Quail Eggs Gone!

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
mcleanfamily

Quail Eggs Gone!

Post by mcleanfamily »

A mama quail laid 9 eggs in our garden, and roosted on them for about 3 weeks. The neighbor's cat attacked her twice last week, and after the second attack, the mama quail didn't come back :( I woke to find 5 eggs missing, and half an hour later, all of them missing! No shells. What happened??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Quail Eggs Gone!

Post by Fancy »

First guess - magpies. They love quail.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Starlings is another good guess.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

There would be a trap in my yard for that :cuss: cat........ I just had a conversation" with my neighbor about his cat attacking birds and *bleep* in my yard.....my dog is fenced in my yard....I don't get why people,think it's ok for cats to wander in other people's yards.....and the part that I don't get...my neighbor thought I was being unreasonable......*bleep* is wrong with people.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 13th, 2016, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: auto censor workaround
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

mcleanfamily wrote:A mama quail laid 9 eggs in our garden, and roosted on them for about 3 weeks. The neighbor's cat attacked her twice last week, and after the second attack, the mama quail didn't come back :( I woke to find 5 eggs missing, and half an hour later, all of them missing! No shells. What happened??

Yeah, probably Magpies or crows...either way, the eggs would have been done anyhow. It's been too cool this week for them to have survived.
mcleanfamily

Post by mcleanfamily »

Thanks guys for your help. So sad. I wanted to help the eggs hatch. The mom was sitting on them for a good 3 weeks too until the cat scared her off. :(

Thanks again for your help!

Return to “The Pet Lounge”