Why does Vernon suck? Who is interested in making it better?

intheknow
Board Meister

Re: Why does Vernon suck? Who is interested in making it better?

Post by intheknow »

I have lived in Vernon Bc since august of 1965 and I have been all over NA and I have yet to find a nicer friendlier crime free place to reside in over vernon and area.Yes we have our trails and tribulations but beleive you me we are on gods street verses other areas of the world
I beleive the olympic licence plates say it the best
just my humble opinion
there are unfriendly idiots in every town everywhere
mamabee

Post by mamabee »

I agree with you 100% and I certainly don't think it's your attitude. I've been here now for 4 years (my husband for 8) and we find it just like you describe. I think it's historical (ultra conservative) and unless the town's council starts to support progress, there won't be any changes.

A town of this size should be a fun, happening place that supports young people. Right now it's only good for seniors and rich people with boats that want nothing to do with the town itself. Someone mentioned 'we have beaches'....the beaches here are pathetic, dirty and so few, I'm embarrased when friends come to visit. Access to the lakes is so limited here, it's unbelievable. So is the access to the crown land. There is none. I hate when Vernon advertises beautiful outdoors, hiking, etc...I'd like to know where...there are no trails and everything is fenced with big NO TRASPASSING signs. The swimming pool has so few public hours we go to Kelowna instead. Very few restaurants are good and it's not the size of town. Look at Nelson, a town of 10,000 and they have amazign restaurants! Amazing vibe and some sense of culture.

Those folks that were 'born and raised' here will always disagree with you - it's just the nature of things. They have a deeper connection to this place so they feel it's just fine. You could grow up in a shittiest place in the world but it would always be your home so you'd defend it....but if you weren't born here, you've travelled and been in different places, you would find this place WEIRD...backwards...almost creepy...We're on our way out of this town, because we've given it a shot, made friends but overall, it's just not a good place to live...we want our kids to grow up in a true community...We'd love to do something about this too and we have friends that tried, but everything gets squashed by the city or someone else with power....
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

pbader wrote:I agree with you 100% and I certainly don't think it's your attitude. I've been here now for 4 years (my husband for 8) and we find it just like you describe. I think it's historical (ultra conservative) and unless the town's council starts to support progress, there won't be any changes.

A town of this size should be a fun, happening place that supports young people. Right now it's only good for seniors and rich people with boats that want nothing to do with the town itself. Someone mentioned 'we have beaches'....the beaches here are pathetic, dirty and so few, I'm embarrased when friends come to visit. Access to the lakes is so limited here, it's unbelievable. So is the access to the crown land. There is none. I hate when Vernon advertises beautiful outdoors, hiking, etc...I'd like to know where...there are no trails and everything is fenced with big NO TRASPASSING signs. The swimming pool has so few public hours we go to Kelowna instead. Very few restaurants are good and it's not the size of town. Look at Nelson, a town of 10,000 and they have amazign restaurants! Amazing vibe and some sense of culture.

Those folks that were 'born and raised' here will always disagree with you - it's just the nature of things. They have a deeper connection to this place so they feel it's just fine. You could grow up in a shittiest place in the world but it would always be your home so you'd defend it....but if you weren't born here, you've travelled and been in different places, you would find this place WEIRD...backwards...almost creepy...We're on our way out of this town, because we've given it a shot, made friends but overall, it's just not a good place to live...we want our kids to grow up in a true community...We'd love to do something about this too and we have friends that tried, but everything gets squashed by the city or someone else with power....
I am born and raised here (mid 70's) and I hate this bloody town. It is as you describe.
Guess what? It's only getting worse too. I mean God forbid you have something progressive to say about working on fixing the drug and crime problem. That's all gay hippy faggo Commie talk. Let's just keep pushing our town down that slippery slope as long as our fences are high enough, eh?
I hate it here and I'm getting the hell out as soon as I can. I'll go somepalce people actually care about their neighbours and community.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Vernon made a lot of progress under...Shawn Harvey. The old mindset of denying any change was pushed aside while Shawn was in office, and things started to happen. It's too bad Shawn ended up with his fingers in the cookie jar, and got what he deserved for his poor judgement in that area. But, I think he DID do some good. I fear that Vernon is back to being run by the Old Boys' Club again, and will suffer for it as the world advances, without Vernon being on the bus.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

RichardWede wrote:Vernon made a lot of progress under...Shawn Harvey. The old mindset of denying any change was pushed aside while Shawn was in office, and things started to happen. It's too bad Shawn ended up with his fingers in the cookie jar, and got what he deserved for his poor judgement in that area. But, I think he DID do some good. I fear that Vernon is back to being run by the Old Boys' Club again, and will suffer for it as the world advances, without Vernon being on the bus.

