the 10-12 dogs plus a litter of puppies, have extensive medical issues. I mean this sincerely, because its the dogs that need help, please consider a donation.

https://www.gofundme.com/zhc79sg4
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Youd be surprised how many dogs that come from " breeders" that have pretty much the same issues.

My friends in the doggy world tell me some of these that came in with this rescue have similar issues too.

Many of the "breeders" out there (especially selling purebred breeds) will breed animals of the same blood line. This inbreeding can cause health issues. Which is so sad, all so they can charge more money for a dog.

I am sorry to hear about the health problems of your son's dog Donald G. You tend to hear less health complications from mix breeds.

As for the behavioral problems, that is one of the issues with adopting. I have a feeling that is one of the main reasons dog are put up for adoption in the first place. People get a puppy, and don't put the effort into training it properly. Once the dog gets old enough to actually cause some damage, the owners realize they can't deal with it and bring it to the pound. Without proper training dogs can bite, have separation anxiety, chase, run away, etc.
hail Satan y'all

Return to “The Pet Lounge”