Is there a list of training threads?

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Is there a list of training threads?

Post by HoboJo »

I have yet another untrained dog. If there is an archive of links that you could provide me I would be appreciative.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Is there a list of training threads?

Post by Bunnyhop »

Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I prefer using rewards based methods myself. Dog training has come a long way from the old alpha style training methods.

Contact Catherine Adams at http://taketheleaddogtraining.ca She is completely force free methods.

Kirsten Rose divides her time between Calgary and Kelowna, I think. Excellent trainer!!
https://www.facebook.com/CanineMindsandManners/
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

Thank you. I have gone through many of the facebook posts and will likely read others.

My "new to me" 2yr old Rottweiler is so nice and loving. To me. I will follow those links.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

HoboJo wrote:Thank you. I have gone through many of the facebook posts and will likely read others.

My "new to me" 2yr old Rottweiler is so nice and loving. To me. I will follow those links.

Is s/he from a local rescue group or the SPCA? They are often affiliated with trainers that may give discounts to dogs from their organization.

There are 2 trainers in Kelowna that I would absolutely avoid like the plague, you can PM me for their names if you want.
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

The two dogs I have left (had to shoot the other one) did not come from the SPCA, the pound, or from anywhere. People die, move, or otherwise find themselves in a dog gifting situation. I tend to be the receiver.

I have paged through the above links, I think I would prefer additional ones.

Are there any generic links on how to keep my dog from eating people?

Obviously money is not changing hands. I just wanted to read up on basic (*read not eat you) training.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

HoboJo wrote:The two dogs I have left (had to shoot the other one) did not come from the SPCA, the pound, or from anywhere. People die, move, or otherwise find themselves in a dog gifting situation. I tend to be the receiver.

I have paged through the above links, I think I would prefer additional ones.

Are there any generic links on how to keep my dog from eating people?

Obviously money is not changing hands. I just wanted to read up on basic (*read not eat you) training.

Excuse me ? You shot one of your dogs ?
And yet...people still give their dogs to you ? :200:

It would seem rather obvious, to most, that an extremely aggressive animal needs more than a few basic pointers or tips read on the internet.
They need someone with real experience in handling, rehabilitating and training powerful, aggressive dogs.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Sometimes when your dog gets hurt badly, like say deaf dog falls asleep under a vehicle, it's quicker and more humane to put the dog immediately out of it's misery than to wait around for a vet to inject it.
So there is no reason to be shocked, when someone says they shot their dog.

But I do agree with the going to a proper trainer so that both the animal and the animal owner can learn how to deal with it.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

There are quite a few Facebook groups that focus on dog training, the OP may find them helpful. IMO, aggression (whether directed at humans or other dogs) is very difficult to resolve without the help of a qualified trainer. It is very easy to make it worse.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

And sometimes there are just some animals that don't belong around people but what can you do? Abandon, give away to some unsuspecting schmuck or put down.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

Thanks to Bunnyhop and the rest. I never seem to have time and money at the same time. That is to say a "professional" trainer is not in the cards.

I live near nowhere. I get few unexpected guests. There may/should/probably be few maulings.

More "google ing" in my future I guess.

Thanks anyways.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Definitely Google "Kikopup muzzle training". A muzzle when guests are around can literally be a life saver. Or when the dog has to see a vet, etc.

If the dog is not going to be around strangers regularly then it will be more difficult to resolve this issue. Dogs do what works, and what they practice, whether that is good behaviour or bad. It may simply come down to management in this case.

Muzzle train, a rock solid Recall, and Place are 3 things I would say are not negotiable and a good starting point.

Follow a few trainers on Facebook to get some ideas on general handling. I like this guy for one.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Good-Dog-T ... 373293039/

You may find the FB group "Volatile Dogs" helpful. Or "All Things Dog Behavior".
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

Kikopup muzzle training

Bingo.

My little terror isn't fixed but stuffing the above into google is getting me much better results. Also, thank you.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Kikopup has tons of great training videos on YouTube. Glad you found it helpful. A muzzle is not a bad thing and dogs can be trained to accept them and some even enjoy them. The basket style seems to be the better type as it allows the dog to drink, eat and pant freely.

I hope you will keep us posted on how it's going with your dog. It's not an easy thing to deal with aggression and it doesn't necessarily mean the dog is "bad". The most common reason for aggression is fear, not viciousness so there are humane ways to modify the behaviour. Good luck.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Interactive--click on the topics images on the front page.
Guide to Cat Ownership
the Onion

http://www.theonion.com/guide-to-cats/

The Onion knows cats like it knows the back of its clawed and bleeding hand. Whether you have questions about your cat's unpredictable moods, unpredictable behaviors, or unexpected bouts of tolerance and affection, this guide is here to help.

. . .

Return to “The Pet Lounge”