Pet cosmetic surgery

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Pet cosmetic surgery

Post by GordonH »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/156 ... rgery-bans

Should also add vocal cord Debarking surgery……. I'm sure there are other procedures that should be added.

All of this just sickens me
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Pet Cosmetic surgery

Post by Fancy »

I've never agreed with ear cropping and other countries have been far ahead (by multiple decades) of North America regarding this procedure.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Declawing cats should not be happening either.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

My brother has a huge male Great Dane. His girlfriend was showing me pictures of the dog's parents and they had those classic tall standing ears you see in a lot of the breed. Nothing like getting a huge chunk of your ear removed and then have the remaining ear wrapped and taped around a tampon for months and months.

She also told me there was a common surgery to make their eyes less droopy. Literally a doggy eye-lift. That's insane to me.

Not that I condone it (neither do they) but he's one dog that could benefit from a shorter tail. The poor thing's tail is 2-2.5' long and smacks against any hallway he walks down. They actually have a little foam contraption they tape to the end which makes him look like he's auditioning for American Gladiators.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ear cropping is one thing, there really is no need for it these days. Tail docking is another thing, there are breeds such as Great Dane's and Boxers that it could very well be better for the dog to have a docked tail to prevent further injury in the future simply by wagging its tail against objects constantly.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Dizzy1 wrote:Ear cropping is one thing, there really is no need for it these days. Tail docking is another thing, there are breeds such as Great Dane's and Boxers that it could very well be better for the dog to have a docked tail to prevent further injury in the future simply by wagging its tail against objects constantly.

The main reason for the foamy tail condom is that the big guy gets go excited and wags his tail so hard he's constantly splitting it open on the walls. Some days it looks like a murder scene there's so much blood whipped around. That said, it doesn't seem to bother him much at all. Must look much worse than it feels.

Their tails are so thick, cropped ones look...very phallic.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

It's about bloody time.
I hate ear cropping and for many breeds they simply look butchered.
There is no breed of dog which needs to have their tail docked. There is no difference between the tail of a Boxer and that of a Dalmatian or Labrador.
All docking and cropping procedures are nothing but cosmetic - there are no physical or medical benefits.
It's all just because people think it looks better.

We used to dock our lamb's tails, but for sheep it is an actual physical benefit...along, thick wooly tail attracts mud, feces , bacteria and fly strike.
Much easier to brush and clean a long coated dog's tail regularly than an entire flock of sheep out in a pasture.

The concern of course, is that people will attempt to do it themselves if their vets won't.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Tail docking isn't just cosmetic with hunting and working dogs and many dogs with whip-like tails have suffered breaks and contusions. Some countries are on the fence regarding this procedure for various reasons and there are exceptions in countries that have banned the practice.

http://www.cdb.org/case4dock.htm

The Swedish study is cited by those that don't agree with the procedure and certainly I would prefer to have a whole tail in a household pet. Retrievers use their tail as a rudder in the water so tails do serve a purpose.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Fancy wrote:Tail docking isn't just cosmetic with hunting and working dogs and many dogs with whip-like tails have suffered breaks and contusions. Some countries are on the fence regarding this procedure for various reasons and there are exceptions in countries that have banned the practice.

http://www.cdb.org/case4dock.htm

The Swedish study is cited by those that don't agree with the procedure and certainly I would prefer to have a whole tail in a household pet. Retrievers use their tail as a rudder in the water so tails do serve a purpose.

I don't really buy the excuse that hunting and working dogs need to be docked for safety reasons...all that is, is an excuse to continue a preferred look by owners.
The majority of hunting and working breeds are not docked and their tails do not cause any problems.
The same is true for breeds with whip-like tails - my dog could knock a hole in the wall with his tail, but besides bruises on people's shins, it's never caused issues.

If an individual dog is constantly causing damage to t's tail, then there is sufficient reason for medical docking...but there is no reason for the continuation of automatic docking of all puppies at birth.

The only real reason it is done is for aesthetic purposes - because humans like the look better. It's what we've come to accept that breed to look like. I admit that it's taken me a while to like the look of a Doberman without cropped ears...simply because it's something you rarely saw a decade ago. A boxer with a long tail would also look odd....but, we'll all get used to that being the norm soon enough.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

North America is finally catching up to current times as Great Britain and other countries have not cropped ears for over 40 years. Could never stand to see a young dog's ears mangled and too many were botched.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Farmmaa wrote:
I don't really buy the excuse that hunting and working dogs need to be docked for safety reasons...all that is, is an excuse to continue a preferred look by owners.
The majority of hunting and working breeds are not docked and their tails do not cause any problems.
The same is true for breeds with whip-like tails - my dog could knock a hole in the wall with his tail, but besides bruises on people's shins, it's never caused issues.

If an individual dog is constantly causing damage to t's tail, then there is sufficient reason for medical docking...but there is no reason for the continuation of automatic docking of all puppies at birth.

The only real reason it is done is for aesthetic purposes - because humans like the look better. It's what we've come to accept that breed to look like. I admit that it's taken me a while to like the look of a Doberman without cropped ears...simply because it's something you rarely saw a decade ago. A boxer with a long tail would also look odd....but, we'll all get used to that being the norm soon enough.

Sorry, having a dog that had too many tail injuries requiring it removed as an adult, I'm going to disagree with you on that. I'd prefer a harmless procedure at a young age vs a more complex procedure at an adult age.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

My dogs both have cropped ears and I went through the process and aftercare with a few of their puppies as well. I don't consider the procedure when done by a professional, and we happen to have one of the best here in the Okanagan, to be barbaric at all. They never once felt a thing and had proper anesthesia. The reason I had them cropped was they were show dogs and a cropped dog wins over uncropped in a majority of shows. This will need to change within the breed clubs if it is going to be outlawed or they will driving the practice underground and making it unsafe.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's a major concern and I hope the current kennel clubs get on board and not penalize a dog with uncropped ears. I've read the same concern in dog books from decades ago.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Dizzy1 wrote:Sorry, having a dog that had too many tail injuries requiring it removed as an adult, I'm going to disagree with you on that. I'd prefer a harmless procedure at a young age vs a more complex procedure at an adult age.

The very few dogs who have recurring injury to their tails does not really justify docking the tails of every pup.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Farmmaa wrote:The very few dogs who have recurring injury to their tails does not really justify docking the tails of every pup.

"Happy tail syndrome" can be quite the issue in larger breeds.

Cosmetically I think it looks ridiculous in certain breeds. But if it's know to eliminate the issue down the road, it would be a much simpler procedure as a puppy. My brothers dog is short haired and I still couldn't wrap my hand around the base of his tail. Surgery seems like it would be far more difficult and painful at that stage.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”