Diabetic cat

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Diabetic cat

Post by Tootsie »

I know a lot of people with diabetic cats use the pen system but just wondering if anyone is using the other way - by drawing the insulin out of a 10 ml bottle with the BD Ultrafine insulin needles ?

Also, anyone have a diabetic cat that eats ProPlan DM Dietetic Management feline formula (dry bagged food) or Royal Canin canned diabetic wet food in the little 85 g cans ?

Please PM me.
Last edited by Tootsie on Jan 14th, 2017, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Diabetic cat

Post by Tootsie »

Thank you for the private messages I received. Perhaps I should have been more clear about why I wanted to know if anyone was using the above.

We lost our beloved cat today. He was very sick and had to leave us - amazingly enough not from the diabetes. He had other issues going on.

My main reason is we know what a financial drain having a diabetic can be. It costs a lot of money for insulin, special food,etc.

So, If I can help anyone even for just a short while, I would like to donate the rest of our supplies to someone who is feeling this financial pinch. If not, I will contact the SPCA or another organization. If anyone is interested in my offer please feel free to PM me.

On a side note. We had a home euthanization. I would highly recommend this. It was very peaceful and so much less stress for all involved - most importantly our little buddy. After having been on both sides of the coin (taking the pet into the office versus home euthanization) we would NEVER EVER go back to an office visit. For the relatively small difference in price it was so much worth it. A lot of vets offer this service but many don't know it's an option. It truly is worth it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Diabetic cat

Post by Queen K »

Awww Tootsie, I am so sorry for your fubaby loss. I understand what you went through as we did it for our dear Hannah.

Hugs to you, I hope someone can use your kind offer to donate the items. It is a costly and emotionally taxing venture to care for a diabetic kitty. Not everyone can do it.

Hugs.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Sorry for your loss. It's never easy.

May I ask though, what did they do with your cat after the process? Take him away?

I'd be interested in this, but not sure if it's worth it just to watch them cart away my dead pup
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

fvkasm2x wrote:Sorry for your loss. It's never easy.

May I ask though, what did they do with your cat after the process? Take him away?

I'd be interested in this, but not sure if it's worth it just to watch them cart away my dead pup

if the OP used who I think she did, it's done discreetly. I've never used the service, have many friends that have and say nothing but wonderful things about her.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

To answer your question ... we had opted for a private cremation for our furbaby as we have done with the others. So we just wrapped him gently in his favorite blanket & they took him away to transfer to the place they do the cremations (I believe in Oyama). We will retrieve his ashes from TriLake Animal Hospital in the next week. Maybe this isn't everyone's choice but it was ours. I'm sure if it was your choice to do a burial they would leave your pet with you.

Again I must say the option of having this most difficult decision was made a lot less stressful for all of us...most importantly our little guy. We have in the past taken our pets into the office and after stressful car rides, waiting in a sterile examination room, having our pets be exposed to strange smells & noises at the worst time of their life I will NEVER EVER EVER do that again. This experience was basically a night and day experience. I cannot stress how much more peaceful and quiet it was which it made it so much easier for all of us. My advice when you're faced with that ultimate decision - have it done at home. It is well worth the bit of extra money in every way.

My offer still stands by the way - if anyone can use the diabetic cat food (I have virtually a full bag of dry and some cans of wet) plus almost a full bottle Lantus please don't be shy...let me know. I would love to donate it to someone who could use it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I've got a friend who works in a vet office, maybe she knows someone, will that be okay?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

It is one of the most stressful, emotional and just plain bad moments in the lives of those who have to make the decision and then the arrangements and then the aftermath and somewhere in the middle of it all, breathe.

Have been there too many times. It doesn't get easier. In fact, it gets harder.

Diane is great and she offers a wonderful service that I agree, should be considered.

Sorry for your loss.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

One thing is helping me personally is that we put all our furbaby photos together and use them as a screensaver that changes photos every 10 minutes, so I see them in the gardens, playing together and sleeping in their various spots. Hannah, Chopin, Tay and Maestro are all buried here too.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

QueenK...yes please PM me. I wouldn't want to put your friend in any conflict of interest. I just really want to help someone as I know how sometimes, as much as we do everything to help our pets, these expenses can take their toll financially.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just so people know, the person I thought would need the diabetic cat food hasn't got any one to pass it on to.

So PM Tootsie to see if it's still available please.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”