First bite

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

First bite

Post by flamingfingers »

My daughter's dog - I have known him for at least 4 years - a Lab-Pyrenees cross she got from the SPCA when he was 5 or 6 has been the most gentle dog one could imagine. My grandkids at 4 and 5 could lay on him, pull back his lips to examine his teeth, play with his tail, play chase with him without any sign of impatience from the dog. After many off leash times with other dogs, people on bikes, hikers, kids, etc on this trail, with no issues, he all of a sudden bit a guy on a bike, drawing blood. Just one bite and the dog walked away - no barking, growling or trying to bite again. Apparently no one else actually saw what happened - my daughter and her friend - also with an unleashed dog were well back when it happened and apparently the incident was so quick that no one else took notice.

My immediate reaction of course is to put the dog down. My second thoughts were that the dog could never be trusted again and needed to be muzzled and on leash forever more.

More distantly I am wondering if the biker startled the dog or happened to run into him and the dog reactively bit.

Hm.....
Chill
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: First bite

Post by Fancy »

Dogs can bite - they have teeth - and they are animals. People are the ones that say "my dog would never bite" etc etc. Of course they can under certain circumstances. Some dogs are more prone to this behaviour than others. Guard dogs, inbred dogs, little dogs that think they are bigger etc. etc. I look at it as I can't predict anyone's behaviour because I don't read minds. I can't read a dog's mind either so I'm very protective of them so I don't let kids maul them and don't take chances no matter what the breed and temperament. Dogs don't necessarily indicate they are about to bite - no growling, no raising of hairs on the back of the neck, they still have a wagging tail which does not mean a happy dog. Sad when a dog feels the need to bite - that's a no win situation.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's obviously the bike riders fault and he should be put down! :smt045
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

there is something with dogs and bikes, for whatever reason. On my bike I have been bitten 2 times, by two different dogs.

It is operators error, not the dogs fault. I don't remember of it drew blood or not. (might have, I get a bit battered up when I am biking.)
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Bsuds wrote:It's obviously the bike riders fault and he should be put down! :smt045

I never really thought you were so silly!
Chill
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Putting the dog down for an incident such as the one you describe would be unnecessary and harsh given the animals history.

It should however give you reason to pay a bit more attention too it moving forward to ensure that there isn't something psychologically different due to age or illness that may mean making decsisions regarding treatment or other options.

Years ago, my family had a golden retriever that we rescued from the mean streets. He didn't even bark for months let alone act aggressively toward anyone.

Several years later, we were building a home and for some unusual reason, he took an instant dislike to the general contractor. Whenever this guy was on site, we had to make sure Leo was somewhere else or the guy couldn't get out of his car. every time he saw him but only him. None of the workers had any issues with him.

Then a bit later, we were camping in the mountains and while out walking with him, we came across a truck/camper parked along side the road and there was a guy cleaning some fish he had just caught so we struck up a conversation. The back door of the camper opened and this guys fishing buddy stepped out and again, Leo senese something and lunged at the guy.

we were concerned that he was maybe turning a bit but these turned out to be isolated incidents and had more to do with the people involved than the dogs temperament.

Dogs are great judges of character so who knows what your dog sensed in this biker. You will never know but what you do know is that he has the capability so as a matter of course, be diligent in your handling of him and understand that it may happen again but not necessarily because he decided to be a bad asss all of a sudden.

Sounds like a pretty good boy too me.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

My grandkids at 4 and 5 could lay on him, pull back his lips to examine his teeth, play with his tail, play chase with him without any sign of impatience from the dog

I have to make the point about this for anyone who has a dog or spends any time around dogs. This kind of indifference to animals that we think we know is what can lead to grizzly headlines because of indifference and complacency.

Dogs are wonderful animals. I have had them all of my life without interruption. But down inside, underneath all that fur, they are still animals and any of them, big or small can suddenly and without warning decide that enough is enough and lash out with a mouth full of teeth and a sudden bad attitude.

Love them and take care of them but always be aware of the potential ESPECIALLY AROUND KIDS!!!!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

For the record, if a kid, any kid pulls my lips back to look at my teeth? They are gonna get a hurt, real bad.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

Keep him on a leash and pay attention especially in areas the do not have off-leash designation. Bikers fault or not the dog was not under control so if the biker decides to pursue matters your daughters' kind of up the creek.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Damn. What a sad situation. I hope the authorities consider everything, and the dog is not harmed. Leashes can save lives.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

flamingfingers wrote:My daughter's dog - I have known him for at least 4 years - a Lab-Pyrenees cross she got from the SPCA when he was 5 or 6 has been the most gentle dog one could imagine. My grandkids at 4 and 5 could lay on him, pull back his lips to examine his teeth, play with his tail, play chase with him without any sign of impatience from the dog. After many off leash times with other dogs, people on bikes, hikers, kids, etc on this trail, with no issues, he all of a sudden bit a guy on a bike, drawing blood. Just one bite and the dog walked away - no barking, growling or trying to bite again. Apparently no one else actually saw what happened - my daughter and her friend - also with an unleashed dog were well back when it happened and apparently the incident was so quick that no one else took notice.

My immediate reaction of course is to put the dog down. My second thoughts were that the dog could never be trusted again and needed to be muzzled and on leash forever more.

More distantly I am wondering if the biker startled the dog or happened to run into him and the dog reactively bit.

Hm.....

Obviously we can't let dogs bite people, but to think about putting the dog down, if the history of the dog is true, would be really extreme. Sounds like some anomalous one-off in this case. It's now up to the owner to make sure it never happens again.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Years ago we had 2 dogs that were in a dog run when we were at work. One was a Husky cross we got from the SPCA and who we thought wouldn't hurt a fly. One day while we had them out he nipped at a neighbour kid. Just a nip on the butt.

We were ready to put him down till another neighbour told us they saw him poking at the dogs through the fence with a hockey stick! The dog was getting even. lol

The kid was told to stay away from our house and all was well after.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I had a Malinois who hated bikes . Anything that moved she hated . Should have been a cop dog that girl
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

mexi cali wrote:This kind of indifference to animals that we think we know is what can lead to grizzly headlines....

I can imagine the headlines....."Chihuahua turns into the grizzly from The Revenant".

That would turn out to be grisly indeed.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
You and 71 others Like this post
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

flamingfingers wrote:

Hm.....

What? No way do you put the dog down.

If he's never shown signs of aggression, you can work with him.

It's scary to me that was your immediate reaction. Based on the info given, my first reaction is that this guy kicked out at him or did something to spook the dog.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”