47395
49893

Animal Cruelty Must stop

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.

Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby Nedroj » Dec 29th, 2017, 8:02 am

Here we go, another "gofundme" plea from these bleeding heart people. Do you really think a billboard with a puppy next to a pig is going to deter anyone? They have about the same chance of getting me and to stop eating meat as the JW's have to convert me from being an atheist to their bogus religion. Here is a tip for those 5 vegans, take that money that you raise and go out and buy as many chickens, cows and pigs as you can and raise them on your vegan farm. As that is about as much good you'll do and the money will be better spent than on a stupid billboard that no one cares about.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius

2 people like this post.
Nedroj
 
Posts: 31
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 37 posts
Joined: Apr 10th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby JayByrd » Dec 29th, 2017, 8:56 am

The billboard does seem to have gotten your attention.

The purpose of the billboard is to make people think about their choices. Actually choosing to avoid animal products would come some time after that, if at all.

And since you mentioned the Jehovah's Witnesses, the reason they go door to door isn't to "convert", it's a form of outreach. They know they won't bring everyone they talk to into the faith, but if someone doesn't, it won't be because no one ever reached out to them. In the end, we're all still free to live and believe how we choose.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
JayByrd
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2951
Likes: 539 posts
Liked in: 1076 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby Fancy » Dec 29th, 2017, 9:15 am

I'm assuming this has to do with this letter:
Kelowna Vegan Advocates has launched a new billboard campaign to make Kelowna area residents think about why they love some animals (dogs, cats) yet eat other animals (pigs, cows, chickens, turkeys). We are encouraging our community to consider veganism as a way to prevent extreme animal cruelty, and as a way to improve personal health and protect the environment.

Kelowna Vegan Advocates is a group of five concerned vegan women who contributed to and raised funds for a billboard through a GoFundMe account. Our intention is to continue our vegan advertising campaign to raise awareness about the cruelty of animal agriculture. We appreciate any donations, small or large, made to our GoFundMe account: https://www.gofundme.com/kelownaveganadcampaign

"More than a dozen undercover investigations into Canada's meat, egg, and dairy farms and slaughterhouses have revealed extreme cruelty to animals. The best way for Canadians to prevent animal abuse is to simply leave animals off their plate and switch to a compassionate, healthy vegan diet.”

Learn more at Mercy for Animals.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#214725

People eat dogs in other parts of the world and keep pigs as pets. Animal abuse will continue despite any billboard and it's up to those that witness any cruelty to help in prosecuting the individuals responsible.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Tony likes this post.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43959
Likes: 1030 posts
Liked in: 5239 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby lightspeed » Dec 29th, 2017, 10:34 am

Fancy wrote:I'm assuming this has to do with this letter:
Kelowna Vegan Advocates has launched a new billboard campaign to make Kelowna area residents think about why they love some animals (dogs, cats) yet eat other animals (pigs, cows, chickens, turkeys). We are encouraging our community to consider veganism as a way to prevent extreme animal cruelty, and as a way to improve personal health and protect the environment.

Kelowna Vegan Advocates is a group of five concerned vegan women who contributed to and raised funds for a billboard through a GoFundMe account. Our intention is to continue our vegan advertising campaign to raise awareness about the cruelty of animal agriculture. We appreciate any donations, small or large, made to our GoFundMe account: https://www.gofundme.com/kelownaveganadcampaign

"More than a dozen undercover investigations into Canada's meat, egg, and dairy farms and slaughterhouses have revealed extreme cruelty to animals. The best way for Canadians to prevent animal abuse is to simply leave animals off their plate and switch to a compassionate, healthy vegan diet.”

Learn more at Mercy for Animals.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#214725

People eat dogs in other parts of the world and keep pigs as pets. Animal abuse will continue despite any billboard and it's up to those that witness any cruelty to help in prosecuting the individuals responsible.


And if we or our governments cared enough we'd ban Chinese products and/or stop purchasing them.

But we don't. Because consumers need more cheap crap and businesses need more cheap labour.

Ho Hum...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychee_ ... t_Festival
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"
User avatar
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2547
Likes: 4039 posts
Liked in: 1995 posts
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am
Location: Vulgaria

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby ShannonG » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:08 am

Why would this particular billboard cause such a strong reaction from you? You didn't have to pay for it . It's not graphic/disturbing to look at. The people who contributed to the gofundme did so of their own volition.
For the record, Canada's new food guide is not going to feature dairy at all and put heavy emphasis on plant based protein sources, so eating less (or no) animal products is the way the future is looking.

tleee likes this post.
ShannonG
Fledgling
 
Posts: 245
Likes: 38 posts
Liked in: 323 posts
Joined: Mar 29th, 2006, 1:04 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby MyPointofView » Dec 29th, 2017, 11:47 am

The truth of the matter is that animal byproducts are used across the board in our consumption driven society. None of these animals die of old age. To go after meat eaters specifically is at best uninformed and at worst totally hypocritical. This is not to condone cruelty to any animal but before you start throwing stones make sure you don’t live in a glass house......just saying :up:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.busines ... cts-2014-3

common_sense_guy likes this post.
User avatar
MyPointofView
 
Posts: 32
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 46 posts
Joined: May 22nd, 2012, 5:20 pm

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby Grandan » Dec 29th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Nedroj wrote:Here we go, another "gofundme" plea from these bleeding heart people. Do you really think a billboard with a puppy next to a pig is going to deter anyone? They have about the same chance of getting me and to stop eating meat as the JW's have to convert me from being an atheist to their bogus religion. Here is a tip for those 5 vegans, take that money that you raise and go out and buy as many chickens, cows and pigs as you can and raise them on your vegan farm. As that is about as much good you'll do and the money will be better spent than on a stupid billboard that no one cares about.


