You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by rvrepairnut »

Verminator wrote:While I was taking a walk near there yesterday, it occurred to me that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't recall what used to occupy the fenced-off vacant lot at the corner of 27th St and 43rd Ave next door to Pizza Hut. I've lived here a long time so I should know this, was it a gas station? Anyone remember why it was torn down? The lot's been vacant for a long time.

originally it was Gordies cheveron ( started 40 years or more ago)owned and operated by Gordon Stark.Then cheveron tore it all down and started a self serve center.Gordie ran it for a few years and then lost the contract to run it.It was then Run by another person for a few years till about (memory here now) 15 years ago.Then it shut down because of leaking Tanks.Story I heard was it would cost more to get a BC (PURE BS) safe soil clearance than the property will ever be worth and hence there it sits
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

This post is not a strictly "Vernon" post per se, but I'm posting this link because this CNFB Film was shown to Harwood School students around 1972 or 1973. Perhaps it was shown yearly. It was shown to my class in 1972 -- I was in grade 2. The short film is called "Paddle To The Sea." It's premise: a whittled canoe follows mountain creeks and rivers to the sea. A Canadian Film Board presentation.

This film brought back many school memories.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/paddle_to_the_sea
Barbara Kew

Post by Barbara Kew »

The Sutherland Arms Hotel was just north of what is now Paddlewheel Park in Okanagan Landing.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Barbara Kew wrote:The Sutherland Arms Hotel was just north of what is now Paddlewheel Park in Okanagan Landing.

so that was its name before lakeside motor Inn/golden spike niteclub ????????????
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Maybe one of you long time Vernon residents can help me.

As a youngster my parents would take us as family to Chinese restaurant in Vernon. The only I remember besides the food being delicious was it was on 34th St between 28th Ave & 30th Ave.
It was near where NOCA plant was, just trying to remember the name.

Time frame mid 70's
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

GordonH wrote:Maybe one of you long time Vernon residents can help me.

As a youngster my parents would take us as family to Chinese restaurant in Vernon. The only I remember besides the food being delicious was it was on 34th St between 28th Ave & 30th Ave.

Time frame mid 70's

Sounds like the old chinatown area. I remember three restaurants. Lotus Gardens, Hong Kong Village and Goon Hong's.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
jinglebell

Post by jinglebell »

does anyone remember the big swan lake fstand fire of 1993 ....
jinglebell

Post by jinglebell »

when atlantis waterslide first opened ...place was so cool
Barbara Kew

Post by Barbara Kew »

rvrepairnut wrote:so that was its name before lakeside motor Inn/golden spike niteclub ????????????

The Lakeside Hotel and The Nightclub were later developments.
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

Sounds like the old chinatown area. I remember three restaurants. Lotus Gardens, Hong Kong Village and Goon Hong's.[/quote]

The fourth one was Canton inn, on the same side of the street as Hong Kong village. I remember going to the Rainbow room night club, in the basement of goon hong. I Amy or may not have been legal age, but that didn't seem to matter:)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Maybe one of you long time Vernon residents can help me.

Time frame mid 70's

gardengirl wrote:Sounds like the old chinatown area. I remember three restaurants. Lotus Gardens, Hong Kong Village and Goon Hong's.

Lotus Gardens that's it, I could not remember that. Thank-you gardengirl
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Now theres a place I forgot about ... The Rainbow Room. Wasn't it run by a gentleman by the name of George Yamada? What ever happened to George? Then I think the place became a disco did it not? There was the Vernon lodge disco and the rainbow ... Yup it was the 70s wasn't it?
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

I think george worked for a time at sigalet bros. the guy that owned canton inn was gengis loo,he had a son named dickie. Also, Johnny Low had a delivery driver of Japanese descent named jJack,but I can't remember his last name. Nice man though.
Barbara Kew

Post by Barbara Kew »

http://greatstorieslegend.blogspot.ca/2 ... y.html?m=1

HO! HO! HO! Enjoy and Seasons Greetinsgs!!!
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Isn't/wasn't George Yamada a Realtor? Married Eldeen Seymour, a lovely gal I went to school with? Even though Goon Hong was a Chinese restaurant, they made good French fries. I went to the Rainbow Room a couple of times when they had a live band playing and it was fun. The Vernon Lodge had the Disco Inn and the Allison Hotel had the Aloha Terrace.

Return to “North Okanagan”