You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

gypsymama1

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by gypsymama1 »

Does anyone know what year(s) that Rubin Taylor ran the Capital Taxi stand? And was it in the side entrance/basement of the Kal hotel?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

gypsymama1 wrote:Does anyone know what year(s) that Rubin Taylor ran the Capital Taxi stand? And was it in the side entrance/basement of the Kal hotel?

it was cant remember what year now but late 60 era early 70
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Does anyone remember when the employees of radio station CKAL which was up on the highway across from the College demonstrated downtown over the owners selling the station or something. Was big news in the day especially on CJIB :D . Often wonder what really happened there.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Little Mix Concrete??
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Noisy Boater wrote:Little Mix Concrete??

yes run by Rick johhsons s father and him on 45 ave ;where Purolator is now ;; I cant believe someone never started one up again as I believe theres a nitch market for such in Vernon
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

I think his name was Stan Johnson. They are a shirt tail relative of mine. I think Stan is my aunts brother.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
superbee
Fledgling

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember....

Post by superbee »

Verminator wrote:McLeod's Hardware store downtown.
The Lakeside Hotel and the old tugboat at Paddlewheel Park.
Normie Ogasawara's store on 27th avenue. What a great guy.
The SuperValu store where Staples is now.
K-Mart.
The lunch counter at Woolworth's.
There was a trucking company or something that burned to the ground in 1973 about where the downtown Shopper's Drug Mart is. Anyone remember what it was called?

Chapman's Transport?
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

gypsymama1 wrote:Does anyone know what year(s) that Rubin Taylor ran the Capital Taxi stand? And was it in the side entrance/basement of the Kal hotel?

I think the mid 60's till early 70s he owned it? His daughter Carmen went to high school with us. At one time Rubin owned one of those little cars that you could drive right into the water...Aqua Car? Maybe blue? I think Capital Taxi had a little dispatch office on the alley side wall of the Capital (Towne) Theatre.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

superbee wrote: At one time Rubin owned one of those little cars that you could drive right into the water...Aqua Car? Maybe blue?

That sure brings back a 50+ year old memory of a little drama that played out on Kalamalka Lake back in the 60's. A guy drove his little amphibious car (that looked like this...) ...

... from a boat ramp and was driving it back and forth, past the Kalamalka beach. Seems to me it was a young guy and his girlfriend in the front seat. There was a boat in the area towing water skiers, and it made a deliberate run at the much less maneuverable car. The skier did a sharp turn just a few feet from the car, spraying and soaking the couple with a thick wall of water.

Then karma kicked in -- the skier wiped out, losing both his skies. One was right near the car, so the car's driver quickly pulled alongside, grabbed the ski, and made for the boat ramp. The boat caught up before he got there, but he wouldn't give the ski back, and drove up the ramp and out of sight.

There were actually people on the beach applauding, as he made his escape with the ski.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

superbee wrote:
Verminator wrote:McLeod's Hardware store downtown.
The Lakeside Hotel and the old tugboat at Paddlewheel Park.
Normie Ogasawara's store on 27th avenue. What a great guy.
The SuperValu store where Staples is now.
K-Mart.
The lunch counter at Woolworth's.
There was a trucking company or something that burned to the ground in 1973 about where the downtown Shopper's Drug Mart is. Anyone remember what it was called?

Chapman's Transport?

the only store that Norm Ogasawara had was on bella vista road and he was also a partner in the shell oil bulk sales agency
from what I remember chapmans was located (still is) on 26 ave (behind the durggie place called upper room mission
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

dontrump wrote:
the only store that Norm Ogasawara had was on bella vista road and he was also a partner in the shell oil bulk sales agency
from what I remember chapmans was located (still is) on 26 ave (behind the durggie place called upper room mission

Norm's store was on 27th Ave and is now a child care place. I'm not sure if it had other uses in between.
dmj_okanagan999

Post by dmj_okanagan999 »

Suicide Hill. Other tests: do you remember where the Drive-In used to be...? :smt045
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dmj_okanagan999 wrote: Other tests: do you remember where the Drive-In used to be...? :smt045

48th Ave and 23rd St.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

There are a couple empty fenced in lots around Vernon. I can't remember all of the streets they're located at, one is by pizza hut,the other is by polson automotive. The third one is corner of 39th and 29th. My dad was saying that they used to be gas stations or something to due with gas of some sort.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

TheBoss wrote:There are a couple empty fenced in lots around Vernon. I can't remember all of the streets they're located at, one is by pizza hut,the other is by polson automotive. The third one is corner of 39th and 29th. My dad was saying that they used to be gas stations or something to due with gas of some sort.

The one by Pizza Hut was a Chevron.

The one on 39 and 29 was a storage facility for Esso IIRC.

The one by Polson Automotive was also a storage facility, Shell IIRC.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “North Okanagan”