Unrestrained and unchecked growth is NOT a good thing.
We have major water issues here and Harvey was intent on paving the whole country side so somebody could make a quick, short term profit. Under Harvey expansion and growth was unchecked and nobody cared or thought about the consequences of it.
And it just turned out "you know who" had his hand in the cookie jar. He was by far the worst thing ever to happen to Vernon.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Fritzthecat wrote:
RichardWede wrote:Vernon made a lot of progress under...Shawn Harvey. The old mindset of denying any change was pushed aside while Shawn was in office, and things started to happen. It's too bad Shawn ended up with his fingers in the cookie jar, and got what he deserved for his poor judgement in that area. But, I think he DID do some good. I fear that Vernon is back to being run by the Old Boys' Club again, and will suffer for it as the world advances, without Vernon being on the bus.

We have major water issues here and Harvey was intent on paving the whole country side so somebody could make a quick, short term profit. Under Harvey expansion and growth was unchecked and nobody cared or thought about the consequences of it.
And it just turned out "you know who" had his hand in the cookie jar. He was by far the worst thing ever to happen to Vernon.

That's okay, the NIMBY Vernonites can come to Kelowna to do all their shopping - I'm sure the merchants at Orchard Park appreciate the current Vernon council.

BTW, there's no shortage of water - your OBWB abd GVWD officials simply crow about it because...get ready...without an "issue", why would we need those offices stuffed with over-paid crows?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

RichardWede wrote:
Fritzthecat wrote:

That's okay, the NIMBY Vernonites can come to Kelowna to do all their shopping - I'm sure the merchants at Orchard Park appreciate the current Vernon council.

BTW, there's no shortage of water - your OBWB abd GVWD officials simply crow about it because...get ready...without an "issue", why would we need those offices stuffed with over-paid crows?

Oh you are correct Dickie. I guess the empty reservoirs up in the hills are just a trick perpetrated by the fat cats at GVWD so they can keep their jobs. They probably use holographs to make it look empty....
bernieremy

Post by bernieremy »

Start by getting rid of those air biscuit blowers on sun fm and kiss fm . Honestly have those clowns heard themselves and that crappy fart blowin music.
powerglide

Post by powerglide »

I'm not sure where to begin on this. Don't shop here? bring what you need you can't get it here? people are rude? No culture??!?!? My goodness! I have lived away from Vernon for 19 years and am thrilled to be working there again! You want good service and friendly smiles? head to the timmy's by the Mc donalds, Helmuts sausage kitchen, Butcherboys, Hunters store, peoples Market, the roster, Sir Winston's pub, A&W in the fruit union plaza, chips ahoy infront of Rona, Bakers dozen, fine kettle of fish, Red top shoes, the cowboys choice heck Acklands Granger was excellent! Try the petro can on middleton, the esso on 97th, Canadian tire, Friendly smiles and polite conversation is all I have recieved from these spots and others I may have forgot to mention, I have been reccomended to other businesses by some of these businesses if they didn't have exactly what I was looking for! As for the poster who helped the fellow with the broken down car on the highway I sure could have used your help in kelowna @ enterprise and spall last april, I even had my hood up so people would know I couldn't move, blinkers on and everything! after 35minutes waiting for a tow truck only one young man hopped out to ask if I was ok and if I needed any help.

No culture. Hmmmm. Another brain bender on where to start on this one.....Head down to the Vernon art gallery and help yourself to a piece of chalk, you are encouraged to draw on the sidewalk, the talking donkey has open mic on wednesday, the performing arts center is booked for months so grab a show, you have the powerhouse theater and the Caravan theater Co. There is a skate park at the entrance of the town covered in local art! look at the side of the science center or dozens of other buildings around town. If you are starving for food and culture the Midsummers Eve of the Arts is July 21 for a full saturation.

