You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Verminator
Board Meister

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember....

Post by Verminator »

Sorry superbee, I don't have any pics of Henri's store. I did find this, though - it's an old Vernon postcard from the late 30's or early 40's, taken from somewhere behind the St.James Catholic church. You can see the church just to the right of the big tree in the foreground and near the center of the photo is what looks like the old Kalamalka Hotel. I often wonder what it was like to live in Vernon in those days, it looks so small-townish and peaceful in this shot. Sigh.....
Attachments
Vernon from behind St James church, 1930s.jpg
Last edited by Verminator on Apr 12th, 2012, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

superbee wrote:Verminator, thank you for the Polson Park update. I will have to get there again one of these days. Sorry to hear it is being so disrespected. That's terrible.

Would you happen to have a photo in your shoebox of Henri's Store in Lavington? I know it was abit out of your loop there at the Army Camp. I don't know when Henri's burned down, hopefully Fritz can remember. I do know Henri's store was still there in the early '70's because I bought my measuring spoons there then. I'd love to see a photo of Henri's. Oh, those ice cream cones.....

Henri's store: It was 1981...............I am 99% sure.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Does anybody remember what the building that houses Okanagan Springs Brewery was before it was the brewery? I seem to recall it being a Tire store.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Tphord

Post by Tphord »

I believe the Okanagan Springs building was the BC Fruit Shipper's packing house.

VERNONITE
Anyone whose Family came here in the last 10,000 years (including 2012) and
LOVES VERNON
(warts and all! )
My Folks were "Johnny-come-latelies”!

"Any color as long as it's black"

Mr. Fitz-'60s photog-where are you?
gotaway

Post by gotaway »

Does anybody remember what the building that houses Okanagan Springs Brewery was before it was the brewery? I seem to recall it being a Tire store.

They used to retread truck tires, some of the moulds were kept out on the street side loading dock .
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Verminator, thanks for posting the photo from behind the Catholic Church. I think I can see the Kal Hotel too, maybe it's wishful thinking but also the old PO across the street. Over more to the right I think I can see the dark roof of the old red brick firehouse. That sat right behind where the Allison Hotel was in my time. When I was little it was the Museum with many stuffed creatures. There was some kind of big stuffed bird (a bald eagle?) over the doorway. The doorway faced west, over to the big arched gateway to Cenotaph Park.

That is a great photo. The next time I'm in Vernon I will go up behind the Church and see if I can find near to the same spot. I also have to get to the Museum, I've heard they have lots of old Vernon photos there. Maybe one of the elusive Mr. Fritz?!!
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Tphord, I remember a fruit shipping place just down over the bank from the Catholic School, right along the tracks. Didn't it have the Big Chief Indian head on top of one of the roofs?

That is a super Ogopogo apple box label. We had a wooden apple box here that had a Big Chief label. I assumed it came from the same apple processoring place behind the Tastee Freez, where Horton's is now, since I remember that Big Chief sign up on its roof.
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

superbee wrote:Tphord, I remember a fruit shipping place just down over the bank from the Catholic School, right along the tracks. Didn't it have the Big Chief Indian head on top of one of the roofs?

That is a super Ogopogo apple box label. We had a wooden apple box here that had a Big Chief label. I assumed it came from the same apple processoring place behind the Tastee Freez, where Horton's is now, since I remember that Big Chief sign up on its roof.

zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I remember when the Big Chief Mobile home park opened out on the Landing. Need help here, used to be a service station behind the National, what was behind the Kalamalka Hotel?
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Zookeeper, I remember behind the Kal Hotel just being a dirt parking lot in the early '60's and then a paved parking lot. Then a small building appeared. Was it a beer and wine store? Gerry O's?

For some reason I thought it was a laundromat there before the beer and wine store....
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Thanks, CR, that's the Big Chief I remember!
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Yes superbee, it was an empty lot behind Kalamalka, beside that was Bennetts furniture that you could enter front (main st) or back. It wasn't a service station behind the National either, it was a taxi company, Capitol I think, a guy Joe? had it, he lived out towards Lumby. Then out towards Bella Vista the Ogasawara brothers had a grocery store. There was a little gift shop next to Henri's in Lavington, but it didn't last long.
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

zookeeper wrote:Yes superbee, it was an empty lot behind Kalamalka, beside that was Bennetts furniture that you could enter front (main st) or back. It wasn't a service station behind the National either, it was a taxi company, Capitol I think, a guy Joe? had it, he lived out towards Lumby. Then out towards Bella Vista the Ogasawara brothers had a grocery store. There was a little gift shop next to Henri's in Lavington, but it didn't last long.

Close, Zookeeper, "Valley Taxi" was behind "The National" in a white stucco building with a single repair bay and gas pumps, owned by Walter Joe. Walter also had a produce acreage on Hwy #6 called "Walter Joe's Happy Acres."

"Capital Taxi" was across the street in the "Gerry O's Cold Beer and Wine Store" building.
Last edited by CR250R40 on Apr 17th, 2012, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

And before that, the little Capital Taxi stand was in the alley along the side of the Capital Theatre.
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

Vernon's "Capitol Theatre" in 1938 showing The Citadel.

Entrance.

Lobby.
Last edited by CR250R40 on Apr 18th, 2012, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “North Okanagan”