47395

Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby WalterWhite » Nov 13th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
- and that’s fine. But why no service or representation whatsoever at the actual cenotaph where many others choose to pay respect to those that served?

Why does there have to be a service at the Cenotaph? The official service was announced at a location that was advertised. Those who wanted to pay their respects could have just as easily gone to the publicly announced service?

Perhaps, they were expecting everyone to go to the official service and not the Cenotaph?

As for the OPs title - Vernonite's can go to their cenotaph anytime they want.


Because many people believe in attending the official memorial cenotaph, including a number of veterans - you know, the one's this day is about - who simply feel attending the cenotaph for Remembrance Day is the proper manner to honor their comrades. Totally understand the comfort factor for those unable to attend an outdoor service - but why abandon the official memorial, rather than having both? Many other communities do the same. Veterans and citizen's alike that attended are simply voicing their opinion (another little item those that fought gave the ultimate sacrifice for) that they're disappointed with the lack of organized representation at the official memorial cenotaph. Why is that such a difficult thing for some to understand?
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1162
Likes: 905 posts
Liked in: 1246 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby MAPearce » Nov 13th, 2017, 5:38 pm

As for the OPs title - Vernonite's can go to their cenotaph anytime they want.


Yeah .... They can , but why bother if the "dignitaries" and officials would rather not ??

More than sad ...

For shame.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10173
Likes: 1215 posts
Liked in: 3172 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby Verum » Nov 13th, 2017, 5:44 pm

MAPearce wrote:
As for the OPs title - Vernonite's can go to their cenotaph anytime they want.


Yeah .... They can , but why bother if the "dignitaries" and officials would rather not ??

More than sad ...

For shame.

So, it's only worth going if the dignitaries and officials are there? Doesn't sound as if this is about remembering those who sacrificed for you to me but more about being with the dignitaries and officials.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Fledgling
 
Posts: 340
Likes: 173 posts
Liked in: 267 posts
Joined: Oct 5th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby Dizzy1 » Nov 13th, 2017, 10:08 pm

WalterWhite wrote:
Because many people believe in attending the official memorial cenotaph, including a number of veterans - you know, the one's this day is about - who simply feel attending the cenotaph for Remembrance Day is the proper manner to honor their comrades. Totally understand the comfort factor for those unable to attend an outdoor service - but why abandon the official memorial, rather than having both? Many other communities do the same. Veterans and citizen's alike that attended are simply voicing their opinion (another little item those that fought gave the ultimate sacrifice for) that they're disappointed with the lack of organized representation at the official memorial cenotaph. Why is that such a difficult thing for some to understand?

Yet a number of Veterans requested the services be moved indoors.

Sorry, but an official service is a service to me - regardless of the location. Businesses that ask for a moment's silence during shopping hours and everyone simply stopping what they're doing and respecting the moment speaks volume's more than debating if a service should be here or there.

The whole purpose of Remembrance Day is to remember - remember those who have given their lives and those who have lost friends and family - so we can honour them. It doesn't matter where we do that, all that matters is that we and our elected officials honour these people are given the opportunity to do such - the location is nothing more than a subjective banter.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Piecemaker likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10132
Likes: 3975 posts
Liked in: 4448 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby Fancy » Nov 14th, 2017, 6:29 am

Seems a shame that so many are putting down the service held at Kal Tire Place - hardly respectful.
Another big crowd is expected for Vernon’s Remembrance Day ceremony this Saturday at Kal Tire Place.

Doug Ross, the City’s Recreation Services Director, says it’s the largest attended event in the building, with several thousand the last few years.

“The City of Vernon donates the facility each year for this event, and then the Legion takes care of putting on the ceremony itself,” says Ross.

http://www.1075kiss.com/2017/11/07/reme ... y-service/
The Legion put it on - did no one approach them?

https://www.legionbcyukon.ca/remembranc ... y-ceremony

The service has been held in the same location for quite some time. In 2012 it was called Wesbild Centre.
I know of quite a few elderly that wouldn't be able to attend if they can't sit or if it's too cold. And I think too that's why the ceremony was held inside so more could attend that wanted to be there.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43083
Likes: 936 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby techrtr » Nov 14th, 2017, 7:37 am

Seriously? That's pretty pathetic. Vernon seems to be going to hell - maybe that has a lot to do with the people running the city. Voters take heed.
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 758
Likes: 56 posts
Liked in: 650 posts
Joined: Jul 5th, 2005, 6:47 am

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby Fancy » Nov 14th, 2017, 7:48 am

techrtr wrote:Seriously? That's pretty pathetic. Vernon seems to be going to hell - maybe that has a lot to do with the people running the city. Voters take heed.

