Your spouse or your dog?

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Your spouse or your dog?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Duh, they needed a poll to figure this out?

Carrie Underwood sings “The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog” and according to a new poll, dog owners may agree.

A new Insights West poll has found more than half of dog owners say there are days when they love their pet more than their spouse, partner or significant other.

B.C.’s dog owners are extraordinarily fond of their pets, with 99 per cent saying they consider their dog as part of their family and 54 per cent saying there are days when they love their dog more than their spouse, partner or significant other (including 57 per cent of women).

Four-in-five dog owners (80 per cent) say they would not date or marry a person who did not like their dog, whereas love of a canine is not a deal breaker for non-dog owners, as 73 per cent of them say they would date or marry a person who had a dog.
It also found that more than half of British Columbia’s dog owners have chosen not to attend a party or gathering because they lacked a sitter for their pet.

More at link w/demographic breadown
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#173029
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Your spouse or your dog?

Post by Bunnyhop »

I think they are making more out of this than what is really there. If I couldn't find someone to board my dogs so that I could go out of town to an event, what else would I do but stay home? And truth be told, some days I love chocolate cake more than I love my spouse - depends on the day! ;-)

In my experience, people who grew up with pets have more empathy and more compassion for others than people who did not grow up with a pet. So not dating or marrying someone who doesn't like a pet says to me more about the non-pet liker than about me. Its not just that they don't like my pet, they probably lack qualities that are important to me, as evidenced by the fact that they don't like my pet.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

dog will feed me and spouse for a day.
spouse will feed me and dog for a week.

j/k'ing. I'd never eat my dog.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

You can always tell which one loves you more.

Lock wife and your dog in the trunk of your car and go in for a beer. When you come out open the trunk, which one is happier to see you!! It's true.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I recently (2 months ago) got into a huge argument over something similar to this with an old friend. We haven't spoken since. lol

She said something along the lines of "dogs aren't children. I hate when people talk about dogs like they are people or how they're deserving of the same love/attention as human beings. It's disgusting."

I said "I like animals better than people. I don't have kids and I treat my pets like children. I feed them, care for them, clean up after them, play with them and try to give them everything they need."

The conversation went on for a bit and then I said:

"If I had the choice to save my dog from a burning building or a complete stranger, I'd save my dog. Unless it was a child. I couldn't let a kid die, but a teenager or an adult? They're outta luck, because I am grabbing my dog."

She said "That's sick. That's someone's family. You'd be alright if someone did the same thing to your wife? Let her die because they saved their dog?"

I said "I wouldn't be alright with it, but I'd understand. I'd be mad at all sorts of things and grieve, but I can't see myself blaming that guy."

She said "You're disgusting. I'm glad I'm not your wife."

I didn't appreciate that comment and that sparked the end of our friendship it appears.

Funny enough, I asked my wife the hypothetical life saving question and she said "You BETTER save our dog if that ever happens."
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

My dog gives me unconditional love and he wants nothing more than to be with me. In my life, I don't know that any one person has ever or will ever feel that way about me. My wife and my kids love me ( I think) but not the way the boy does.

That's why more and more people are admitting to their attachment to their dogs. They give us what we need.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Can't sleep... cats will eat me...
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bman wrote:Can't sleep... cats will eat me...

That's why we save Dogs and let Cats fend for themselves.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!

Return to “The Pet Lounge”