Why does Vernon suck? Who is interested in making it better?

EuroJas23

Re: Why does Vernon suck? Who is interested in making it better?

Post by EuroJas23 »

fvkasm2x wrote:
eros_sm wrote: I do my shopping elsewhere. When I need products, Vernon is the last place I look. I will go to Kelowna, Kamloops, Vancouver and even the internet. In fact I also do more business for myself in Vancouver (and don't think I haven't tried Vernon). When people come here (and I don`t know why they would) and ask what restaurants are good, I send them to Kelowna. When they ask; "what should I bring?" I tell them "everything, you won't find anything you need here".

What exactly are you looking to buy? You have large chains like Superstore, Wal-Mart, The Brick, etc.... You have all kinds of cuisine: Greek, Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.... Do you eat imported whale belly with Nepalese goat dressing?

Are you one of those "snobs" who can only buy things from The Pottery Barn and IKEA so everything else is unacceptable?

LOVE IT!! :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:
VMF

Post by VMF »

fvkasm2x wrote:Most people from Vernon are stuck in their own little bubble. They haven't traveled or experienced other cultures so they think everything they do is right, normal, etc....

They are small town people with small town attitudes, but instead of being nice and friendly, they think they are the center of the world. It's really quite interesting, but you can't fix it.

A brilliant post, fvkasm2x--I could not have said it better myself.

I grew up in Vernon and loved it (for Kal Lake, mountain biking and what I considered to be a great school) until I was a teenager--for a small town there was so much drama centered around trivial issues that it was almost embarrassing to be a part of the Vernon "community". Lots of people I knew complained about what a hole it was and yet no one did anything about anything they were complaining about... And many of them still have the same complaints today, over a decade later. I had to get out because the drama was toxic--thank goodness university and a couple years of travel helped me shake the Vernon-ness. I'm back in the Ok (albeit not in Vernon) and am thrilled to be a part of a similar sized community that is NOT a vortex of negativity.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Fritzthecat wrote:
Geetarguy wrote:Sorry, but I must strongly disagree here.

My family and I recently moved to Vernon from Alberta. We've often commented about how friendly the people were around Vernon.

When we're in stores in town, we're often greeted with friendly conversation and smiles - something we didn't get back in big-city Alberta very often.

We've found this town very welcoming and friendly - very much so actually.

There again, we usually try to be friendly and warm people too, because I believe that I should reach out and treat others as I would want to be treated.

Just my .02

I've been all over this province. Some places, like 100 Mile House, are worse than Vernon. I remember walking into a café there to get breakfast with my wife, Dad and Uncle. It was like a movie: You could hear ALL the conversation stop and everybody look at us when we walked in. It was very uncomfortable and weird.
Then again, I got to a place like Kaslo and it is the opposite.
It's not so much a "if you go out with bad attitude" situation.
It is the HISTORY of Vernon to be honest. Vernon was founded by Remittance Men. Wiki article here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remittance
It was founded by rich misfits with attitudes to match! It is intertwined in our very community fabric. A community founded by people who had a sense of entitlement with the money to back it. It is not hard to make the connection. That is why it no longer makes me as mad as it once did. It is just part of our community and our history. I don't like it, but that is how it is.

I have to agree. I've been to worse places too - Creston has to be the unfriendliest small town I've ever been to. I vividly remember our first time there about 12 years ago. My daughter had just moved to Creston and we went to the local A&W for breakfast. The place was filled with local old-timers and as soon as we walked in, everyone stopped talking and looked at us as if on cue. Their eyes burned holes in our skulls for the whole time we were there - it was the most uncomfortable meal I ever ate. That scenario repeated itself almost every time we went to a restaurant or a shop in that horrid town.

Vernon's not quite in that league, but it's close. When we moved here over 30 years ago, I loved Vernon's small-town atmosphere and the unhurried lifestyles it offered. There were lots of small neighborhood stores where the owners knew all their customers by name - does anyone here remember Normie's Store on 27th Ave and how his customers adored him? I worked in the VJH ER in those days and more often than not it was so quiet that not a single patient showed up at night. All that is long-gone, now we have big-box stores, traffic jams, dirty water, air pollution, dust, drugs and noise. Every single night I hear sirens, revving motors and screeching tires from my bedroom window, often all night long. Before Vernon became what it is now it was frogs and crickets. You can guess which I prefer.

