You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

CR250R40
Fledgling

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by CR250R40 »

zookeeper wrote:Thanks so much CR!!! :D Just as serene as I remember it (Japanese garden)! Is that St James Church in the last photo? My parents got married there. Does that Catholic school across the street still operate?

Yes, St. James Catholic School still operates where you last saw it. Not much with it has changed -- same colour, no additions.

zookeeper wrote:CR, I remember there used to be a look out stand where you could climb the stairs on to a little platform to view the clock, do they no longer have it?

The floral clock platform still exists. The photo of the 2011 floral clock with exposed black chair was taken from parking lot level beside the platform, hence why perimeter chain is in the shot. The 2005 floral clock shot was taken high atop the platform.

The grandstand hasn't been rebuilt yet.. if it ever will be? Not sure what will replace it. Temp change rooms were brought in.
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

superbee wrote:The heavy black chain that is in one of the Floral Clock photos sure looks like the heavy black chain that used to surround Cenotaph Park back in the '60's. Several people have wondered over the years whatever happened to that heavy black chain, and maybe someone at City Works must have heard, and dug it out?

When that chain was around Cenotaph Park you could not sit on it, or the police driving by would stop and order you off. And forget about ever walking in Cenotaph Park, we were told by our elders it was a sacred place and keep out, and we did. How shameful it was turned into a place for awful things. Maybe they should have left that chain up and ordered the creeps off, the same as they did us kids?

I could be wrong, if so please correct me, but I believe Cenotaph Park has less vagrants laying in it these days. Patrons from the National/Kal would sleep off their stupor in the park. Cenotaph corner has cleaned up nicely. Whenever I pass by Cenotaph [Last week even] the park was free of anything negative. Hope the park remains respected.
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

CR250R40 wrote:Sorry - ya got me. It sounds familiar but I just cannot place it. Was it near the old "Coldstream Hotel/RJ's Chicken and Ribs" area?

Fritzthecat wrote:Nope.
Closer to west part of town.

No clue. My memory fades by the day. For some reason I picture "striped yellow and white" colours for Chicken Delight. Dang, this is making me crave fried chicken.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

CR250R40 wrote:No clue. My memory fades by the day. For some reason I picture "striped yellow and white" colours for Chicken Delight. Dang, this is making me crave fried chicken.

You're thinking Brownies Fried Chicken at the south end of town across from the old A&W Drive In. Oh that was some good chicken! Used to make great fish and chips too. I cried when they closed down around 1999/2000!

Chicken Delight was right next to where Teeter-Totter Toys is now, behind Eatons. As I recall it wasn't very good.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

CR250R40 wrote: Dang, this is making me crave fried chicken.

Me too :dyinglaughing: might just have to whip some up this weekend!

CR250R40 wrote: Patrons from the National/Kal would sleep off their stupor in the park.

and the Coldstream, does it still operate? What was the name of the bar across from the National (so kitty corner from the Kal)? It burnt down quite a few years ago.
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

CR250R40 wrote:No clue. My memory fades by the day. For some reason I picture "striped yellow and white" colours for Chicken Delight. Dang, this is making me crave fried chicken.

You're thinking Brownies Fried Chicken at the south end of town across from the old A&W Drive In. Oh that was some good chicken! Used to make great fish and chips too. I cried when they closed down around 1999/2000!

Fritzthecat wrote:Chicken Delight was right next to where Teeter-Totter Toys is now, behind Eatons. As I recall it wasn't very good.

Uh, yes.. beside old Eatons. You stumped me. I must say my memory for Vernon is greater when it comes to my formative years 1973-1983.

As for Brownies, you and I both miss that delight -- they made a mean bird. In 1976, I received a complimentary plastic Brownies root beer mug, wishing I still had the souvenir. Never had Fish and Chips there. Wish I had now. I pass the old Brownies building daily and think of Brownies every darn time.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Zookeeper, I can tell you that the Coldstream is long gone, it, and the lovely horse mural on its south wall. We had our wedding reception in the basement banquet room many, many moons ago. The last time I was by there it is just a parking lot.

I believe you mean the Allison Hotel there across from the National. It burned down a long time ago, I was working 4-12 at the glass plant. We were given the news by the crew coming in for the graveyard shift, so we joined the crowd near the Kal, watching the Allison go up in flames. I think there is a funny story on here about the guy who supposedly set the fire. There was a plywood fence around the hole in the ground for a real long time.

A question--why have the nite clubs, in the building built in the Allison's old spot, never lasted very long?
gotaway

Post by gotaway »

zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

superbee wrote:Zookeeper, I can tell you that the Coldstream is long gone, it, and the lovely horse mural on its south wall.

Wow, bulldozed or what?

superbee wrote:I believe you mean the Allison Hotel there across from the National. It burned down a long time ago,...... the Allison go up in flames. I think there is a funny story on here about the guy who supposedly set the fire.

Ah yes the Allison, I heard the story too, something about keys, pants.....

superbee wrote:A question--why have the nite clubs, in the building built in the Allison's old spot, never lasted very long?

Probably like the new singers, around one day, gone the next. Not like the "oldies and goodies" !!! :banana: :smt020
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

So now got to thinking about churches, wasn't there a big beautiful stone church across the street from MacDonald park (43rd and 27th)? It's like a strip mall there now, maybe I read back in the posts a while, but what happened to that?
gotaway

Post by gotaway »

across the street from the theatre
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

zookeeper wrote:So now got to thinking about churches, wasn't there a big beautiful stone church across the street from MacDonald park (43rd and 27th)? It's like a strip mall there now, maybe I read back in the posts a while, but what happened to that?

Bulldozed in 1986 or 87? Vernon's first Burger King went up there along with Crazy Mikes Video and a Mac's convenience store with gas pumps. I see that Macs is re-opening a store there 20 years after the last one closed.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

gotaway wrote:Image

across the street from the theatre

Nice additions to the thread. Where did you come across these two ads?
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

It's sad that the horse mural on the side of the Coldstream Hotel came down, but times change. Every summer new depictions show up all over Vernon. The military/Nurse theme is appropriate -- next to Cenotaph Park. Beautiful works of art.

gotaway

Post by gotaway »

Return to “North Okanagan”