Saving Dogs and Cats in other Countries

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Saving Dogs and Cats in other Countries

Post by Rosemary1 »

There are about a dozen countries known for eating dogs (and cats) either as part of cultural practice, or due to necessity.

While I understand that saving a handful of dogs in Thailand from ending up on dinner plates is good for those few lucky dogs, thousands more will not be so lucky until the practice can be stopped through cultural change in some countries and eliminating food shortages in a few others.

We also have many dogs and cats on our own soil badly in need of saving from neglect and abuse and a home. As in many other things, why isn't every effort made to solve the problems first. When we can show exemplary model at home it puts us in better position to advocate for changes outside our own borders.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Saving Dogs and Cats in other Countries

Post by Always Sunny »

Personally I don't think it's really my duty to judge how/where others are choosing to place their humanitarian work. Just like adoption of children, I think it's pretty wonderful someone would open their doors and their hearts regardless of if that child were born in Kelowna, Canada, or a foreign country.

From my social media and the animal rescue sites I follow there's no shortage of Canadians focusing their help "locally".

I follow the "adopt, don't shop" mantra with animals, but I certainly will never fault someone or some organization based where they rescue from.

There's a certain # of animals needing rescue worldwide. So the only ones not helping make a positive change are the ones doing nothing at all.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

You are right 'always sunny'. I take your point.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Headline grabbing is the biggest reason some choose to go to other countries , so they can boast about it in the media.
Animals are rescued every day in Canada with out all the hoopla and fame seeking and no mention from the media.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I adopt rescue dogs. It isn’t my first prerequisite, but it is taken into consideration. Our last dog was from Cabo, Mexico - she’d had a machete taken to her. She had scars all over her back and a sandwich plate sized patch of fur missing from her back end. Someone saw her potential and thought she would make a good pet. She was the best dog we’ve ever had - unfortunately, we had to put her down a year later though because she got very sick.

I can tell you that unwanted dogs here in Canada are treated way better than unwanted dogs in other countries. Notwithstanding the jerks who abuse their dogs (that aren’t adoptable anyway - these people want to keep their dogs) unwanted dogs here are largely humanely euthanized. In other countries, they are horribly abused and mistreated on a regular basis and generally die awful deaths from starvation or wounds.

If you look at the Kelowna SPCA website right now, there is ONE dog available for adoption. It is a big dog and that’s not what we’re looking for. There are plenty of pitty crosses (don’t want to get into a ‘pitbull breeds are the bomb’ debate here, it’s just NOT what I want) and little dogs. We want a medium sized dog that likes other dogs AND can get along with cats. That lessens the availability for us.

We’ve trolled rescue societies all across Canada and USA looking for “that” dog. So far, we haven’t found what we’re looking for. We will though :)

Most won’t agree with me, some will. Either way, it’s not anyone’s business where I adopt/rescue my dog from.

And Sunny - you hit the nail on the head for me, thank you xo
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

Sige wrote:I adopt rescue dogs.

We’ve trolled rescue societies all across Canada and USA looking for “that” dog. So far, we haven’t found what we’re looking for. We will though :)

We have adopted from shelters, private rescues and breed specific rescues. I have a soft spot for old dogs, so we have had quite a few good canine friends over the years. When the time comes that we have to say goodbye it is never easy no matter how long you have had with them. After a while another one has always found its way to us, so I get it when you say "that" dog. Yours is out there and you will find each other, no matter how close or far apart you are now. :)
Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

I agree, I once rescued a dog from an abusive owner. Though she knew that I wouldn't harm her in any way, she was very scared and reserved in the first couple of weeks or so. It took some time for her to trust me and my family.But then she got over it and she was a part of our family for 10 years. She passed away last year because she was too old and ill. We still miss her.
vixxen

Post by vixxen »

Rosemary1 wrote:There are about a dozen countries known for eating dogs (and cats) either as part of cultural practice, or due to necessity.

While I understand that saving a handful of dogs in Thailand from ending up on dinner plates is good for those few lucky dogs, thousands more will not be so lucky until the practice can be stopped through cultural change in some countries and eliminating food shortages in a few others.

We also have many dogs and cats on our own soil badly in need of saving from neglect and abuse and a home. As in many other things, why isn't every effort made to solve the problems first. When we can show exemplary model at home it puts us in better position to advocate for changes outside our own borders.

All animals need saving from neglect abuse and inhumane way of dying. Do you see what they do to them dogs and cats before eating. So sick and gross it will make you cry. We all need to open our eyes on animal abuse from cats to sharks monkeys everything. Humans are the most cruelest living thing on this earth. I help as much as I can I might not physically go to each country to help but money is money and I can do without things to stop animal cruelty in this world. We all live here not just humans animals been here longer.
callmemaybe

Post by callmemaybe »

As I know, majority of Asian countries does this. Not because they are poor, but it's because it is part of their ritual or culture.
callmemaybe

Post by callmemaybe »

I good example of this is China that has a yearly celebration of it.
callmemaybe

Post by callmemaybe »

The event was called Yuengling event by the way.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36583400
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Rosemary1 wrote:There are about a dozen countries known for eating dogs (and cats) either as part of cultural practice, or due to necessity.

leave the ones outside our country alone - everyone has to eat. Save the abandoned 'pets' locally.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

A saved animal is a saved animal IMO.

As long as they live a great life, I don't care where they come from

Return to “The Pet Lounge”