You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by GordonH »

gardengirl wrote:I remember more colours as well. I remember seeing teal, emerald and pink in Kal Lake.

Yes, I thought it would sound crazy to mention that. I to remember more colours
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Maybe it just Me, as a youngster I remember the colours being even brighter then they are now.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/145 ... Lake-green

I dunno, its been pretty green the last week. I flew in from Calgary last week and had to fly over the mountains on the east side of the lake to swing around for an approach to runway 34 (from the south) due to the Shelter Cove fire ... the difference in color between OK and Kal lakes was like night and day - pretty neat to see.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Here's a pic I took last week coming into YLW showing the color difference between the lakes ...

... not the best, took it with my iPhone.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:Here's a pic I took last week coming into YLW showing the color difference between the lakes ...

... not the best, took it with my iPhone.

Back in the 70s my parents had friends that lived in Summerland so we would visit them few times a year. I remember there being many more shades of green & blues as well very light reds closer to pink.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:
Back in the 70s my parents had friends that lived in Summerland so we would visit them few times a year. I remember there being many more shades of green & blues as well very light reds closer to pink.

I don't recall ever seeing pinks (maybe the reflection from the rocks close to shore?) but the various blues and greens are still there, coming back from Kelowna the other morning after driving the Mrs. to the airport, lots of splotches of blue amongst the green. Always wished they were reefs though LOL!
Blackdog69

Post by Blackdog69 »

The original Hong Kong Village ... HKV. #5 Boneless. Place was nuts busy, fast and good.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Blackdog69 wrote:The original Hong Kong Village ... HKV. #5 Boneless. Place was nuts busy, fast and good.

between lotus gardens and hong kong village the *removed* food was a 100 times better than what we se today for sure
Golden Crown in its hay day was decent also but all gone now
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

TheBoss wrote:I'm a young pup, only 27. I do remember Vernon in the early 90's, man has it changed. I loved reading through the post yes all 72 pages and seeing how Vernon has changed over the years. I wish i could of grown up when times were simpler, when Vernon was a small humble local town. I have heard stories from my dad about suicide hill, One involves a kid attempting to take a modified bike of some sorts down and well failing horribly. My grandpa used to own the house on the corner near the civic arena (forget exact address), until he bought the farm on bella vista (still there). I do wish i could do mainers, have a drag race, jump suicide hill (always wanted to do that lol). I do remember being a young pup driving past the sewage plant (90's) thinking where's all the kids at the water park lol. Lets keep this going, i want to hear more great stories or pictures of vernon. Anyone else have any more pictures o the skyview drive in?

you have no idea how much fun suicide hill was to go up and then down in a car and then do mainers on 30ave and then zip up to the A+W (where Cdn tire was until last week) or the north end drive in those were the days
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dontrump wrote:
you have no idea how much fun suicide hill was to go up and then down in a car and then do mainers on 30ave and then zip up to the A+W (where Cdn tire was until last week) or the north end drive in those were the days

Oh how I remember those. On the last day of school, our school bus driver took us down Suicide Hill - you sat in the back and got some serious air - what a blast that was :)
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Suicide hill was a blast to go down and we used to paint it every year for grad. However, 3 kids from our grad class did fly down and smoke a telephone pole. One broke his neck and serious broken bones for the others. No deaths thankfully. That was probably why they closed the downhill portion.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Blackdog69 wrote:The original Hong Kong Village ... HKV. #5 Boneless. Place was nuts busy, fast and good.

Best dry garlic ribs ever!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Wasn't there another restaurant in the same area called The Goon Hong? Think the owners name was Eddie.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

southy wrote:Wasn't there another restaurant in the same area called The Goon Hong? Think the owners name was Eddie.

Yup. Across the street and down a bit from Hong Kong Village. I think it had a nightclub in the basement for a while.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Yup. Across the street and down a bit from Hong Kong Village. I think it had a nightclub in the basement for a while

it was called the rainbow room
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ my parents favourite was Lotus Garden, as a kid I had 1 dish I would eat tons of chicken fried rice.

Return to “North Okanagan”