You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by Fritzthecat »

superbee wrote:
Does anyone remember when the little girl, I think their daughter, disappeared one day? They searched and searched, and she was found way up the hill, too far everyone thought for a little tyke to go.

Similar thing happened in Houston BC many years ago. Two little boys walk intot he bush to "hunt moose". They were so far up they were throwing rocks down at the helicopters ( I guess this made sense to little boys.)
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

gotaway wrote:Image

across the street from the theatre

So I was telling a lady I know about this thread today and what did she do??? Pulls out her 1949 VHS (Vernon High School) grad book!!! It had quite a few ads in it like this. Then she showed me her Vernon book that had lots of photos and aerials as far back as 1908 !! She almost collapsed when I told her how many of the old buildings had been bulldozed, she moved away in the late 50's but is going with a friend one weekend to see the old homestead. Wonder if she'll find it?
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

I hope she has better luck than me. One home is now under Burger King, we were married at Curves, and had our reception under a paved parking lot. And I think the glass plant is now a big empty building? Things have sure changed at my old spots in 40 years.

I also have a big book of Vernon photos down through the years and Vernon sure had alot of beautiful old buildings and beautiful old homes too. Just wiped away. One that broke my heart was the Vernon Lodge house. It was just gorgeous.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

superbee wrote:I hope she has better luck than me. One home is now under Burger King, we were married at Curves, and had our reception under a paved parking lot. And I think the glass plant is now a big empty building? Things have sure changed at my old spots in 40 years.

I also have a big book of Vernon photos down through the years and Vernon sure had alot of beautiful old buildings and beautiful old homes too. Just wiped away. One that broke my heart was the Vernon Lodge house. It was just gorgeous.

National Hotel. What a waste! We could've had a wonderful jewel in downtown but no, we tear down a perfectly good historical building to put up another generic pub wanna-be night club. How sad. Vernon has lost its identity.

The glass plant? Don't even get me started on that one. I was there for damn near 13 years right up to the end.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

zookeeper wrote:
So I was telling a lady I know about this thread today and what did she do??? Pulls out her 1949 VHS (Vernon High School) grad book!!! It had quite a few ads in it like this. Then she showed me her Vernon book that had lots of photos and aerials as far back as 1908 !! She almost collapsed when I told her how many of the old buildings had been bulldozed, she moved away in the late 50's but is going with a friend one weekend to see the old homestead. Wonder if she'll find it?

It’s wrong to say “Vernon” demolishes its buildings. I do believe the building owner has sole right to give the okay for demolition or retrofit. If I were the owner of “The National”, Kalamalka Hotel or “Vernon Lodge” and it wasn’t feasible to retrofit the aged structures, I’d demolish them too. The owners of the aforementioned buildings saw prosperity and went ahead with change.

The National and Kalamalka were in their glory between 1900- 1910. Photos show drastic changes to the Kal in 1930. So back then you can irresponsibly say “Vernon demolishes everything.”

The identity I get whenever thinking of “The National” is drunks, blitzed bikers and strippers. Sure, the structure was elegant but it looked like it hadn’t received maintenance since the 1950s. It was a tinderbox with unsavory tenants. Ditto for the Kal. I recall the National had one or more floors permanently condemned due to structure failure. Too dangerous for occupancy.

The owner of the beautiful “Allison Hotel” felt his lovely structure was so nice that he set fire to it ! What’s that say?

It’s humorous to me to think someone would be so shocked as to almost collaspe from thinking a city has changed over the past 40 years.

I very much miss old Vernon. However, I feel the city has never looked as nice as it does now.
Last edited by CR250R40 on Jun 6th, 2012, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

CR250R40 wrote:
It’s humorous to me to think someone would be so shocked as to almost collaspe from thinking a city has changed over the past 40 years.

I very much miss old Vernon. However, I feel the city has never looked as nice as it does now.

She is old. It wasn't collapsing in grief over change, the pin-prick in to the nostalgia just let a little air out. I left a lot later than her and have a lot of memories, which I have enjoyed reminiscing about here. Progress, I've seen quite a few towns change over the years. One day I need to come and see your "beautiful" Vernon and see the changes for myself, an afternoon in Polson Park will top the list! Can anyone direct me to the old water reservoirs on East Hill? I don't remember them.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Do you mean the water reservoir at the top of 39th Avenue, left hand side? They covered it over a few years ago.

