RCMP Costs

Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

RCMP Costs

Post by Madhue »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#129083

More increases, limited consultation. Is it time for the Okanagan to begin to explore their own Policing agency? RCMP administration have really strong armed a number of communities in contracts, new detachments and fee hikes. Why are we not exploring this option? Think its time.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: RCMP Costs

Post by Relentless »

In a better world, the RCMP wouldn't be the prime Police force in our Municipalities, but this is what we get, and we can't express our concerns to anyone, as they mean nothing. Paying higher property taxes for service increases are about all that is guaranteed, because there will always be contracts that are subject to "hidden increases" and costs.

It used to be that we had 2 guaranteed things in life, taxes and dying, now we have taxes, taxes on taxes, increased taxes, and a more expensive funeral.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Madhue wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-129083-21-.htm#129083

More increases, limited consultation. Is it time for the Okanagan to begin to explore their own Policing agency? RCMP administration have really strong armed a number of communities in contracts, new detachments and fee hikes. Why are we not exploring this option? Think its time.

I wonder how the per capita cost of policing is for the community of Nelson? Having their own Police Dept for many years it would be an interesting comparison to our RCMP.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

Would be almost impossible to run this town like Nelson does. We do not own a dam to help cover costs and we are also not a huge pot producer. Think about it..... Because the city of Nelson is so involved in the production of weed it benefits them to own their police force. Did you know that the city of Nelson ran a 25 million dollar profit last year? Next time you go there, notice all the brand new city trucks and police cars. That town has no shortage of cash and is hugely corrupted. Still a pretty sweet place tho
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

by UltraViolet » Today, 11:59 am

In a better world, the RCMP wouldn't be the prime Police force in our Municipalities

Hmm, not sure it would make for a better world, but it was suggested in Volume 1 of the Air India Commission report that it could make for a more secure Canada.

Observations
1. In light of all the evidence before it, the Commission believes that the RCMP
is not properly structured to deal with the unique challenges of terrorism
investigations. There is merit in considering structural changes to allow
for a greater degree of specialization and for a more concentrated focus on
investigating and supporting the prosecution of national security off offences. This
may mean divesting the RCMP of its contract policing duties so as to simplify
lines of communication and to clarify the national dimensions of its mandate as
a pan-Canadian police force.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

wanderingchef wrote:Would be almost impossible to run this town like Nelson does. We do not own a dam to help cover costs and we are also not a huge pot producer. Think about it..... Because the city of Nelson is so involved in the production of weed it benefits them to own their police force. Did you know that the city of Nelson ran a 25 million dollar profit last year? Next time you go there, notice all the brand new city trucks and police cars. That town has no shortage of cash and is hugely corrupted. Still a pretty sweet place tho

Sorry but the comparison is still valid. It does not matter that Nelson has a cash cow in the Bonnington Falls Power Plant. What I am interested in is the per capita cost of policing. Just cuz they have the money doesn't mean they are paying more for community policing. What is Abbotsford or North Van's per capita cost?
This brings up an interesting aside that is perhaps OT but what do you think the chances of the Bonnington Falls power plant being built today rather than 1900ish? I am thinking you would have every hippie in Nelson, and there are lots, plus every FN within 1000km opposing it.

West Kootenay Power (now Fortis) actually fought through the courts against the construction of Nelson's Bonnington Falls generating plant. Wonder why? And they lost the court case.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Saanich, Delta, Port Moody, NewWesminster all have their own police force. A regonial police force for the okanagan valley is really not that odd a concept.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I believe this concept was looked at (or at least a city police force) prior to signing the new provincial contract. It was deemed too expensive.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Fancy wrote:I believe this concept was looked at (or at least a city police force) prior to signing the new provincial contract. It was deemed too expensive.

yeah I recall the City of Kelowna toying with that concept when RCMP were strong-arming their last contract. I suspect it was more a ploy than a true attempt. I do believe that start up costs would be high at first however communities would receive better service for a nominal price, at price the City would set not the RCMP. Lets keep in mind that Cities like Lethbridge and Coadale have their own PD. Camrose too... these are all small Cities that have made the move to Municipal Policing. I truely belive we need to explore this as a viable option for the Okanagan.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

.[/quote]
yeah I recall the City of Kelowna toying with that concept when RCMP were strong-arming their last contract. I suspect it was more a ploy than a true attempt. I do believe that start up costs would be high at first however communities would receive better service for a nominal price, at price the City would set not the RCMP. Lets keep in mind that Cities like Lethbridge and Coadale have their own PD. Camrose too... these are all small Cities that have made the move to Municipal Policing. I truely belive we need to explore this as a viable option for the Okanagan.[/quote]

What makes you think communities would get better service? Id much rather deal with the RCMP than the VPD. It seems the community forces are actually worse.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

chicklo wrote:
What makes you think communities would get better service? Id much rather deal with the RCMP than the VPD. It seems the community forces are actually worse.

I think the service would be comparable. What you would get with a community police force that you can't with the RCMP is local control and accountability. Gone would be Ottawa negotiating how much Pension we pay for, what kind of building we must build, who you hire etc etc. The revolving door of transferee's would end too and perhaps we would have career police that are around long enough to get to know a generation of people and local families. That is worth a bundle in itself.

I see it much like community Fire Departments. Would you prefer a National Fire Fighting Force over the current community model? I would think not.

southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Twobits, although I agree with you on certain points, having lived in Nelson with a city police force, I can tell you that officers being in one location longer and getting to know families and individuals in the community can also be a liability. It is common knowledge in Nelson that it's not what you know when pertaining to the law but who you know and who knows you. There were also other circumstances that occurred with certain members of the city police that were never dealt with. Those unfortunately I cannot divulge. What was really interesting living in Nelson was having the RCMP regional detachment in Nelson and their members going for a pop on a Friday night only to run into City Police Members. Usually, the fight was on and it was usually the RCMP who won.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

GREAT post by twobits. Bravo! Southy, we aren't talking about Andy and Barney policing Mayberry here. The Okanagan is big enough that favoritism in who you know may not be such a problem. I think it warrants investigating, anyways. I despise the Feds way of bullying (that's exactly what it is) us into building what the RCMP want for a new building or else they have it built and bill us for it. That's unfair. We need more coppers on the streets; not in fancy buildings. Surrey is asking for 100 (yes..one-hundred) more police. Serious problems down there but the Okanagan isn't immune. An Okanagan-wide police force might be just what we need and since we would have control, costs might end up being cheaper in the long run.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

If RCMP costs are becoming so high perhaps we need to start looking at a provincial force similar to say Ontario.

I must admit I do agree with Twobits that local control and accountability would be good. So that being said maybe each region ie: south Okanagan would have it's own budget.
Last edited by southy on Dec 19th, 2014, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “North Okanagan”