BTW, I agree totally with Fritzthecat's observations about Kaslo. We stopped at a delightful little cafe there for lunch one day and were treated like royalty. If you're ever in that part of the country, it's a gorgeous little town and well worth visiting.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Fritzthecat wrote:I agree with the OP. Born and raised here. Vernon IS terrible.
Rudeness and incompetence are hallmarks of Vernon "service."
People DO NOT talk to you.

I had a great example this week of that crummy, terrible Vernon attitude. I was in traffic and it was backed up. Ahead I saw a car that wasn't moving. I assumed it had been a collision. I watched the guy with the car go back and talk to the pick up behind him. Then I saw the guy go to his car and start pushing and the truck very quickly (and dangerously close I may add) zoomed around him! About a dozen or so vehicles roared past this guy, some honking, some fingering him, other glaring. Did anybody offer assistance? Noooooooooooooooo. :purefury:
I parked my car, threw the 4 ways on and ran over to help this guy. I too got angry looks, fingers and horns.
We eventually got the car pushed off the road and I moved my car. There was about 10 cars behind me and they ALL gave me dirty looks, fingers, horns etc.
All this poor guy wanted was a jump start. He'd been there about five minutes and NOBODY WOULD HELP HIM!
He was so thankful to me! And what did it take? 5-10 minutes of my day.
And you know what? I always help people with broken cars and when I do ask them if they've been waiting long and they all tell the same story: Nobody would stop to help, offer a phone a ride nothing. Nothing but angry looks, fingers and horns.
That is a prime example of what is wrong with Vernon.

Thats not just Vernon where you find that.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

skydawg wrote:Thats not just Vernon where you find that.

True. But I've been places where it is not as pronounced or blatant as it is here.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Quote from original poster: The only reason I stay here is because I don`t go out anymore. I do my shopping elsewhere. When I need products, Vernon is the last place I look.

Mmmm, maybe that's part of the problem (I'm almost smelling a troll here). Maybe you need to get out more! Or shouldn''t BE in Vernon then. Maybe you need to be somewhere that provides exactly what you're looking for.

I worked in Vernon for many years & hubby still works there (for over 20 yrs). Over the past 20 yrs it's definately changed but I don't see any less pride in the residents that live there. Most people are there because they want to be.
Our observation is that Vernon is a tight-knit community. Always has been. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. I think if you make the effort to immerse yourself in your community it comes back to you ten-fold. You get to know the shopkeepers, the service people - it's not a bad thing you know. Maybe try it ????

Remember the old saying - you attract more bees with honey than vinegar ???
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Tootsie wrote:Quote from original poster: The only reason I stay here is because I don`t go out anymore. I do my shopping elsewhere. When I need products, Vernon is the last place I look.

Mmmm, maybe that's part of the problem (I'm almost smelling a troll here). Maybe you need to get out more! Or shouldn''t BE in Vernon then. Maybe you need to be somewhere that provides exactly what you're looking for.

I worked in Vernon for many years & hubby still works there (for over 20 yrs). Over the past 20 yrs it's definately changed but I don't see any less pride in the residents that live there. Most people are there because they want to be.
Our observation is that Vernon is a tight-knit community. Always has been. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. I think if you make the effort to immerse yourself in your community it comes back to you ten-fold. You get to know the shopkeepers, the service people - it's not a bad thing you know. Maybe try it ????

Remember the old saying - you attract more bees with honey than vinegar ???

Maybe some of the local busniesses should put the vinegar away and put the honey out hten.
I've been here since 1976 :127: so I've got a few more years expericene here.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Ironfist

Post by Ironfist »

Vernon has problems, like everywhere else. It doesn't suck - open your mind to some of the great parts about the town, like Silver Star, Kal, some of the very good local eateries, Funtastic, etc. Furthermore, having grown up there, I know there are many, many terrific folks up there. Enjoying (or tolerating) where you live is totally dependent on your attitude.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Ironfist wrote:Vernon has problems, like everywhere else. It doesn't suck - open your mind to some of the great parts about the town, like Silver Star, Kal, some of the very good local eateries, Funtastic, etc. Furthermore, having grown up there, I know there are many, many terrific folks up there. Enjoying (or tolerating) where you live is totally dependent on your attitude.

