You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

superbee
Fledgling

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by superbee »

VSS on 15th Street opened in September 1968. I was in grade 12, and the first graduating class was June 1969. VSS was very nice, and then, oh my, it started to crack...and crack...and crack. The wrong design for pure clay, Pottery Road being a very short distance away!

What part of Vernon did your friend live in? She must have gone to Fulton Senior High in Polson Park. Vernon has changed tremendously since your friend lived there. The Museum has lots of photos of old Vernon and a big hardcover book of old Vernon photos.

There is still a water reservoir up near the top of 39th Avenue (behind Black Rock) which was domed over a few years ago. Up until then, it was open, and had a chain link fence around it, like a huge swimming pool. Were there any other reservoirs in Vernon, besides that one and up at Dixon Dam?

Same here, we never ate out at all until we were teenagers. When our friends got jobs at cafes and burger places of course we went there. We ate alot of burgers and fries, and drank alot of pop and shakes, but we were on foot alot, went to dances every weekend, so we burned it all off. I hope you have a wonderful picnic in Polson Park!
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

superbee wrote:I could sure go for some Boogie's fries and gravy right about now!!! LOL!

What Vernon Chinese place these days has the best food, preferably a buffet (smorg)?

Superbee, more than any other food I find "Chinese food" compares to art -– personal preference. Ask ten people where the best Chinese food is you’ll receive nine different answers.

My personal favorite Chinese food place this day and age is “Golden Crown.” No buffet, though.

Up until 2009, “Lavington Family Restaurant” had Chinese food I would crawl to have. Pat and Gail were masters at Chinese food. Ownership changed. No more Pat and Gail Chinese food at Lavington Family Restaurant. [Pout]

Back in the day “Lotus Gardens” met my taste buds. The food was exceptional, as was the atmosphere. All four walls and booth trimmings had colorful 3D-like Chinese dragons and mythical serpentine creatures. The vibrant jukebox was large and played often. Even in the mid 1970s Lotus Gardens’ atmosphere and design was 1950s. Every time I entered Lotus Gardens I thought of American Graffiti.

Northend Drive-in had awesome fries, hotdogs and burgers, etc. Haven’t tasted onion rings as delectable since. I lived two blocks away on 29th street, so as wandering 11-year-old kids we’d order food to take home. Home orders were placed in cardboard flats. By the time home arrived the cardboard absorbed grease from the food, turning parts of beige cardboard dark. A sign of yummy food.

Those who enjoyed food from the “Odeon Drive-in Theatre” experienced the same greasy cardboard flat when bringing tasty concession food back to vehicles. Damn their burgers and fries rocked. I have fond memories of both fast food joints.

Gosh I'm hungry............
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

superbee wrote:
What part of Vernon did your friend live in? She must have gone to Fulton Senior High in Polson Park. Vernon has changed tremendously since your friend lived there. The Museum has lots of photos of old Vernon and a big hardcover book of old Vernon photos.

She has a lot of Vernon books including her high school annual. She was sorry to see that big beautiful school in the park torn down, so she graduated from Fulton, but the name on the school at that time was Centennial.
Her Mom worked at Bulmans, and both her parents are buried in Pleasant Valley, that, she said, is the best kept cemetery she has ever seen.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

CR, when I think about the Northend's fries and the drive-in's burgers I get hungry. You're right about the onion rings, they were great, and you were so lucky to live close to Boogie's. I have burgers frying right now. Sadly, I know no matter what I do, they won't be as yummy as the Skyway drive-in!

I did not know of the Lavington Family Restaurant. Where did the Pat and Gail go? Did they open another restaurant or cook at any other local one? A shame that we missed them when we came to Vernon.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

For those of you that miss authentic drive-in food, you can go to Nakusp and have lunch at the Hut Drive In. Closest thing to a time machine I've ever experienced.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
SS Chevellle

Post by SS Chevellle »

Waddy's Family Restaurant - "1985 - 2012"
'gone but not forgotten....'
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

SS Chevellle wrote:Waddy's Family Restaurant - "1985 - 2012"
'gone but not forgotten....'

