You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by GordonH »

Looking at video just south of kelowna airport turn off is a building. Here is that building using google street https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.946525,- ... JWqTAg!2e0

So few places are still around

Found what is needed to slowdown the video enable HTML5 player. https://www.youtube.com/html5
Then click on gear on youtube
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Did the next best thing and just hit the space bar for almost frame by frame lol. Showed my dad the video, he could tell what was what. All the way from kelowna airport through vernon and out. Brought back alot of memories for him. He does miss the old vernon alot. Crazy on how many gas stations use to be in vernon.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

The thing that really strikes me about this video is how completely unrecognizable so much of 32nd Street is. Take a look at that leafy little residential section with it's white picket fences just before the 43rd Ave turn-off! I know it's been almost 50 years but you'd think SOMETHING would be left. Sigh.....

BTW, does anyone know what that building at 3:36 in the video right across from the old Vernon Fruit Union is? It looks like it's either being torn down or maybe it was damaged in a fire.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Verminator wrote:BTW, does anyone know what that building at 3:36 in the video right across from the old Vernon Fruit Union is? It looks like it's either being torn down or maybe it was damaged in a fire.

From what I can tell it looks like it was being removed. If memory serves me on that side of 97 was where NOCA plant (North Okanagan Creamery Association) was.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BCGrrrrl

Post by BCGrrrrl »

I so clearly remember doing that drive at 60mph and just loving it. Then along came the metric system and I scared the heck out of myself when I looked down and saw 110 (km). Thanks for posting the video.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

[quote="GordonH"][quote="Verminator"]
BTW, does anyone know what that building at 3:36 in the video right across from the old Vernon Fruit Union is? It looks like it's either being torn down or maybe it was damaged in a fire.

From what I can tell it looks like it was being removed. If memory serves me on that side of 97 was where NOCA plant (North Okanagan Creamery Association) was.

You would be correct, my dad said the same thing, although thought it was still open in the 60's?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

TheBoss wrote:You would be correct, my dad said the same thing, although thought it was still open in the 60's?

NOCA was expanding operations (when film was taking) thats why building was being removed. NOCA was bought out by Dairyland in late 70's maybe very early 80's. What I remember not terrible long after that the plant was shutdown & removed (few years if that).
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

GordonH wrote:
NOCA was expanding operations (when film was taking) thats why building was being removed. NOCA was bought out by Dairyland in late 70's maybe very early 80's. What I remember not terrible long after that the plant was shutdown & removed (few years if that).

A couple old pictures of noca and shuswap dairy
I did find this http://www.oldphotos.ca/archivos/record ... 2136961524
And this http://www.oldphotos.ca/archivos/record ... =433253314

I do remember their being a warehouse of some sort there in the early 90's, memory is kinda faded because i was so young. I think mid 90's they finally tore it down and put up the wholesale club can't really remember was too busy being a kid lol.

I gotta find some info on noca, dad said same thing, bought out by dairyland, building was used then abandoned, then wholesale club.
Down town looks so alien in this picture, would of loved if they kept the old clock town down town.
http://www.oldphotos.ca/archivos/record ... =811052683

I love this picture, vernon looks so calm and peaceful, somebody needs to overlap vernon today with this
http://www.oldphotos.ca/archivos/record ... =133865854

Also one thing i learned after watching that old video and my dad telling me is that the old highway runs where the look out is, old kamloops rd was the only way to kamloops. He said something about 27th having the most churches, he can't exactly remember but might of been 9 or 10 ay one point in time.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Last piece of the old dairy industry (former NOCA & the other company Dairyland bought-out) was in Armstrong at this location here on google street https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Armstr ... 6f!6m1!1e1

It was the original location of Armstrong cheese, it was closed down in the early to mid 90s

Added: I suspect those dairy farm still operating are having milk ship to coast or some to D Dutchman in Sicamous, couple to Village Cheese in Armstrong. My last connections to dairy farming community have either sold or have passed away number of years ago.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Oh yeah, i remember that old milk plant, i was living in armstrong when or shortly after it was built. I often wonder why milk is so expensive then i realize not much competition anymore.

Anyways, there used to be a may day parade, that looked like fun. I gotta scour the internet to see if i can find any more old pictures of vernon.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

TheBoss wrote:Oh yeah, i remember that old milk plant, i was living in armstrong when or shortly after it was built. I often wonder why milk is so expensive then i realize not much competition anymore.

Anyways, there used to be a may day parade, that looked like fun. I gotta scour the internet to see if i can find any more old pictures of vernon.

There are a number of them in this thread, you must check all the links provided to find some of them.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Yeah i'll have to go back through. My dad was telling me there is still portions of the old highway that are driveable, although not very far. Looking at google earth i can still see some sections still have pavement. Too bad they never kept it as a slow scenic route.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

The MOT just posted a slowed-down and extended version of the 1966 U.S. border to Vernon film on their YouTube page. This one includes both Hwys 97 and 97 A to their intersections with Hwy1. Lots of changes there too, but significant sections of both roads still look pretty much the same.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqvHt2UllZk
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Maybe it just Me, as a youngster I remember the colours being even brighter then they are now.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/145 ... Lake-green
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I remember more colours as well. I remember seeing teal, emerald and pink in Kal Lake.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “North Okanagan”