I like to go to Juniper and jade bays for my beaches, Kin is a good place for people with thier dogs at one end and kids can play on the monkey bars at the other end, I do miss the little hibatchis they had years ago but people can be irresposible with fire. I know Bx falls is not a beach but it is a short hike and a great way cool off and enjoy the shade.

Maybe the folks in Vernon are just nice to me because I am grinning ear to ear. I love it!
mammamoon
Fledgling

Post by mammamoon »

powerglide wrote:I'm not sure where to begin on this. Don't shop here? bring what you need you can't get it here? people are rude? No culture??!?!? My goodness! I have lived away from Vernon for 19 years and am thrilled to be working there again! You want good service and friendly smiles? head to the timmy's by the Mc donalds, Helmuts sausage kitchen, Butcherboys, Hunters store, peoples Market, the roster, Sir Winston's pub, A&W in the fruit union plaza, chips ahoy infront of Rona, Bakers dozen, fine kettle of fish, Red top shoes, the cowboys choice heck Acklands Granger was excellent! Try the petro can on middleton, the esso on 97th, Canadian tire, Friendly smiles and polite conversation is all I have recieved from these spots and others I may have forgot to mention, I have been reccomended to other businesses by some of these businesses if they didn't have exactly what I was looking for! As for the poster who helped the fellow with the broken down car on the highway I sure could have used your help in kelowna @ enterprise and spall last april, I even had my hood up so people would know I couldn't move, blinkers on and everything! after 35minutes waiting for a tow truck only one young man hopped out to ask if I was ok and if I needed any help.

No culture. Hmmmm. Another brain bender on where to start on this one.....Head down to the Vernon art gallery and help yourself to a piece of chalk, you are encouraged to draw on the sidewalk, the talking donkey has open mic on wednesday, the performing arts center is booked for months so grab a show, you have the powerhouse theater and the Caravan theater Co. There is a skate park at the entrance of the town covered in local art! look at the side of the science center or dozens of other buildings around town. If you are starving for food and culture the Midsummers Eve of the Arts is July 21 for a full saturation.

I like to go to Juniper and jade bays for my beaches, Kin is a good place for people with thier dogs at one end and kids can play on the monkey bars at the other end, I do miss the little hibatchis they had years ago but people can be irresposible with fire. I know Bx falls is not a beach but it is a short hike and a great way cool off and enjoy the shade.

Maybe the folks in Vernon are just nice to me because I am grinning ear to ear. I love it!

I agree with this person's views. All the places you mentioned and more! I am firm believer that with our minds we create our world, whether you live in Vernon or Madrid, there will always be those nasty people, or poor service you name it! But why focus on the bad? Especiallu when there is sooo much good! All around us! Why I have travelled, lived places all over the world, and I always come back. There is something special about this place, but its because I get out from behind the computer and explore it, talk with people, do business, volunteer and work hard!! Why do you think people from all over the place come here to visit?? Because its flippin gorgeous! and we are some of the most friendly people on earth! I hear it all the time!

I really find it hard to sympathize with the person who made the first post, once again, loose your negative attitude, and get out more. And if it is really that bad then please leave, cuz it's probably people like you, that are making the rest of us look bad!

peace!
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

mammamoon wrote:
powerglide wrote:I'm not sure where to begin on this. Don't shop here? bring what you need you can't get it here? people are rude? No culture??!?!? My goodness! I have lived away from Vernon for 19 years and am thrilled to be working there again! You want good service and friendly smiles? head to the timmy's by the Mc donalds, Helmuts sausage kitchen, Butcherboys, Hunters store, peoples Market, the roster, Sir Winston's pub, A&W in the fruit union plaza, chips ahoy infront of Rona, Bakers dozen, fine kettle of fish, Red top shoes, the cowboys choice heck Acklands Granger was excellent! Try the petro can on middleton, the esso on 97th, Canadian tire, Friendly smiles and polite conversation is all I have recieved from these spots and others I may have forgot to mention, I have been reccomended to other businesses by some of these businesses if they didn't have exactly what I was looking for! As for the poster who helped the fellow with the broken down car on the highway I sure could have used your help in kelowna @ enterprise and spall last april, I even had my hood up so people would know I couldn't move, blinkers on and everything! after 35minutes waiting for a tow truck only one young man hopped out to ask if I was ok and if I needed any help.

