You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Sugarlake

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by Sugarlake »

Many thanks to both. I'll give it another go soon.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

I'm a young pup, only 27. I do remember Vernon in the early 90's, man has it changed. I loved reading through the post yes all 72 pages and seeing how Vernon has changed over the years. I wish i could of grown up when times were simpler, when Vernon was a small humble local town. I have heard stories from my dad about suicide hill, One involves a kid attempting to take a modified bike of some sorts down and well failing horribly. My grandpa used to own the house on the corner near the civic arena (forget exact address), until he bought the farm on bella vista (still there). I do wish i could do mainers, have a drag race, jump suicide hill (always wanted to do that lol). I do remember being a young pup driving past the sewage plant (90's) thinking where's all the kids at the water park lol. Lets keep this going, i want to hear more great stories or pictures of vernon. Anyone else have any more pictures o the skyview drive in?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

TheBoss wrote:I'm a young pup, only 27. I do remember Vernon in the early 90's, man has it changed. I loved reading through the post yes all 72 pages and seeing how Vernon has changed over the years. I wish i could of grown up when times were simpler, when Vernon was a small humble local town. I have heard stories from my dad about suicide hill, One involves a kid attempting to take a modified bike of some sorts down and well failing horribly. My grandpa used to own the house on the corner near the civic arena (forget exact address), until he bought the farm on bella vista (still there). I do wish i could do mainers, have a drag race, jump suicide hill (always wanted to do that lol). I do remember being a young pup driving past the sewage plant (90's) thinking where's all the kids at the water park lol. Lets keep this going, i want to hear more great stories or pictures of vernon. Anyone else have any more pictures o the skyview drive in?

Nice post. Yup, there were some fun times to be had. It's too bad that this bubble wrap society we now live in had to ruin everything. Some of the stuff we did was a bit naughty, but most of it was pretty innocent fun. Nobody got shot or stabbed at parties. It was all pretty white bread compared to what goes on now.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Vernon was a wonderful place to grow up. I wish we could take you back and pull some mainers, have some fries at the North End, a milkshake at The Dip, and a wonderful burger at the Skyway Drive In! I don't know if it is still there, but at the Carrington care home 7 years ago, there was a big room with a fireplace, where the old north entry door near the elevator used to come in from the parking area. I know there is a new section, and people come and go through there now. But in this big room in the older section near the elevator, there is a fireplace, and above the fireplace there is a lovely, big, black and white photo of the old Skyway and area taken from the air. Why not go to Carrington, and ask them for a tour to see it? Maybe you can take a photo with your phone? Carrington care home is built on the west side of the old Skyway drive in property.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

I might have posted this 79 pages ago...

The Tastee Freeze on 30th, behind the high school...my mom and dad owned it back when I was born...October 6, 1967 at Vernon Jubilee Hospital

My son was also born there on October 13, 1998
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

superbee wrote:Vernon was a wonderful place to grow up. I wish we could take you back and pull some mainers, have some fries at the North End, a milkshake at The Dip, and a wonderful burger at the Skyway Drive In! I don't know if it is still there, but at the Carrington care home 7 years ago, there was a big room with a fireplace, where the old north entry door near the elevator used to come in from the parking area. I know there is a new section, and people come and go through there now. But in this big room in the older section near the elevator, there is a fireplace, and above the fireplace there is a lovely, big, black and white photo of the old Skyway and area taken from the air. Why not go to Carrington, and ask them for a tour to see it? Maybe you can take a photo with your phone? Carrington care home is built on the west side of the old Skyway drive in property.

I'll have to check out carrington one day and see that old picture. At the court house they have an old painting of vernon, showing justice park, the old gas station and part of downtown, the painting is located in the.. I forgot what the name of the area lol.
The museum probably have some old pictures of the drive in, i know i found some of the old tillicum race way their. Does anyone know more about the old graveyard on alexis? I know i asked about it at the museum, all they knew was that kids from the college came and did a project on it and relocated the graveyard to pleasant valley.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ on page 70 of this thread is street view of the screen of the drive-in
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

TheBoss wrote:
I'll have to check out carrington one day and see that old picture. At the court house they have an old painting of vernon, showing justice park, the old gas station and part of downtown, the painting is located in the.. I forgot what the name of the area lol.
The museum probably have some old pictures of the drive in, i know i found some of the old tillicum race way their. Does anyone know more about the old graveyard on alexis? I know i asked about it at the museum, all they knew was that kids from the college came and did a project on it and relocated the graveyard to pleasant valley.

I think you're probably referring to the old cemetery on 35 Ave just west of Alexis Park Dr.? I'm not sure what the procedure is in transferring a cemetery, especially a very old one. I know they didn't move the headstones far as they are incorporated in the retaining wall on the east side of the park where the cemetery was.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

danmartin wrote:I think you're probably referring to the old cemetery on 35 Ave just west of Alexis Park Dr.? I'm not sure what the procedure is in transferring a cemetery, especially a very old one. I know they didn't move the headstones far as they are incorporated in the retaining wall on the east side of the park where the cemetery was.

yeah that's the one, checked it out years ago read a few of the old head stones, kinda creepy, kinda cool lol. i remember the women at the museum saying it was moved some time in the 60's maybe earlier. if anyone has any info on it would be awesome.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Wow, I just found some astonishing dashcam-style films of various highway routes in BC including the Okanagan taken almost fifty years ago, in the summer of '66. I haven't been able to find an explanation for these but judging by the instruments at the bottom of the frame the films look like they were probably taken by some sort of government survey team.

Since this is a Vernon thread I've linked to a clip that takes you from Kelowna through Vernon and towards Armstrong along highway 97. It's hard to believe Vernon ever looked this way, but there it is in all it's old-timey glory.

PS - These are fast-forward clips and can't be slowed on an Android device AFAIK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRvEaeTZhss
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

getting your a$$es beat by the Penticton Vees....
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Ahhh ... wasn't it the Penticton Knights?
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Sure! Panthers too!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

1961–63 Penticton Junior Vees
1964–75 Penticton Broncos
1975–79 Penticton Vees
1979–90 Penticton Knights
1990–2004 Penticton Panthers
2004–present Penticton Vees
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

just saw the video posted of the drive from kelowna to vernon. I hardly recognize any landmarks, besides when you're closer to vernon. Crazy just to see how much hospital hill has changed, looks better in the past (more trees). Now somebody needs to slow down the video, and on google maps mark out the old landmarks in vernon. In the video the car travels down 32nd st, then takes a right to get out of vernon, i know someone posted saying 43rd? was the old route to get out of vernon.

Return to “North Okanagan”