Why does Vernon suck? Who is interested in making it better?

eros_sm

Why does Vernon suck? Who is interested in making it better?

Post by eros_sm »

In the last few months I have spoken to hundreds of Vernon residence and business owners. And I have found that abound 2% of the people I spoke to were polite or even talked to me. Even people I knew were more rude than I had expected. There is something wrong in Vernon. Something stinks here. I can't put my finger on it. Do Vernonites think they are better than everybody else? They sure come across 'stuck-up'. This town is full of business owners who just want for themselves and don`t care about the community. I came from Vancouver and at the time, the scale leaned toward Vernon and it only took 8yrs for the table to turn. The only reason I stay here is because I don`t go out anymore. I do my shopping elsewhere. When I need products, Vernon is the last place I look. I will go to Kelowna, Kamloops, Vancouver and even the internet. In fact I also do more business for myself in Vancouver (and don't think I haven't tried Vernon). When people come here (and I don`t know why they would) and ask what restaurants are good, I send them to Kelowna. When they ask; "what should I bring?" I tell them "everything, you won't find anything you need here". My sister in-law and nephews come to town and when we wanted to do something interesting, we left town. Last year on Canada Day we went to Kelowna`s event. It was wonderful. Who is doing anything about it? I am not a counsel member, a doctor, a lawyer, or any other person of influence. I don`t have the resources to do anything. Are there any organizations that have a positive outlook and who are interested in actually doing something? I am not just complaining, I want to do something about this!
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Re: Why does Vernon suck? Who is interested in making it better?

Post by skydawg »

eros_sm wrote:In the last few months I have spoken to hundreds of Vernon residence and business owners. And I have found that abound 2% of the people I spoke to were polite or even talked to me. Even people I knew were more rude than I had expected. There is something wrong in Vernon. Something stinks here. I can't put my finger on it. Do Vernonites think they are better than everybody else? They sure come across 'stuck-up'. This town is full of business owners who just want for themselves and don`t care about the community. I came from Vancouver and at the time, the scale leaned toward Vernon and it only took 8yrs for the table to turn. The only reason I stay here is because I don`t go out anymore. I do my shopping elsewhere. When I need products, Vernon is the last place I look. I will go to Kelowna, Kamloops, Vancouver and even the internet. In fact I also do more business for myself in Vancouver (and don't think I haven't tried Vernon). When people come here (and I don`t know why they would) and ask what restaurants are good, I send them to Kelowna. When they ask; "what should I bring?" I tell them "everything, you won't find anything you need here". My sister in-law and nephews come to town and when we wanted to do something interesting, we left town. Last year on Canada Day we went to Kelowna`s event. It was wonderful. Who is doing anything about it? I am not a counsel member, a doctor, a lawyer, or any other person of influence. I don`t have the resources to do anything. Are there any organizations that have a positive outlook and who are interested in actually doing something? I am not just complaining, I want to do something about this!

Kelowna has expaned so much and its me me me atitude has rubbed off on some vernon people.
Actually I find Vernon to be friendly.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Most people from Vernon are stuck in their own little bubble. They haven't traveled or experienced other cultures so they think everything they do is right, normal, etc....

They are small town people with small town attitudes, but instead of being nice and friendly, they think they are the center of the world. It's really quite interesting, but you can't fix it.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I live in Vernon and the town you describe is NOT the town I live in. But with an attitude like yours no wonder "Vernon Sucks"; maybe you go out with energy that rejects any smiles or friendliness, or your "talking to" is more like complaining or talking at?

How involved have you chosen to be in Vernon?...I imagine minimal if at all. Volunteer somewhere and make a difference in other's lives...be the difference you want to see in the town you live...or just move to those other cities/towns you think are "better". Unfortunately I suspect you will find the same miserable people as you have found here because wherever you go, there you and your attitude will be...good luck!

PS there was already a discussion similar to this if you look back and you will find those who feel the same way you do...then maybe you won't feel so alone. You can all join forces and bemoan the mean people who live in Vernon....jeeshh!
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

fvkasm2x wrote:Most people from Vernon are stuck in their own little bubble. They haven't traveled or experienced other cultures so they think everything they do is right, normal, etc....

They are small town people with small town attitudes, but instead of being nice and friendly, they think they are the center of the world. It's really quite interesting, but you can't fix it.

You just described kelowna perfectly
EuroJas23

Post by EuroJas23 »

I guess when you walk into a business location with an attitude that this town sucks, along with everything that is or isn't provided here...you may get people with bad attitudes toward you. If you think it sucks so much why stay? Move to another city that can provide you with all that you require. Then you might want to complain on how busy it is and all the traffic there is...yadda yadda yadda

Things to do in Vernon, we have beautiful lakes, a ski hill 20 minutes away, hiking and biking trails, Watersides, performing arts center, rec-center I could go on and on... It is up to you on how you want your experience to be.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Exactly, move to kelowna where your atitude will fit right in
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

EuroJas23 wrote:I guess when you walk into a business location with an attitude that this town sucks, along with everything that is or isn't provided here...you may get people with bad attitudes toward you. If you think it sucks so much why stay? Move to another city that can provide you with all that you require. Then you might want to complain on how busy it is and all the traffic there is...yadda yadda yadda

Things to do in Vernon, we have beautiful lakes, a ski hill 20 minutes away, hiking and biking trails, Watersides, performing arts center, rec-center I could go on and on... It is up to you on how you want your experience to be.

