Trupanion Pet Insurance

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
June45

Trupanion Pet Insurance

Post by June45 »

Hi I am considering signing up for pet insurance for my new pup. I have read mixed reviews on Trupanion which is the provider recommended by my vet. I am looking for some local reviews. Has anyone had any experiences with Trupanion, good or bad?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Trupanion Pet Insurance

Post by Bsuds »

We considered that when we first got our dog and figured that if we put the same amount in a Bank account we would be better off in the long run.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

I just posted the two above posts in case you did not know this info.
If you are unable to have access to a larger amount of money right away,
like with a credit card,then Trupanion might be the way to go.
If you are able to use a credit card and then when you send in your claim
you will probably be reimbursed within 3 weeks.

Trupanion pays 90% directly to the vet but does not pay the exam fees or taxes
and I'm not sure what else.
Some other plans pay 80% but the money comes out of your pocket,
you send in a claim and then you wait to be reimbursed.
Look into all the details of all the plans and you'll see how different they are.
So basically its what will work for you and what you expect to receive for your pets ins.

I can't stress enough, look into the fine print of what they cover and not
because the little pamphlet's you see on these plans do not tell you the whole story.

Trupanion also has a per condition deductable which could be pricey if your
pet has numerous issues/conditions whereas other plans have a one time
deduction once a year which as your pet ages will go up slightly.

My pets are on pet secure ins.
I am not sure what would be best.
You have a lot of homework.
I'm curious, what age, sex and type of dog do you have
and what does Trupanion want to charge you monthly?
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Bsuds wrote:We considered that when we first got our dog and figured that if we put the same amount in a Bank account we would be better off in the long run.

This may or may not work out though.
If there was an accident and an operation was needed before you
have any $$$$'s accrued then your stuck.
Or if a chronic lifetime condition occurred then your stuck.
That is one reason its important to have ins before some
condition comes up because then that condition would be exempt
on any ins you try to get after that.
Its a tough call which is better.
Overall I am glad I have the ins, it has been well used.
June45

Post by June45 »

Thanks so much, Lore, for this info. I know I have a lot of homework to do
In response to your questions we have a male golden retriever 11 weeks old, named Arthur. This is our 6th dog and 2nd retriever. I never had insurance before but our last retriever had cancer which was an expensive and painful lesson for us so I thought we should look at insurance for this one.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

June45 wrote:Thanks so much, Lore, for this info. I know I have a lot of homework to do
In response to your questions we have a male golden retriever 11 weeks old, named Arthur. This is our 6th dog and 2nd retriever. I never had insurance before but our last retriever had cancer which was an expensive and painful lesson for us so I thought we should look at insurance for this one.

Awwwwwwww,I think that's my favorite breed.
Cancer is actually very common in golden retriever's I've heard
so pet ins. is probably a good idea.
When I have time this weekend I want to look something up
so I'll get back to you on that.
Meanwhile, enjoy that cute puppy.
Awwwwwwww.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I just got a quote on Truepanions website. We would have spent over $12k for insurance according to our dog's age if we had been paying since we got her. That's with a $200 deductible. For $0 deductible it would have been over $20K.

So far we have spent $10-11K. ($4k in the last month)

About $6k of that was for a knee operation a few years ago and recently she has been diagnosed with stage 2 kidney failure.

My point being is at best we have saved some without insurance and at worst so far have broken even.

As with any insurance it'a a flip of the coin. If your pet is prone to problems then it's a good thing for you to have it.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
June45

Post by June45 »

As mentioned I have never bothered with insurance. My dogs and cats have all lived long healthy lives with the only cost being annual checkups and inoculations except for our last dog which was upwards of $3500 and we still lost the dog, heartbreaking. I read Trupanion charges 20% increases per year which seemed pretty high to me. However I haven't actually received a quote from them so perhaps what I am reading isn't the true story. I am really on the fence with this.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

I finally got around to looking up what I was going to.
I know someone who has a golden retriever who at about 1 yr old
got a torn acl. The cost to fix was 7500.00.
About a year later the other leg got a torn acl.
So another 7500.00.
If you are still considering pet ins you should see if
the ins company covers this and also consider how
much ins you need for your pet.
Vets are expensive.
Kybran

Post by Kybran »

Be careful with pet secure. I had insurance on my pup since she was 8 weeks old she is now 3. She has had a c section and a torn ACL as well as a few bladder and ear infections over the course of her life. After the ACL surgery I got a letter stating they were uping my rates as well cutting me back 2500 $ from $5000. Per incident cause of too many claims. I appealed there decision but it mad no difference. So be careful who you pick cause if you have a dog that by chance has a few health issues you will be cut back in your policy.
echo 1

Post by echo 1 »

June45 wrote:Hi I am considering signing up for pet insurance for my new pup. I have read mixed reviews on Trupanion which is the provider recommended by my vet. I am looking for some local reviews. Has anyone had any experiences with Trupanion, good or bad?

I have Trupanion for my dogs and they have been AMAZING. Do you own research and decide what works for your family. In the past 18 months they have covered almost 9 THOUSAND dollars in vet bills for Raven. She had a fractured tooth, ate her bed a couple of times and had her knee done. The other knee will require surgery soon too. There are several insurance companies, do your research and pick the one right for you! I love that I don't pay upfront and wait for a refund. Even if you have to choose a higher deductible to have lower monthly premiums do it! Some companies have an annual deductible, some it's per incident. Do your research and get it while they are young......before anything pre-existing
CEB

Post by CEB »

Pet Insurance can be pricey. Trupanion rates their cost based on where you live and the average cost of services provided in that area. So, if you’re lucky and live in an area that Vets keep their prices fairly low you might be cheaper than other areas.

I almost thought about going the Bank savings account route with Pup #3 but the reality is that I don’t want to have the factor of thinking about pulling $7k out of any bank account when I need to make an emergency decision, like we recently needed to with Pup #2. During #2s emergency we didn’t even think about the cost, although the Vet did need to mention it. We went ahead with the exploratory surgery knowing it would cost us but not fully. The outcome was unsuccessful (poor old beautiful pup) but at least I know we did everything we could and money wasn’t a decider but also wouldn’t be something we had to come up with, thus making it an even worse experience. The bank thing only works well if you’re very good at saving and no claims actually happen until you have lots of money in the account so aren’t coming up with cash as well.

Trupanion has been remarkable to work with and I’ve never had then flinch at the bills. After having an Epileptic Dog that wasn’t on Insurance and then a Dog that seemed to love getting things in her ears and paws and then eventually a new hip, I can’t imagine not having insurance for a loved one.

I always will remember the old owner of Tri-lake telling me I’d be amazed how many people would put their Dog down, or not treat it at all, because of a $400 bill.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

^^ That is so sad. Everyone has a different limit depending on what the problem is. The majority of pets have issues at some time in their life and people should be educated that such expenses will happen. My bird was at tri-lake intensive care for a week with no improvement, getting worse from a condition that is normally fatal, 0.1% chance of a good outcome. Suffering in a strange place. Getting daily calls that her condition is getting worse, I brought her home, cuddled her, and she passed away within a day. $3000 for 6 days.

Is there coverage for birds/exotics in Canada? I didn't think twice of spending that money even though I can't afford it.

https://www.pcinsurance.ca/m/english/pet-insurance/pet/?open=coverage

I just sent these guys an e-mail to see if they cover exotics.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”