Pets for sale

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
mae
Fledgling

Pets for sale

Post by mae »

Thought I would take a gander at the pets for sale in the classified section today. I was very surprised at the amount of money people are asking for unregistered purebred puppies and dogs. Why would somebody put out that kind of money with no assurances on the lineage of their new pet? Why not buy from a certified breeder?
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Pets for sale

Post by Bunnyhop »

mae wrote:Thought I would take a gander at the pets for sale in the classified section today. I was very surprised at the amount of money people are asking for unregistered purebred puppies and dogs. Why would somebody put out that kind of money with no assurances on the lineage of their new pet? Why not buy from a certified breeder?

I wonder if its because ethical and responsible breeders are pickier about who they sell their puppies to?

I also wonder how many of the advertisers are fronts for puppy mills? People will keep breeding dogs for profit as long as others are buying them. Too sad.
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Post by exFarmerS »

I've been baffled by the prices as well. It's only been 4 years since we bought our last mid-size dog and, at that time, mixed breed puppies were anywhere from $200 to $400.

We started looking for a small breed to add to the house and the prices on Castanet are nuts. $650 to $1200. So I've moved over to watching the rescue groups. Nice little young dogs for $400 or less in this area. If I want to drive across the border I can get small breed mix puppies from rescues for $100 US. When the right one pops up here or in Washington, we'll pounce.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Yah, cuz when the price goes down, the pedigree goes up.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Beaux56

Post by Beaux56 »

I would be tempted to pay a little bit more for a Golden, but with a cancer rate as high as 72%, many don't get to see their eighth birthday. Sure, some make it to old age, but my last two didn't. While could talk about the vet bills, I find that the emotional impact is what hits the family the hardest.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Yah, cuz when the price goes down, the pedigree goes up.

We are talking about unregistered dogs...mutts, mixed breeds.
Even a dog advertised as a purebred is NOT necessarily a purebred - with no registration papers or pedigree, it's still just a mutt.

There is no way that a mixed breed or non papered puppy of any kind should cost as much as people are asking - it's insane.
Take a look at the classified section and you'll be hard pressed to find anything listed for under $500, most are anywhere from $500-$1,200. Most have no papers.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”