Hear! Hear! EuroJas23!!
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

skydawg wrote:Exactly, move to kelowna where your atitude will fit right in

I can imagine that regardless of what town the OP moves to she/he will find the same miserable people...
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

I agree with the OP. Born and raised here. Vernon IS terrible.
Rudeness and incompetence are hallmarks of Vernon "service."
People DO NOT talk to you.

I had a great example this week of that crummy, terrible Vernon attitude. I was in traffic and it was backed up. Ahead I saw a car that wasn't moving. I assumed it had been a collision. I watched the guy with the car go back and talk to the pick up behind him. Then I saw the guy go to his car and start pushing and the truck very quickly (and dangerously close I may add) zoomed around him! About a dozen or so vehicles roared past this guy, some honking, some fingering him, other glaring. Did anybody offer assistance? Noooooooooooooooo. :purefury:
I parked my car, threw the 4 ways on and ran over to help this guy. I too got angry looks, fingers and horns.
We eventually got the car pushed off the road and I moved my car. There was about 10 cars behind me and they ALL gave me dirty looks, fingers, horns etc.
All this poor guy wanted was a jump start. He'd been there about five minutes and NOBODY WOULD HELP HIM!
He was so thankful to me! And what did it take? 5-10 minutes of my day.
And you know what? I always help people with broken cars and when I do ask them if they've been waiting long and they all tell the same story: Nobody would stop to help, offer a phone a ride nothing. Nothing but angry looks, fingers and horns.
That is a prime example of what is wrong with Vernon.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
EuroJas23

Post by EuroJas23 »

it is people like you Fritz that make this town a nice place to live, even though there were a lot of dirty looks, someone there saw the kindness that you did and will some point in their lives return it. Not all of those people honking or glaring are form Vernon. We are heading into to summer and i would bet that they are vacationers passing through in a hurry to get to their final destination. As for the rudeness of people, yes they are here but they are everywhere no matter what town or city you go to. Ever think to rise above the rudeness of others and bring your positiveness upon them?
your actions cause reactions... :sunshine: :sunshine:
Geetarguy

Post by Geetarguy »

Sorry, but I must strongly disagree here.

My family and I recently moved to Vernon from Alberta. We've often commented about how friendly the people were around Vernon.

When we're in stores in town, we're often greeted with friendly conversation and smiles - something we didn't get back in big-city Alberta very often.

We've found this town very welcoming and friendly - very much so actually.

There again, we usually try to be friendly and warm people too, because I believe that I should reach out and treat others as I would want to be treated.

Just my .02
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Geetarguy wrote:Sorry, but I must strongly disagree here.

My family and I recently moved to Vernon from Alberta. We've often commented about how friendly the people were around Vernon.

When we're in stores in town, we're often greeted with friendly conversation and smiles - something we didn't get back in big-city Alberta very often.

We've found this town very welcoming and friendly - very much so actually.

There again, we usually try to be friendly and warm people too, because I believe that I should reach out and treat others as I would want to be treated.

Just my .02

I've been all over this province. Some places, like 100 Mile House, are worse than Vernon. I remember walking into a café there to get breakfast with my wife, Dad and Uncle. It was like a movie: You could hear ALL the conversation stop and everybody look at us when we walked in. It was very uncomfortable and weird.
Then again, I got to a place like Kaslo and it is the opposite.
It's not so much a "if you go out with bad attitude" situation.
It is the HISTORY of Vernon to be honest. Vernon was founded by Remittance Men. Wiki article here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remittance
It was founded by rich misfits with attitudes to match! It is intertwined in our very community fabric. A community founded by people who had a sense of entitlement with the money to back it. It is not hard to make the connection. That is why it no longer makes me as mad as it once did. It is just part of our community and our history. I don't like it, but that is how it is.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

skydawg wrote:
fvkasm2x wrote:Most people from Vernon are stuck in their own little bubble. They haven't traveled or experienced other cultures so they think everything they do is right, normal, etc....

You just described kelowna perfectly

I was going to add this at the bottom, but decided against it:

"It's a lot like Kelowna, but with slightly fewer seniors and 'G-Thug gangsters' who think they live in New York or LA." They are eerily similar.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

eros_sm wrote: I do my shopping elsewhere. When I need products, Vernon is the last place I look. I will go to Kelowna, Kamloops, Vancouver and even the internet. In fact I also do more business for myself in Vancouver (and don't think I haven't tried Vernon). When people come here (and I don`t know why they would) and ask what restaurants are good, I send them to Kelowna. When they ask; "what should I bring?" I tell them "everything, you won't find anything you need here".

What exactly are you looking to buy? You have large chains like Superstore, Wal-Mart, The Brick, etc.... You have all kinds of cuisine: Greek, Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.... Do you eat imported whale belly with Nepalese goat dressing?

Are you one of those "snobs" who can only buy things from The Pottery Barn and IKEA so everything else is unacceptable?

Return to “North Okanagan”