Can you help keep my cat for 6 weeks?

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
mmt

Can you help keep my cat for 6 weeks?

Post by mmt »

We have a situation of closing our sold home on the 29th and taking possession new home in Aug 12. We decide to go stay with our parents and my mom is allergic to both dogs and cats. We really don't want our cat to place in a facility and looking for someone who want to enjoy our 9 years old very charming and independent indoor & outdoor tabby cat. We will leave all necessities plus extra cash in case if his supplies runs out. :)
Thanks very much for your consideration! :)
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Can you help keep my cat for 6 weeks?

Post by gardengirl »

I understand how difficult this would be, but I honestly cant imagine placing a Senior cat (or any pet for that matter) with absolute strangers for any time, let alone 6 weeks. This will be very stressful for the cat and who knows what kind of people you will hook up with. You are the "parents" in this case. Would you just place your child with strangers for 6 weeks because it is cheap and convenient?

I would immediately call Rose Valley Vet clinic. They do cat boarding and you can be sure that your cat will be safe and well cared for.

Since you are moving in with your parents for that 6 weeks, you are presumably not paying rent. That would free up some funds to pay for boarding the cat.

Edit: There are a few places which claim to board cats. I would be very careful to check them out myself. There was one in West Kelowna which was disgusting. They had a gutted mobile home with about 20 cats in small cages inside. The cats had no fresh air, no windows and were stuck in cages about 3ft by 3ft. The smell of litter was overwhelming.
Last edited by gardengirl on Jun 19th, 2016, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

Ryan and Sandy at Whiskers & Woofers are awesome. Fantastic people. Nice private rooms for kitty and daily one on one time.

gardengirl is correct that placing a pet, especially a senior, with total strangers would be very stressful. You don't know how kitty will react and you don't know how the caregivers will treat your little one. You are much better off placing with a reputable facility that will even welcome visitation.

Just be mindful that wherever kitty goes, whether its a facility as recommended or a private home that all shots are up to date.
mmt

Post by mmt »

Thank you guys!! Just FYI how much I looooove and care about my cat, I would push my keyboard towards my monitor so he has enough room to lie down between myself and the keyboard (imagine the position I have to type).
I open the doors many times daily and happily whenever he sit inside to go out or sit outside to come inside.
I would never declaw nor trim his nails too short to lose his grip on anything he climb and could lead to a fall, I take his kneading happily. My cat ride car so well without any cage. The longest I ever cage him is half an hour for a couple of times visiting to the vet, dentist every year ..est. Just a month ago I paid a $1,900 dental bill for him, that was single bill, there were 3 bills altogether if you are interested. :biggrin: My point is it's not about the cost nor I care any less. He's funny, he's charming, he's trouble free, he's the boss, he's our family.

Every friend suggest the boarding, but I did not think it's a good choice. Also I think every boarding will have him stay in a cage at least 2-3 hours per day, which can be painful for him. So that was my main reason and I think and hoping I might find someone very nice who want to try out a house cat for a while. Of course I won't dump so easily my cat into everyone hand just because they offer. I planned to check with my best sense and will figure if I should or should not. And I also believe people on this forum will not bother to offer unless they are really into it. I read a lot before I post anything anywhere just to sense what kind of people are talking here. Sending to a best find boarding, I kept as a very last plan.
You might think how do I manage when I have to travel, my friend have him happily always and now she just rescued 2 cats and they're both male so I can't risk that either. I attach one of his photos just you see how he look like, he's DA KING :up:
Attachments
That's my brother's pup and my cat train him
That's my brother's pup and my cat train him
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

I have no doubt that you love your furbaby.

Most reputable boarding places have rooms for the kitties, not cages.

I've used Whiskers & Woofers a few times.The rooms are a nice size, each one has a window snd there are perches and posts to play and scratch. I'm not sure how the other places are set up, but I imagine that they have a similar set up. My cats have their own unique sets of problems (physical and emotional) I worried about boarding them at first, but they did great.

Its an unfortunate situation, and you'll do what's best and what you feel most comfortable with. :up:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, pet boarding is wonderful. We put our two in a pet boarding place for two weeks this time of year last year and they did well.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
mmt

Post by mmt »

MalaPropina wrote:I have no doubt that you love your furbaby.

Most reputable boarding places have rooms for the kitties, not cages.

I've used Whiskers & Woofers a few times.The rooms are a nice size, each one has a window snd there are perches and posts to play and scratch. I'm not sure how the other places are set up, but I imagine that they have a similar set up. My cats have their own unique sets of problems (physical and emotional) I worried about boarding them at first, but they did great.

Its an unfortunate situation, and you'll do what's best and what you feel most comfortable with. :up:

Thank you MalaPropina and Queen K, I will definitely go check out Whiskers & Woofers as it seems really a keeper for emergency. And thank you gardengirl too. I guess my first post need a little more expression then that.

To share my very first and last experience with pet boarding facility was when we try to board my brother's dog, thinking if we keep him at our place, my cat will get very annoyed and we don't know the chase game all over the house may happen or not. So as my brother insist, we went there to drop the pup off at a well recommended and pricey facility and as soon as we parked, all dogs in their ally start barking continuously (I believe they all desperately want their dad/mom to pick them up). It just freeze me with a shock and sadness and I just ask my hubby to go in to cancel the booking and we brought him back. LOL! So since then, I told to myself "boarding them will be the last thing I should do!" :)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Try Pet Motel in North Glenmore. That's where we took Hannah and Willow.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
mmt

Post by mmt »

Will do that too Queen K, you guys rock. I love it here. :130:

Return to “The Pet Lounge”