Neighbour with excessive barking dogs

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Neighbour with excessive barking dogs

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Hi:

I have a new neighbour with 3 rat dogs that have now woke me up at 6 AM twice in the last few weeks.
The 3 dogs have gone on for hours with the excessive yelping on the back porch.

I have already posted a copy of the North Okanagan dog control bylaws.
When I did that, the level went way down, but then in the last while it has gone back up again.

I would like to be able to give them links or business contacts to dog trainers before I have to put in a complaint to dog control.

And yes - the rest of the neighbours are none too happy with having to put up with these rat dogs either.

I am trying to do this in a proper manner before going to the next level.
Your suggestions for Lumby area dog trainers would really be appreciated.

Thank you:
NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Neighbour with excessive barking dogs

Post by JLives »

Have you spoken to them and aired you concerns?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

I would skip the trainer step and just call dog control and let them deal with it. If people need to be told to keep their happy mutts from barking all day then they shouldn't own dogs. Same problem in the bella vista area. Just idiotic owners.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

So since I posted my original question the situation has not got any better.
I talked to them, nothing improved.
I called dog control and they talked to him. Then he gave me a loud veiled threat over the back fence.
The last few months it is starting up again and again with the continuous barking.

I have tried one of the ultrasonic dog trainer systems, mounted on the fence pointing toward where the dogs hang out and bark. But since the main yappy rat dog is half deaf and more than 50 feet away it does nothing.
Anyone good with speaker systems and amplifiers or know of a good place to get them?
I am trying to be humane here, but my patience is at an end with these idiots.

Thank you
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Not much help here but I do send my sincerest condolences.

I've been through that hell myself. On the bright side at least it starts at 6 a.m, rather than 24/7,

Small town living with NO animal control is Dante's Inferno.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

If you are in the regional district, they would have by-laws. Now, problem usually is they don't actively enforce them unless money is involved.
I'd continually complain with written notes with time. Record with time and let the regional district continually know this is a problem. Every day, twice a day and you'll stop complaining when the by-laws are enforced.
veiled threat... respond with a veiled threat to go to the media with your said notes and mention the Regional district is not enforcing their own by laws.
Say what we want about the media, but if there is a local story on a slow news day, they likely will be over.

Bottom line, you have to make it important to the Regional district to enforce their bylaws and have the neighbor comply.

Good Luck
I am not wealthy but I am rich
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

seewood wrote:If you are in the regional district, they would have by-laws. Now, problem usually is they don't actively enforce them unless money is involved.
I'd continually complain with written notes with time. Record with time and let the regional district continually know this is a problem. Every day, twice a day and you'll stop complaining when the by-laws are enforced.
veiled threat... respond with a veiled threat to go to the media with your said notes and mention the Regional district is not enforcing their own by laws.
Say what we want about the media, but if there is a local story on a slow news day, they likely will be over.

Bottom line, you have to make it important to the Regional district to enforce their bylaws and have the neighbor comply.

Good Luck

Good thoughts, and the local dog control does do their job well enough here, hence the veiled threat because they were told a fine was coming.
They are not willing to even attempt to train the rat dogs, so I am going to do my best from a distance with ultrasonic sound.
Which is why I need a much larger speaker and amplifier.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

unless you work nights you should be up at 6am anyway
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

LTD wrote:unless you work nights you should be up at 6am anyway
[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
I am retired and have no alarm clock.
Any day that starts before 7:30 AM is way too early.
(I normally don't get dressed till 9:00 AM :up: )

Sorry to hear that you have a real job :130: and have to be up in the middle of the night.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Notice you are up just before the crack of noon... :biggrin:
Anyway, if one were to ever start games, I've had my weed-wacker out at 7:05 on mornings when previous neighbors were carrying on well past 1 am the night before.
Parties stopped.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:So since I posted my original question the situation has not got any better.
I talked to them, nothing improved.
I called dog control and they talked to him. Then he gave me a loud veiled threat over the back fence.
The last few months it is starting up again and again with the continuous barking.

I have tried one of the ultrasonic dog trainer systems, mounted on the fence pointing toward where the dogs hang out and bark. But since the main yappy rat dog is half deaf and more than 50 feet away it does nothing.
Anyone good with speaker systems and amplifiers or know of a good place to get them?
I am trying to be humane here, but my patience is at an end with these idiots.

Thank you

I was wondering about the ultrasonic devices. Larger speakers do not do ultrasonic frequencies well, although, you may be able to possibly put a few ultrasonic speakers in parallel if you can find the same speaker type, maybe. An amplifier and additional speakers of the same type might be an option but requires some engineering time. There are also active noise cancelling devices that mount on windows, since windows is a point of entry for noise. Not that you should have to pay for any of these things. I would just keep on calling dog control.

Another method to reduce noise is by deflection. At your fence or what-ever borders your homes, is it possible to erect anything to deflect the noise?
Last edited by Jlabute on Sep 25th, 2018, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Jlabute wrote:I was wondering about the ultrasonic devices. Larger speakers do not do ultrasonic frequencies well, although, you may be able to possibly put a few ultrasonic speakers in parallel if you can find the same speaker type, maybe. An amplifier and additional speakers of the same type might be an option but requires some engineering time. There are also active noise cancelling devices that mount on windows, since windows is a point of entry for noise. Not that you should have to pay for any of these things. I would just keep on calling dog control.

Another method to reduce noise is by deflection. At your fence or what-ever borders your homes, is it possible to erect anything to deflect the noise?

My fence is already at the legal height and there used to be trees at the back, but they don't take care of the trees any better than they take care of the dogs. Trees are dead and gone.
No I should not have to pay cash on my end, but we all know how it is when dealing with red neck idiots.
Will try to find proper speaker setup and let you all know how it turns out later.
May take me a month or so.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Slip the dogs a laxative...they will be too busy to bark! :biggrin:
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

I would be tempted to get a recording of a barking dog (not their dogs but a good quality sound) and play it just after you see their lights go out and they’ve gone to bed. Or if you want to get their dogs going, play a recording of dogs baying or wolves howling. Most dogs can’t help but sing along. Late at night, bedtime, their dogs will be barking inside the house.

With technology these days you can probably get something rigged up that you can play remotely aimed right at their house without them knowing which neighbour is behind it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Maybe you could rent a coyote ;-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”