Pet cosmetic surgery

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Pet Cosmetic surgery

Post by Dizzy1 »

Farmmaa wrote:
The very few dogs who have recurring injury to their tails does not really justify docking the tails of every pup.

How many pups get their tails docked? Not that many. If I'm looking a breed that is prone to tail injuries I would hope a reputable breeder has put that into consideration.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Dizzy1 wrote:How many pups get their tails docked? Not that many. If I'm looking a breed that is prone to tail injuries I would hope a reputable breeder has put that into consideration.

Pretty much every Boxer, Doberman, Rottweiler, Airedale Terrier, Cocker Spaniel, Silky Terrier, Australian Shepherd, , Bouvier, Brittany Spaniel, Cane Corso, Clumber Spaniel, Springer Spaniel, German Short-haired/Wire haired Pointer, Schnauzer, Vizsla, Irish Terrier, Jack Russell Terrier, Bulldog, Kerry Blue Terrier, King Charles Spaniel, Miniature Pinscher, Neapolitan Mastiff, Old English Sheepdog, Parson Jack Russell Terrier, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Rottweiler, Fox Terrier, Wheaten Terrier, Standard Poodle, Toy Poodle, Weimaraner, Wire-haired Fox Terrier, and Yorkshire Terrier.

All in all, more than 50 registered breeds have traditionally had their tails docked at birth...so...a LOT of pups.

The reasons that it was originally done are questionable at best - to prevent rabies in hunting dogs ( less chance of being bitten by wild animals ), to reduce the need for regular grooming and bathing, to prevent tails from being caught in farm machinery or under wagon wheels, easier access to small spaces for catching vermin. Oh...and farmers weren't taxed on dogs with docked tails , as they could claim them as working dogs.

Ironically, the breeds which suffer from tail injuries most often - Great Danes, Pitbulls, Retrievers and Greyhounds...have never been routinely docked.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Farmmaa wrote:Pretty much every Boxer, Doberman, Rottweiler, Airedale Terrier, Cocker Spaniel, Silky Terrier, Australian Shepherd, , Bouvier, Brittany Spaniel, Cane Corso, Clumber Spaniel, Springer Spaniel, German Short-haired/Wire haired Pointer, Schnauzer, Vizsla, Irish Terrier, Jack Russell Terrier, Bulldog, Kerry Blue Terrier, King Charles Spaniel, Miniature Pinscher, Neapolitan Mastiff, Old English Sheepdog, Parson Jack Russell Terrier, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Rottweiler, Fox Terrier, Wheaten Terrier, Standard Poodle, Toy Poodle, Weimaraner, Wire-haired Fox Terrier, and Yorkshire Terrier.

All in all, more than 50 registered breeds have traditionally had their tails docked at birth...so...a LOT of pups.

Out of some 340 breeds recognized by the ICA.

Farmmaa wrote:The reasons that it was originally done are questionable at best - to prevent rabies in hunting dogs ( less chance of being bitten by wild animals ), to reduce the need for regular grooming and bathing, to prevent tails from being caught in farm machinery or under wagon wheels, easier access to small spaces for catching vermin. Oh...and farmers weren't taxed on dogs with docked tails , as they could claim them as working dogs.

I'm aware why they were originally docked, as well as why ears were cropped.
Farmmaa wrote:Ironically, the breeds which suffer from tail injuries most often - Great Danes, Pitbulls, Retrievers and Greyhounds...have never been routinely docked.

As I said, having been in the situation myself once before, and currently owning a breed that is known for tail injuries, ours has her tail docked and we hope any reputable breeder puts that into consideration.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Natural bobtails do exist in dogs and some breeding has been done to promote that.

Natural bobtail dog breeds with C189G mutation:
Australian Shepherd
Austrian Pinscher
Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog
Braque du Bourbonnais
Brazilian Terrier
Brittany Spaniel
Croatian Sheepdog
Danish Swedish Farmdog
Jack Russell Terrier
Karelian Bear Dog
Mudi
Polish Lowland Sheepdog
Pyrenean Shepherd
Braque Francais aka Savoy Sheepdog
Schipperke
Spanish Water Dog
Swedish Vallhund
Pembroke Welsh Corgi

Wikipedia
There are natural bobtail boxers around as well.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

^^^ Boxer !!!! :) :) :)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nice looking dog. Would love to see more breeds with the bobtail instead of a whip - got tired of bruises and clean coffee tables (never mind the dogs that break their tails).
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Pet cosmetic surgery

Post by GordonH »

Bump

Excellent News on totally unnecessary procedure of tail docking (except due to injury or medical necessary).
http://www.cvbc.ca/CVBC2/News/News___An ... 4023158ed8
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://globalnews.ca/news/3065644/tail- ... ering-dog/
Here's a pup that may need additional surgery because of the first one - so sad.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

http://distractify.com/trending/2016/10/18/tattoo-artist-tattoos-dog
This one's a real winner, I hope the dog was sedated while it was done.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Fancy wrote:http://globalnews.ca/news/3065644/tail-docking-ban-sigh-of-relief-for-okanagan-woman-with-suffering-dog/
Here's a pup that may need additional surgery because of the first one - so sad.

I don't quite understand how an owner can be completely unaware of the fact that their dog's tail has been docked. :135:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Maybe thought it was naturally short.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Fancy wrote:Maybe thought it was naturally short.

That's the thing though - anyone even considering a dog should be researching everything they can about the breed/breeds they are interested in.
Very few breeds have naturally bobbed tails.....which one would know if they had done any research before purchasing the dog
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped

Far overdue, 2 thumbs up to BC College of Veterinarians.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/225746 ... ing-banned
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

...anyone who knows me knows that I had my poor cat declawed (15 years ago) and regret the decision; at the time I thought I knew what they did and was shocked at what I found out they actually did (amputate at the first knuckle of each and every front toe).
:cry:

I am now an advocate for NOT declawing and support this decision 100%.

Ever since he was declawed, our Mowse has walked raccoon-like and now that he's getting older he's showing signs of...not pain so much, but tenderness, in his lower legs. I suspect his tendons are shortening as I am told happens to older declawed cats. He can't jump down from anything higher than about 4 feet as it hurts him.

The guilt I have felt all these years is horrible, and I'm sure my poor pussycat is not happy about it either.

SO happy about this new regulation!
:smt045
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Allow animals to be as natural as possible. Lucky for me, my bischon shihtzu never barks, ever. I tend to be more of a bird guy and I have a yellow bibbed lorikeet weaning right now (I’m having a baby) Lately, I’ve been watching videos about bird owners who take their birds to an open field and let them fly as far as the eye can see and they come back. Not sure if that is safe around here and I will probably continue to clip flight wings which is also considered safe. Maybe, I just am not experienced enough.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”