There is, or was, what looked like a very old cement foundation up on Black Rock. Just the old cement walls. I think there was an old date pressed into the cement. I was told it was the first reservoir, but I wondered even back then. Where did the water come from? Was there a spring on Black Rock long ago?
mikedoherty

Post by mikedoherty »

Bill Roth, :ohmygod: Great people, Paddington Station. 1980s, Morning coffee meeting's :bethecoffee: , and great lunches. I can't remember,(sometimers afflicted) and want to know the old crowd, and where they are now. The window washer, Mike. Denise, Miss Blond ManJack,(waitresses).many have passed thourgh, but I have forgotten. The mike burger(batter coated bacon, with cheeze, on a Bun), with or with-out egg" I invented. I even made a painting of an old train station for Bill.
It would be great to see some of these people again.
Bill's daughter :ohmygod: , I wish I could remember her name.

Nastalgia, gota love it
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

superbee wrote:Do you mean the water reservoir at the top of 39th Avenue, left hand side? They covered it over a few years ago.

There is, or was, what looked like a very old cement foundation up on Black Rock. Just the old cement walls. I think there was an old date pressed into the cement. I was told it was the first reservoir, but I wondered even back then. Where did the water come from? Was there a spring on Black Rock long ago?

By this lady's description, I would say Black Rock. She is telling me her old homestead was near the reservoir on East Hill and I said Black Rock. If someone has an old map, sure would like to know what old Pine St. is now. I tried to find it but no such luck. I think she said there was a big vegatable farm in behind them, Oriental? She is not a 'nutter nor a 'netter, I would love to be of assistance for when she goes back to look, heck, maybe I'll join her! :sunshine:
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

zookeeper wrote:By this lady's description, I would say Black Rock. She is telling me her old homestead was near the reservoir on East Hill and I said Black Rock. If someone has an old map, sure would like to know what old Pine St. is now. I tried to find it but no such luck. I think she said there was a big vegatable farm in behind them, Oriental? She is not a 'nutter nor a 'netter, I would love to be of assistance for when she goes back to look, heck, maybe I'll join her! :sunshine:

Pine Street was 39th Avenue (I recall.)
They resevoirs on 39th are filled in? Huh.
The old one is still on Black Rock with the pipes exposed near the back. We used to try and turn the water on when we were kids.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Fritzthecat wrote:Pine Street was 39th Avenue (I recall.)
They resevoirs on 39th are filled in? Huh.
The old one is still on Black Rock with the pipes exposed near the back. We used to try and turn the water on when we were kids.

Thanks Fritz !! :D So to pin point a little closer, about what cross street (in today's map) would the filled in reservoirs have been at? I could google map out the area for her. If I can't go, she can tell me a story or two when she gets back!
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Superbee said they covered it over not filled it in. There are reservoirs on the north side of 39th Ave above Cascade Dr that have been covered. I'm not sure when this was done but do believe it probably happened in response to terrorist threats in the last ten or twelve years. Don't laugh, this happened all over!
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

danmartin wrote:Superbee said they covered it over not filled it in. There are reservoirs on the north side of 39th Ave above Cascade Dr that have been covered. I'm not sure when this was done but do believe it probably happened in response to terrorist threats in the last ten or twelve years. Don't laugh, this happened all over!

It's called McMechan Reservoir located parallel to Mutrie Road, access off 39th Ave. Superbee's correct. It's covered, not filled in. McMechan Reservoir went from an open system to a whole new reservoir design. Upgrades worth 1 million to the triple reservoir started in 2005. In 2007 Vernon received 42.9 million to further upgrade Vernon reservoirs and water facilities.

I too recall the original Black Rock concrete holding tank and wood flume. Even back in the early 1970s you could still walk Grey Canal water aqueduct [Preceded DIV] that perimeter the Vernon hillsides. Parts of Grey Canal still exist as hiking paths.
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

Photos of the Rec Centre from 1972-1973. The High Dive Board seemed so high to this then 8-year-old kid. Back then swimmers could access the outdoor patio to sunbathe in summer, or in winter roll in fluffy snow then jump back in pool water -- the temp feeling 100 degrees! The parking lot was all gravel. Priest Valley Arena wasn't built yet. You can see Centennial Outdoor Rink was large. Its western side kissed the edge of the hillside.

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

The Dairy Queen building is one of the highest buildings at this time!

Return to “North Okanagan”