The heading to the topic is wrong. What does the people running the city have to do with it - they didn't plan it. And what's pathetic about veterans and elderly wanting to be inside? It's been at least 6 years since the service has been held at another location. Plenty of time for anyone that wants a ceremony held at the Cenotaph to arrange it for the few that attend.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43083
Likes: 936 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby bob vernon » Nov 14th, 2017, 8:32 am

In recent years, the respect by the public for our war dead and wounded has grown. The sincerity of the Remembrance Day service isn't affected by the location of the service.

And to try to use the location of the Remembrance Day service as an election issue is pathetic.

3 people like this post.
bob vernon
Übergod
 
Posts: 1814
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 901 posts
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 9:37 am

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby WalterWhite » Nov 14th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Fancy wrote:Seems a shame that so many are putting down the service held at Kal Tire Place - hardly respectful.
Another big crowd is expected for Vernon’s Remembrance Day ceremony this Saturday at Kal Tire Place.

Doug Ross, the City’s Recreation Services Director, says it’s the largest attended event in the building, with several thousand the last few years.

“The City of Vernon donates the facility each year for this event, and then the Legion takes care of putting on the ceremony itself,” says Ross.

http://www.1075kiss.com/2017/11/07/reme ... y-service/
The Legion put it on - did no one approach them?

https://www.legionbcyukon.ca/remembranc ... y-ceremony

The service has been held in the same location for quite some time. In 2012 it was called Wesbild Centre.
I know of quite a few elderly that wouldn't be able to attend if they can't sit or if it's too cold. And I think too that's why the ceremony was held inside so more could attend that wanted to be there.


You're twisting that out of context. No one's "putting down the service held at Kal Tire Place". It's the lack of official service at the official memorial, being the cenotaph that is the issue - and is an issue with local veterans.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1162
Likes: 905 posts
Liked in: 1246 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby Fancy » Nov 14th, 2017, 12:15 pm

WalterWhite wrote:You're twisting that out of context.

I am not twisting it out of context and I disagree with your
No one's "putting down the service held at Kal Tire Place".

This doesn't sound like respect to me:
TreeGuy wrote:Bringing it indoors to create a warm comfortable place for people to drink their Starbucks, take selfies and then share on FB to show how much they sacrificed.

nor does this:
WalterWhite wrote:Let's honor them by sitting in a nice cushy arena for an hour because, well, it's a little chilly out today. Disgusting City of Vernon. Again - shame on you.

nor this:
slimebucket wrote:Anyone who complains about having to be outside in the cold in remembrance day IN MY OPINION is a greedy selfish person who is only doing the event to be social and do what others are doing AND NOT TO REMEMBER THE DEAD.


What about the thousands that showed their respect and attended and those that showed up because of the change in venue they can?
Last edited by Fancy on Nov 14th, 2017, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43083
Likes: 936 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby Fancy » Nov 14th, 2017, 12:30 pm

WalterWhite wrote: It's the lack of official service at the official memorial, being the cenotaph that is the issue - and is an issue with local veterans.

It would seem the majority ruled on how to proceed years ago with accommodating as many as they could and that includes the veterans. They can't all stand for long periods of time as everyone well knows or should.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43083
Likes: 936 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby WalterWhite » Nov 14th, 2017, 1:37 pm

bob vernon wrote:In recent years, the respect by the public for our war dead and wounded has grown. The sincerity of the Remembrance Day service isn't affected by the location of the service.

And to try to use the location of the Remembrance Day service as an election issue is pathetic.


I for one am not dismissing the sincerity of the arena service - simply the lack of an official service at the official memorial still attended by many, including veterans. It most certainly should not be inferred as an election issue, however some, myself included, feel some onus is on the city of Vernon to see services at the cenotaph itself are inclusive on Remembrance day also.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1162
Likes: 905 posts
Liked in: 1246 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby WalterWhite » Nov 14th, 2017, 1:39 pm

So you've never made a tongue in cheek comment to get your point across? Didn't think so. There's an official memorial cenotaph for a reason, and it should be honored on the one significant day of the year set aside to do so.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1162
Likes: 905 posts
Liked in: 1246 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby Fancy » Nov 14th, 2017, 1:48 pm

WalterWhite wrote:So you've never made a tongue in cheek comment to get your point across? Didn't think so.

Irrelevant and untrue. You don't speak for all the remarks made against the service held at the Kal Tire Place which is in poor taste.
WalterWhite wrote:There's an official memorial cenotaph for a reason, and it should be honored on the one significant day of the year set aside to do so.
Yes there is a cenotaph for a reason and if the few people there would like it honoured more than it was they are free to organize what they wish. The majority felt otherwise and the minority knows that.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43083
Likes: 936 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Veronites can't go to their Cenotaph ?

Postby Fancy » Nov 14th, 2017, 1:49 pm

WalterWhite wrote:It most certainly should not be inferred as an election issue, however some, myself included, feel some onus is on the city of Vernon to see services at the cenotaph itself are inclusive on Remembrance day also.
Why is the onus on the city when they didn't organize it? You want the Legion to give that up?
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43083
Likes: 936 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to North Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests