You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

RHRR

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember....

Post by RHRR »

What about the old A&W Drive Thru on 32nd and the old Fruit Union Building
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

RHRR wrote:What about the old A&W Drive Thru on 32nd and the old Fruit Union Building

Don't remember THAT one, but there was the one at the North end of town, on 27th. Became an auto dealership. It was a "drive in" diner.
RHRR

Post by RHRR »

My bad. I was a little kid when the A&W Drive in Diner was there so I knew it was there just missed where hehehe
BTDT
Fledgling

Post by BTDT »

The Spud Nut Shop!
Suicide Hill!!
The Old Museum that used to be the Vernon Fire Hall.
Finding old Mortar bombs near Goose Lake!!
BTDT
Fledgling

Post by BTDT »

Clarence Fulton Jr High School in Polson Park.
Mr. Fulton - the chemistry teacher!!!!.
chrisv
Fledgling

Post by chrisv »

.....being approached in a mall parking lot by a guy who's wife was in an accident in Calgary and he just needs two dollars to purchase a bus ticket to go see her. Its been two years since the first time he asked me, and he still aparently hasnt gotten the ticket
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

chrisv wrote:.....being approached in a mall parking lot by a guy who's wife was in an accident in Calgary and he just needs two dollars to purchase a bus ticket to go see her. Its been two years since the first time he asked me, and he still aparently hasnt gotten the ticket

:dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

Haven't seen him in a while. Same guy, same story, different details, what city he's from, etc. Funny thing was, he flagged me in a parking lot in VANCOUVER with the same kind of sob story, then two days later in the Wholesale club HERE, same story different details......

It's tempting with someone like that..... TAKE THEM TO THE DEPOT, and PAY FOR THE TICKET, and make sure he gets on and stays on.
fundyfisherman

Post by fundyfisherman »

I lived in Vernon 8 months and i have to say it was a friendly city .

The eagles club was very friendly wonderfull people .
You are right up there with St Johns ,Newfoundland in my opinion for Canada's friendliest city .
Capttheriault

Post by Capttheriault »

ventured wrote:
chrisv wrote:.....being approached in a mall parking lot by a guy who's wife was in an accident in Calgary and he just needs two dollars to purchase a bus ticket to go see her. Its been two years since the first time he asked me, and he still aparently hasnt gotten the ticket

:dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

Haven't seen him in a while. Same guy, same story, different details, what city he's from, etc. Funny thing was, he flagged me in a parking lot in VANCOUVER with the same kind of sob story, then two days later in the Wholesale club HERE, same story different details......

It's tempting with someone like that..... TAKE THEM TO THE DEPOT, and PAY FOR THE TICKET, and make sure he gets on and stays on.

I guess alot of cities have the same problem , I was recently approached by a woman in a differnt city ,(she's know for this stuff). She was dragging a child of about 6 with her ,asking for money to get the child something to eat. I told her ,we 'd go to the restuarant ,just down the street and I'd buy the kid anything on the menu , in which just so happened to be the best restuarant in town. Though I wasn't giving her money directly for cigerettes or goodness knows what ,,she refused and walked away ,,I felt sorry for the kid in that he was stuck with this woman ,,but it's a cruel world?
Your story just reminded me of this .
cybergal
Board Meister

Post by cybergal »

How about the waterslide park at Swan Lake? My younger brother had a lot of fun there growing up.
ks57

Post by ks57 »

Wow, thanks for the memories.
I am born and raised here. :ohmygod: Still here.
Does anyone remember the North-End Drive-in. It was a cool soda shop on the corner by the tracks at 31st and 43rd Ave?
Now, this is going Way, Way back. There used to be underground tunnels of a P.O.W. camp where Seaton school is. And the United Church used to be on the opposite corner. AT one time we called 27st Church street because of all the churches along there.
I attended Fulton in the park.
And how about suicide hill. I remember coming down there, what fun.... :nyah:
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

ks57 wrote:Wow, thanks for the memories.
Does anyone remember the North-End Drive-in. It was a cool soda shop on the corner by the tracks at 31st and 43rd Ave?
Now, this is going Way, Way back. There used to be underground tunnels of a P.O.W. camp where Seaton school is. And the United Church used to be on the opposite corner. AT one time we called 27st Church street because of all the churches along there.

I remember when they put the speed bumps on it, and all that did was give the kids flying down it better air-time.

Ummmm, wasn't the United Church on 27th by the Court House? Were the shopping complex is now.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

ventured wrote:
ks57 wrote:Wow, thanks for the memories.

I remember when they put the speed bumps on it, and all that did was give the kids flying down it better air-time.

Ummmm, wasn't the United Church on 27th by the Court House? Were the shopping complex is now.

Yup. I also remember getting some good air on suicide hill. Of course that was before landing and bottoming out before hitting the next bump. Yeeehawwww.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Of course, there were always the parties up Bench Row Rd.
There was always a pickup truck with HUGE speakers in the box blasting Led Zep.
Anyone remember the dead cow up in the pit?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Sleeping nude and then spending the day nude at a small beach area below the railway tracks that still run beside Kalamalka Lake. I only lived there for one summer (1980?) but it was a hot summer and a lot of fun. Until then I had never realized how many beautiful girls lived around there (sigh).

p.s. got a pretty good tan that summer :127:

Return to “North Okanagan”