Silver Star-ruined by great. Too expensive for all but the rich. Too bad we don;t have a smaller community hill, Like Tillicum was (although Tillicum was too low and not enough snow)
Kal Beach-ruined by tourists. Too crowded, too dirty. Too much garbage in the lake at this end. Also, I don;t like coming out of the lake and having a rash becasue of pollution.
Local Eateries-ruined by franchising. Local eateries like McDonalds, Wendy's, East Side Marios and Earls? :dyinglaughing:
Funtastic-ruined by drunks and too much noise! I live on the other side of Kal Lake. Last year I could feel the noise on th ewalls of my house. Good thing I didn't have to get up early that weekend...oh wait a minute I DID!
Sunvalley Speedway-see previous thread about that.

Problem with Vernon (and the Okanagan in genral) is WE ruin our best features. We sell out and want to squeeze it for every $ we can. I've seen it for the last 30+years!

Long live:
-Tillicum Ski Hill
-Cedar Hot Springs
-Silver Star when it was affordable and small
-Clean, quiet beaches
-Local eateries like The Cattle Company, Del's Drive-In, Dimitris and RJ's Chicken and Ribs
-Being able to go out and enjoy your community withotu all the drunken tourists.
-Freddy's Records, Kelly's, Nick's and in general vibrant safe Main Street

:purefury:
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Life is what you make it. You will usually find what you look for even if it's not what you want. We find Vernon a wonderful place to live. Yes it is changing but so is everywhere else. I still believe there is something here for everyone. They just have to work at finding it. I believe one of the biggest problems today is that everyone is in such a hurry. Slow down and look for the little enjoyments in life. We've lived in 5 provinces, numerous cities and towns, even total isolation and have always found a good life. Some places are better than others but generally they are all what you make them.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Geetarguy

Post by Geetarguy »

Smurf wrote:Life is what you make it. You will usually find what you look for even if it's not what you want. We find Vernon a wonderful place to live. Yes it is changing but so is everywhere else. I still believe there is something here for everyone. They just have to work at finding it. I believe one of the biggest problems today is that everyone is in such a hurry. Slow down and look for the little enjoyments in life. We've lived in 5 provinces, numerous cities and towns, even total isolation and have always found a good life. Some places are better than others but generally they are all what you make them.

Totally agree - and very well said.

Every city on this planet has it's share of people who do not like the city and locale in which they live. It's just going to happen - not everyone will be happy all of the time.

Smurf made a great point about the pace in which people are going these days. Completely and totally agree. I agree with this, because I have observed even in myself that when I decide that I'm really not in a rush today - things around me seem so much more pleasant, and in turn, I probably come across a lot more laid back to others.

It is what you choose to make of it - and that's my own honest personal experience.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I dont think Vernon sucks. Id much rather live in Vernon than Penticton or some other South Okanagan town.
bernieremy

Post by bernieremy »

It does not help when vernon has radio stations like sun fm and kiss fm whoose announcers brag about the amount flatuence they produce and encourage the listening audience to do the same.

To many people have moved to the town with their own secret agenda i.e. being unfreindly and living in their own world. these clowns do not want to engage in social intercourse.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

bernieremy wrote:It does not help when vernon has radio stations like sun fm and kiss fm whoose announcers brag about the amount flatuence they produce and encourage the listening audience to do the same.

Really? How disturbingly unfunny.
Chingy13

Post by Chingy13 »

VMF wrote:
fvkasm2x wrote:Most people from Vernon are stuck in their own little bubble. They haven't traveled or experienced other cultures so they think everything they do is right, normal, etc....

They are small town people with small town attitudes, but instead of being nice and friendly, they think they are the center of the world. It's really quite interesting, but you can't fix it.

A brilliant post, fvkasm2x--I could not have said it better myself.

I grew up in Vernon and loved it (for Kal Lake, mountain biking and what I considered to be a great school) until I was a teenager--for a small town there was so much drama centered around trivial issues that it was almost embarrassing to be a part of the Vernon "community". Lots of people I knew complained about what a hole it was and yet no one did anything about anything they were complaining about... And many of them still have the same complaints today, over a decade later. I had to get out because the drama was toxic--thank goodness university and a couple years of travel helped me shake the Vernon-ness. I'm back in the Ok (albeit not in Vernon) and am thrilled to be a part of a similar sized community that is NOT a vortex of negativity.

Kind of ignorant to paint 50,000 plus people with the same brush I would say.

Return to “North Okanagan”