I agree with this person's views. All the places you mentioned and more! I am firm believer that with our minds we create our world, whether you live in Vernon or Madrid, there will always be those nasty people, or poor service you name it! But why focus on the bad? Especiallu when there is sooo much good! All around us! Why I have travelled, lived places all over the world, and I always come back. There is something special about this place, but its because I get out from behind the computer and explore it, talk with people, do business, volunteer and work hard!! Why do you think people from all over the place come here to visit?? Because its flippin gorgeous! and we are some of the most friendly people on earth! I hear it all the time!

I really find it hard to sympathize with the person who made the first post, once again, loose your negative attitude, and get out more. And if it is really that bad then please leave, cuz it's probably people like you, that are making the rest of us look bad!

peace!

It WAS "flipping gorgeous" before the plowed all the orchard and natural areas under to build condos and strip malls.
VERNON HAS NO IDENTITY!!!!
I've been here since I was born in the 70's and there is almost nothing left of the town I grew up in.

Did you know we used to have a Chinatown? I could go on and on but people seem to like mediocrity and the status quo. I don't. I like a town with identity.
April lady

Post by April lady »

I was born here and hae been ignoring all these negative comments, I love this town and I like the growth that has been happening. I don't agree with any of the negative comments, those people just love to complain about everything. Even if this was a "happening" place, they would find something else to complain about. The ony thing I would change would be those people, you don't belong here, you have no ties obviously. Why did you come here in the first place? You need to leave if you are not happy, bye, bye!!!
mamabee

Post by mamabee »

Lot of people don't like change...and prefer status quo. Imagine what the world would be like if these people ruled...oh my god, we'd still be burning witches at the stake, beating our children, have slaves, etc. Thank goodness there are people in this world (and this town) that want to create a better place...even if it means 'appearing negative'! Wake up folks and let's make this town a better place to live!
powerglide

Post by powerglide »

I stand corrected! Dogs are not allowed in Kin beach park. but all the friendly folks I met there with their pooches (also very friendly) were kind and encouraging when I introduced my puppy to the lovely lake for the first and second time. As far as identity goes are Vernonites aware of how evolved their recycling program is compared to the rest of North America? How it was introduced over a decade before most metropolises in Canada? The town is riddled with murals! C'mon, seriously, with events like Funtastic ant the Vernon Winter Carnival? No Identity? Okanagan Spring Brewery is world wide! Did you know that Watkin motors Vernon is one of the oldest Ford dealerships in North America? People, you are Vernons identity, if you walk around with a sour puss on your face then that's what you'll get in return, but not from me because I will disarm you with a good morning and a smile :)
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

April lady wrote:I was born here and hae been ignoring all these negative comments, I love this town and I like the growth that has been happening. I don't agree with any of the negative comments, those people just love to complain about everything. Even if this was a "happening" place, they would find something else to complain about. The ony thing I would change would be those people, you don't belong here, you have no ties obviously. Why did you come here in the first place? You need to leave if you are not happy, bye, bye!!!

Excuse me? Read my post, if you can I WAS BORN HERE TOO!!
I was here when Vernon was a nice place. We didn't have junkies wondering the streets, there weren't used needles littering public places, you could afford to live here, THERE WERE GOOD HIGH PAYING JOBS, locals could actually afford to do things like go skiing (we had two ski hills at one time....) and success wasn't measured in how much land you could plow under for many new high end condo's that were built in a single year. Also, in Vernon, we send intent on erasing our history. Heritage building mean NOTHING. Take the old national Hotel. Could've been renovated into a nice place but NO they bulldoze it for another generic souless pub for coke heads and sluts.
I don't think you've been here long enough to full appreciate how far this town has gone downhill and why some of us, who have been here a long time, are so upset at how it is now.
Yep that right sister, stick your head in the sand and everything is AOK as long as you have your fast food chains and discount Wal-mart right?

VERNON HAS LOST ITS IDENTITY.

Return to “North Okanagan”