New jail to be built between Oliver and Penticton

spacecadet
Fledgling

Prison in Penticton

Post by spacecadet »

So, folks, what do you think of the Mayor's statement that Penticton will be looking at it's options with regards to the Prison the Government is trying to sell to the Okanagan? Good paying jobs - good tax base. Maybe it could be built up Carmi, instead of a residential area?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Prison in Penticton

Post by XT225 »

spacecadet wrote:So, folks, what do you think of the Mayor's statement that Penticton will be looking at it's options with regards to the Prison the Government is trying to sell to the Okanagan? Good paying jobs - good tax base. Maybe it could be built up Carmi, instead of a residential area?

Shhh........that's supposed to be a secret. It's in the bag already....even have a name for it: "Sendero Correctional Institute"! :dyinglaughing:
Dayleen
Board Meister

Post by Dayleen »

Penticton doesn't have the land needed to have anything like that. You have nowhere to grow. Lake on either side. reserve on the other, mountain the other...good luck!
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

Mayor Dan Ashton wrote:"I know the province is looking in the valley, they want to be near a core sevice area which is a municicpality. It brings an awful lot of jobs, 300 plus incredibly well paying jobs. I know the province is looking and I'm quite sure we'll be getting some information in the future as to what they are requesting."

With the lack of available land in Penticton it would be surprising to see it built here. It is possible that someone from the Penticton Indian Band could step forward with some of their land but there seems to be alot more interest in the project in the North Okanagan. I can't see how a prison would help Penticton's image as a tourist destination either.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Darkre wrote:
Mayor Dan Ashton wrote:"I know the province is looking in the valley, they want to be near a core sevice area which is a municicpality. It brings an awful lot of jobs, 300 plus incredibly well paying jobs. I know the province is looking and I'm quite sure we'll be getting some information in the future as to what they are requesting."

With the lack of available land in Penticton it would be surprising to see it built here. It is possible that someone from the Penticton Indian Band could step forward with some of their land but there seems to be alot more interest in the project in the North Okanagan. I can't see how a prison would help Penticton's image as a tourist destination either.

I thought I saw somewhere that it would require a min 10 acre parcel?? You're right Dark one, PIB is the only source for a large enough flat chunk of land. Maybe they could get over the Provincial hurdles for a channel crossing for a prison rather than a shopping complex. After all isn't only one access point desirable for a prison. :nutzoid:
Personally I have mixed feelings on a prison here. 300 good paying jobs plus at least that again in community spinoff and support would be a great thing. Image is however a problem. There is that NIMBY problem too. I'd probably vote yes but could be swayed to no.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

For a prison, I like the old Brenda Mine site proposal better. Nobody lives around there and it already has power, water and highway access, etc. From there, the workers could commute to several nearby communities to live.
Why on earth should prisoners enjoy high-priced prime real estate in the OK Valley and annoy NIMBYs.
Last edited by nepal on Feb 5th, 2011, 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
irish61
Fledgling

Post by irish61 »

Use the SOEC! :ohmygod:
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

:rate1: Ahem ... don't think that is the crowd that Carrie Underwood (and other big talents) would be expecting in the audience.
irish61
Fledgling

Post by irish61 »

But it's a guaranteed sell out every night! (just joking) Seriously though, no I do not want a prison in Penticton.
GEW
Fledgling

Post by GEW »

I personally would like to see it built. 300 jobs would be a huge asset to the area, which has been stung by mill and manufacturing closures in the past two years.
on the topic of Penticton running out of available land. I really think that the city needs a boundary extension to remain viable. Penticton should move to amalgamate the presently unincorporated Okanagan Falls, in my humble opinion. I am not a politician or special interest group, but I have met nothing but opposistion when I suggest this to people. I can already hear the people of OK falls being outraged because of Penticton's reputation for reckless spending, but I think if you combined the amalgamation with a fiscally responsible city council, it would do wonders for the entire area. The old Weyerhauser mill site could be a good location for a new jail.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

If the people of OK Falls would be outraged at the thought of joining Penticton then that would just about kill it right there wouldn't it?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GEW
Fledgling

Post by GEW »

Yeah it probably would, if the majority of citizens were opposed; That is what referendums are for I guess. They could build the prison there anyway even if the Falls wasn't incorporated.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

GEW wrote:I personally would like to see it built. 300 jobs would be a huge asset to the area, which has been stung by mill and manufacturing closures in the past two years.
on the topic of Penticton running out of available land. I really think that the city needs a boundary extension to remain viable. Penticton should move to amalgamate the presently unincorporated Okanagan Falls, in my humble opinion. I am not a politician or special interest group, but I have met nothing but opposistion when I suggest this to people. I can already hear the people of OK falls being outraged because of Penticton's reputation for reckless spending, but I think if you combined the amalgamation with a fiscally responsible city council, it would do wonders for the entire area. The old Weyerhauser mill site could be a good location for a new jail.

Why, oh why, would OK Falls want to join Penticton? We have a great tax base, a fine little community, and we are doing just fine. Joining Penticton would do nothing for us.

The Weyerhauser site is already bought, and the plans are underway for development up there.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the prison, but I hate to say I'd be a NIMBY - perhaps up Carmi is a good location.
trugertha

Post by trugertha »

i don't want it in penticton and defiantly don't want it at brenda mines, thats where alot of ppl camp, sled, quad. if someone were to escape they'd be gone in a few mins, many logging roads to disappear on.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

I think some of you need to take notice as to where other prisons are located in this province........ Its usually not a very long commute for the staff, and many are located within busy urban areas.

PS most escapees once escaped - probably won't be hangin around penticton.....

Its a lot of high paying jobs, and the fearmongerring about escapees and having criminals in the community don't hold much weight. Vancouver Island regional correctional facility is nestled within multiple residential areas and is walking distance to schools and shopping - where is the outcry?????

Return to “North Okanagan”