1985???
SS Chevellle

Post by SS Chevellle »

OK, my mistke it was 1984....

Here's the link to the storyhttp://www.vernonmorningstar.com/business/168061876.html
gotaway

Post by gotaway »

Found this today , can't remember if its been posted before .

I heard it on the x.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Oh my, does this ever bring back memories!! Sure looks different around there now, doesn't it??
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Wow, where's the city? And dig that dirt parking lot...sorry, bad pun... :runforlife:

Speaking of digging, I just dug this one out of the family archives, AKA the shoebox, and it's kinda like that too - where's the city?? This shot was taken just days after we moved here from Alberta in 1974. My mother-in-law, my wife and my baby daughter are walking along 27th Avenue, near where the Allenby Way intersection is today. It was a quiet little country road back then, IIRC the only business in the area was the Corner Grocery Store. I seem to remember cattle being raised in the fields where Vernon Mini-Storage and The Landing Plaza are now. It's hard to believe Vernon was ever that quaint...
Attachments
27th Avenue in 1974
27th Avenue in 1974
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Isn't it unreal to look back on these photos, and it's only 40 or 50 years? Thank you for sharing your photo.

Vernon seemed to 'take off'' in the early '70's. The glass plant had been built and 3 shifts were going full tilt. The Village Green Hotel was built, and the Village Green Mall across the highway. And the Polson Park Mall went in too. More and more people moved in. More and more traffic. When I come back to Vernon I barely recognize it. I can't believe the traffic in Vernon now, so much, and everyone in a big rush.

I was thinking back to Empire Meats today, while watching the news on tv of the contaminated Alberta beef. We wonder now where to buy a safe steak or some safe burger. We never worried back then, when we drove to Empire Meats for some cuts of beef.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

superbee wrote:Isn't it unreal to look back on these photos, and it's only 40 or 50 years? Thank you for sharing your photo.

Vernon seemed to 'take off'' in the early '70's. The glass plant had been built and 3 shifts were going full tilt. The Village Green Hotel was built, and the Village Green Mall across the highway. And the Polson Park Mall went in too. More and more people moved in. More and more traffic. When I come back to Vernon I barely recognize it. I can't believe the traffic in Vernon now, so much, and everyone in a big rush.

I was thinking back to Empire Meats today, while watching the news on tv of the contaminated Alberta beef. We wonder now where to buy a safe steak or some safe burger. We never worried back then, when we drove to Empire Meats for some cuts of beef.

Funny I was back in town the other day and drove down where Empire used t be. Remember Mrs. Beck? Wasn't she a lovely person? The place always smelled so good. I particular remember the large rack of stamps they had. Fascinated me.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
ryanosik

gita leather

Post by ryanosik »

the lady that bought the leather saddle purse in the 70's. the mid seventies i lived in the area also and frequented the gita
leather store. very unique. i bought a calf skin blazer which i still have. wore it probably 2 or 3 times. was afraid to wear it and never in the rain. beautiful garment, and craftsmanship superb. just wondered what happened to the store.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

That is me, and I am still using that purse, and it has been what, 40 years now?? I have used it for so long, I'm afraid if I changed purses, I would probably lose any another. And my Gita Leather purse is just fine still, so why not use it? Great craftmanship is right.

I also wonder what happened to Gita Leather! When I bought my purse, Gita was located on the street behind what is now the Towne Theatre. Back then I heard the Gita Leather folks were a group of hippie-type gals and guys who lived out on the West Side Road somewhere in a commune. I don't know if that is true. I do know they did beautiful and long-lasting leatherwork. I have a lovely golden suede fringed vest that I think came from Gita, as well as a wellworn but still nice deerskin jacket.

Anyone know who the Gita Leather people were, and whatever happened to the store Gita Leather? Your beautiful and unique leatherwork lives on!!

Return to “North Okanagan”