I would like to think if you had to kill your own pigs,chickens and other meats before you ate them you may think differently.
When meat is sold in sanitized packets it is hard to relate to it's origin.

It is a known fact that in ancient times some people were so starved for nourishment that they drank the blood of their livestock to stay alive.

It is a known fact that people who live near the sea and eat fish have better teeth than others.

Eat what you want but be aware that what is in some meats may kill you.

Eating organic beef raised on the range does not prevent heart desease despite it's lack of antibiotics and growth horemones.
Waste not

2 people like this post.
Grandan
Übergod
 
Posts: 1544
Likes: 83 posts
Liked in: 630 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2007, 3:05 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby abraham » Dec 29th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Humans being eating tasty bloody flesh from the bones of animals from the beginning of time! There is nothing more satisfying then having a steak that's so rare on my plate, that when I'm finished gobbling it up,I soak up that bloody gravy with my lightly buttered dinner roll! If you choose to be vegan that's your prerogative but why on earth create a go find me page for a billboard comparing cats and dogs to chickens pigs and cows! Time to find some more constructive things to do with your time! Or better yet instead of wasting your money on a billboard, why not donate to the food bank!
abraham
 
Posts: 3
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Feb 26th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby Piecemaker » Dec 29th, 2017, 1:26 pm

The issue for many isn't so much the use of animal products and the consumption of meat, it is the maltreatment of animals to meet those demands.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

tleee likes this post.
User avatar
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11458
Likes: 1954 posts
Liked in: 1498 posts
Joined: Jun 6th, 2007, 7:43 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby Scrobins94 » Dec 29th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Don't agree? Don't fund it, simple as that.

tleee likes this post.
Scrobins94
 
Posts: 95
Likes: 138 posts
Liked in: 64 posts
Joined: Jan 15th, 2017, 4:42 am

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby Osoyoos_Familyof4 » Dec 29th, 2017, 1:59 pm

I eat meat, I take no issue with the sign.

I am pro-choice, and I had no issue with the last anti-abortion controversial sign in the same location.

I do understand why anti-animal-product folks are offended by animal-users, but I'm not sure why animal-users care if others take offense?

Maybe we're just offended by their offence, which is kinda fun!

tleee likes this post.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister
 
Posts: 517
Likes: 241 posts
Liked in: 484 posts
Joined: Nov 26th, 2013, 11:15 am

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby voice of reason » Dec 29th, 2017, 2:06 pm

i take issue with the signs in general.they look like garbage.i dont care what is on it. jimmy pattison and the indians are littering our valley with these ugly looking signs that are straight out of 1975. the ones who are not rented out have layers of old adverts peeling off of them and look like crap.the signs themselves should have been done away with years ago

4 people like this post.
voice of reason
Board Meister
 
Posts: 653
Likes: 2091 posts
Liked in: 644 posts
Joined: Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby the truth » Dec 29th, 2017, 2:12 pm

yup...
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13118
Likes: 7943 posts
Liked in: 4697 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby Ka-El » Dec 29th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Kelowna Vegan Advocates has launched a new billboard campaign to make Kelowna area residents think about why they love some animals (dogs, cats) yet eat other animals (pigs, cows, chickens, turkeys).

Pigs and chickens taste good. Ever try eating a dog?
research shows right-wingers tend to be less intelligent than left-wingers, and people with low
childhood intelligence that tend to grow up to be conservative with racist and homophobic views
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3895
Likes: 1903 posts
Liked in: 3112 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 8:19 am

Re: Animal Cruelty Must stop

Postby Nedroj » Dec 29th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Grandan wrote:
I would like to think if you had to kill your own pigs,chickens and other meats before you ate them you may think differently.
When meat is sold in sanitized packets it is hard to relate to it's origin.

It is a known fact that in ancient times some people were so starved for nourishment that they drank the blood of their livestock to stay alive.

It is a known fact that people who live near the sea and eat fish have better teeth than others.

Eat what you want but be aware that what is in some meats may kill you.

Eating organic beef raised on the range does not prevent heart desease despite it's lack of antibiotics and growth horemones.


Actually I have, what is your point? I was raised on a large farm up north in FSJ. We would regularly slaughter the animals we raised and hunted/fished as well as drink milk basically straight from the cow with the cream scrapped off. I learned at a very young age where our food comes from so before you go saying complete BS just remember you live in CANADA where hunting and fishing is VERY normal. In fact I've shot, gutted and carved many animals for my consumption. Pigs, cows, sheep, deer, moose, elk, bear, grouse, duck and chickens. Never tried cougar before though, maybe that'll be the next I hunt, kill and eat. The hunter that shot that cougar in alberta made some tasty looking stir fry with it. You've never tried pepperoni till you've try deer pepperoni!
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius

Sparki55 likes this post.
Nedroj
 
Posts: 31
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 37 posts
Joined: Apr 10th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Next

Return to The Pet Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest