Why does Vernon suck? Who is interested in making it better?

imahoser
Fledgling

Re: Why does Vernon suck? Who is interested in making it bet

Post by imahoser »

I've lived here for about 12 years now, and it still sucks! I am a friendly talkative person, and when I go out I always smile at people I pass on the streets or stores, or wherever I may be. Do I EVER get a smile back? NO. I went to Ottawa last year and was overwhelmed by how friendly people were there! It made me realize how stuck up people in the Okanagan valley really are. Sure I can go out and consume until I turn blue, but what is most important in my life is friendship and that has been a huge challenge here in Vernon.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

imahoser wrote:I've lived here for about 12 years now, and it still sucks! I am a friendly talkative person, and when I go out I always smile at people I pass on the streets or stores, or wherever I may be. Do I EVER get a smile back? NO. I went to Ottawa last year and was overwhelmed by how friendly people were there! It made me realize how stuck up people in the Okanagan valley really are. Sure I can go out and consume until I turn blue, but what is most important in my life is friendship and that has been a huge challenge here in Vernon.

That's why I'm packing up after damn near 36 years in the city I was born in.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

where are ya headed?
I would love Nelson, or Vancouver island, if only my aging father wasn't so stuck on staying put with the mild weather here.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

Fritzthecat wrote:
imahoser wrote:I've lived here for about 12 years now, and it still sucks! I am a friendly talkative person, and when I go out I always smile at people I pass on the streets or stores, or wherever I may be. Do I EVER get a smile back? NO. I went to Ottawa last year and was overwhelmed by how friendly people were there! It made me realize how stuck up people in the Okanagan valley really are. Sure I can go out and consume until I turn blue, but what is most important in my life is friendship and that has been a huge challenge here in Vernon.

Hurry now and dont let the door hit you in the Butt on the way out please :dyinglaughing:
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

toughnut wrote:
Fritzthecat wrote:

Hurry now and dont let the door hit you in the Butt on the way out please :dyinglaughing:

I rest my case.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

imahoser wrote:
toughnut wrote:
Fritzthecat wrote:

I rest my case.

what case?? I find the opposite.I see people and smile and say hello etc all the time.I dont find this town unfriendly at all and never have in my 50+ years of being here.Frits exagerates the situation based on his own personal failings :sunshine:
Martin_Herrigan
Fledgling

Post by Martin_Herrigan »

Vernon BC is not the problem. Remember,, no matter where you go, there you are.
A socially responsible business, does not employ poverty for profits.
Eliminator

Post by Eliminator »

How about those Vipers!!!
mamabee

Post by mamabee »

100% agree. Vernon sucks. I've yet to meet anyone who likes it here..except the eternal optimists (or rather people who are delusional). The only 'other' folks that seem to like it here are those that are rich because they think they own the lake or something stupid like that....you know those types - big time consumers. This town has ZERO community spirit. Ottawa and Vancouver Island are the best places in Canada.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

mamabee wrote:100% agree. Vernon sucks. I've yet to meet anyone who likes it here..except the eternal optimists (or rather people who are delusional). The only 'other' folks that seem to like it here are those that are rich because they think they own the lake or something stupid like that....you know those types - big time consumers. This town has ZERO community spirit. Ottawa and Vancouver Island are the best places in Canada.

Ever thought about volunteering? But then again, sounds like maybe you've already explored every avenue possible to come to conclusion that everyone is either unhappy, delusional or rich. And besides, you're going to see what you choose to see and you're going to get what you expect to get; it's just that simple.

As for me, I've lived in Vernon for a long time. Sure it has it's issues, but over all Vernon's been good to me and my kids (the last two graduated here). And just to clarify, I'm not an "eternally optimistic" person (kind of see myself as an Eeore type), but regardless, I've met some awesome people in my time here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you Vernon is a great place to live, because that's not your experience; So please move to Ottawa or Vancouver Island or where ever else you "think" it will be better, because then there will be one less unhappy face to look at in Vernon :sunshine:
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

mamabee wrote:100% agree. Vernon sucks. I've yet to meet anyone who likes it here..except the eternal optimists (or rather people who are delusional). The only 'other' folks that seem to like it here are those that are rich because they think they own the lake or something stupid like that....you know those types - big time consumers. This town has ZERO community spirit. Ottawa and Vancouver Island are the best places in Canada.

Ok so we have 3 people whom dont like vernon?? So leave.Why do u three torture yourselves living in agony??
Iam a rich guy but dont think I own the lake and in fact hate people whom actually think they do.
Vernon is a great place to live.people please dont sell it short based on a few biased opinions all based on your own personal failures
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

toughnut wrote:

Ok so we have 3 people whom dont like vernon?? So leave.Why do u three torture yourselves living in agony??
Iam a rich guy but dont think I own the lake and in fact hate people whom actually think they do.
Vernon is a great place to live.people please dont sell it short based on a few biased opinions all based on your own personal failures

How long have you lived here? :dyinglaughing: sorry, just couldn't resist :127:
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

I just wanna know how long you die-hard vernon fans have lived here? Maybe you just haven't experience the difference between vernon and a friendly city.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I moved to Vernon in 1980 from Oliver, lived in Armstrong for awhile and then moved to "small town" AB for three years, but for the most part Vernon has been home. The best thing a person can do help you appreciate "home" is to move away for awhile. There's something about not seeing any familiar faces wherever you go to make you appreciate what you had.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

50 years and counting :skippingsheep:

Return to “North Okanagan”